Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Why use a wifi bridge when a wifi-enabled smarthub is in place? Only required for signal boost?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ogxm
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have three cameras and their corresponding SmartHub. Two of the cameras seem marginal in connectivity (lower wifi signal level) but still operational. My understanding is that the cameras connect to their miscellaneous apps and portals through the SmartHub. Why would I consider installing the little "Arlo Wifi Bridge" (little white square) along this deployment?

Is the wifi bridge only required when a camera is connected directly to a wifi network and it needs a signal boost?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dcfox1
Master
Master

Yea that would help with the cam to hub connection.  I moved mine to middle of house and used a wifi extender that had a ethernet port to connect the hub. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dcfox1
Master
Master

Assuming you have an Ultra setup you have listed this may be moved to that forum this is the older arlo cams. But who told you consider or need an arlo wifi bridge. Just some clarity for us to help. But yes the cams connect directly to the hub and then the hub connects to internet via the ethernet cable to router.  So the cam to hub has nothing to do with your home wifi. 

ogxm
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for confirming it. No one really explicitly suggested it. I was wanting to understand the use of the little bridge in my scenario.
I’ll work on better placing the smarthub to improve connectivity.
dcfox1
Master
Master

Yea that would help with the cam to hub connection.  I moved mine to middle of house and used a wifi extender that had a ethernet port to connect the hub. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ogxm wrote:

Why would I consider installing the little "Arlo Wifi Bridge" (little white square) along this deployment?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but it sounds like you are talking about the Bluetooth bridge that is needed for the Arlo Light.