Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
CKWatson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Slightly different question.

I want to position a camera on the light pole about 50-75 feet in front of my house.  Would this be too far for the signal?  Would using a WiFi extender in a front bedroom make a difference.

I'm trying to capture the entire front of my home from one camera to monitor the front door and driveway/garage doors also.

Thank you.

C Watson

Kennesaw, GA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CloudHopper
Apprentice
Apprentice

If I put my Arlo base station by a window, I can get the camera to work up to a range of circa 200ft from the house (with no other obstacles in between).
Through two walls, the useful range is about 80 to 100ft.

Of course there are variabilites depending on wall thickness, interference etc. The above is just my experience.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The quick answer is that you'd have to try it.  The range is dependent on so many things - router position within the house, walls/duct work/wiring/other obstacles and interfering 2.4GHz. devices in the WiFi path, etc. If the router is buried at the wrong end of the house, an extender should (emphasis on should) help.

CKWatson
Aspirant
Aspirant

I anticipate the need for a WiFi extender, but I have little knowledge about them.

Any suggestions as to which ones have been used with good effect?

Thanks,

CKWatson

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The extender has to have an Ethernet port and sufficient bandwidth (1Mb/sec minimum - most should handle this easily). Other than these, pretty much any new extender should work fine.

CloudHopper
Apprentice
Apprentice

If I put my Arlo base station by a window, I can get the camera to work up to a range of circa 200ft from the house (with no other obstacles in between).
Through two walls, the useful range is about 80 to 100ft.

Of course there are variabilites depending on wall thickness, interference etc. The above is just my experience.