Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 27 Replies
  • 38 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice
27 REPLIES 27
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The primary account holder only allows one log in at a time.... if your logged on the web and access via app, you will be logged out.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

@TomMac 

Thanks.  That's not the issue (although that is another issue I'd love to see addressed.)

Beginning in early September of this year (around the 4th or 5th), the web portal automatically signs-out users at some interval <30 minutes.  It used to do it at about 12 hours.  We also used to be able to close the browser windows and remain logged in, so when we reopened the app, we'd still be logged in.  The apps still work that way.

On the browser, if there's no interaction for some period < 30 minutes, or if you refresh the browser, you're logged out.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As a side note... depending on which cameras, they mostly time out at 30 mins... ( exception is the Q and Baby )

this was done to prevent battery draining if forgotten on.

Know this doesn't solve you issue... but cams have always worked that way.

Maybe now when the cam goes down so does the site

Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok, maybe I'm doing a poor job of explaining the issue?  I am not talking about the cameras. 

Try it for yourself.  Try it both on the web portal and on a mobile app.

Do you primarily use a mobile app?  How many times/day are you asked to re-authenticate.  Once logged in, are you asked to reauthenticate even if you close then reopen the app?

Now try the same thing on the web portal.  Log in and come back 1/2 hour later, or refresh the web page, or close your browser windows and come back.  Does that help?

Arlo knows they made this change, and they refuse to answer queries about it.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Mostly via web... will test and respond

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Tested the web access and Yes, it timed out in about 30-40 mins and required a log in.

But the Android app did the same.  I let it run ( opened another app so it was in background ) and when I went back at 40 mins it required a login even tho still in background.

( I use a finger print log in on an S7 )

Don't see a diff.  I believe it's a security thing that Arlo put in in case forgotten left on.

Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

>Tested the web access and Yes, it timed out in about 30-40 mins and required a log in.

Yes, now you understand the issue. Again it didn't do this previously. It only required an authentication after ~12 hours.

>But the Android app did the same. I let it run ( opened another app so it was in background ) and when I went back at 40 mins it required a login even tho still in background.

The IOS app is not the same. I launch it (iphone or ipad), put it in the background, close it, etc. I can even reboot my phone, and as soon as I launch the app, it automatically logs back in. I just tested this to verify. I don't have to interact with it at all, and days and even weeks later I do not have to re-authenticate. In fact, since they rolled out this change a couple of months ago, I think I've only had to authenticate twice on IOS.

>I believe it's a security thing that Arlo put in in case forgotten left on.

Yes, we're aware of that, but it's the wrong decision, especially since it's not being applied equally. I work on my computer all day long. I want to be able to have this running in a separate webpage (like I used to do), and when I need to interact with it, it's there and available. I don't mind it logging me out after 12 hours, but 30 minutes makes it useless. Now, almost always when I get to the page, it's timed out and takes forever to log back in. By the time I do, it's too late to interact, or to react quickly. The main thing the webpage is useful for now is reviewing past videos and downloading anything I want to keep. It's become virtually useless for real-time interaction. It has become *way* too slow, and this forced log-out makes it even worse to try to use.

There are additional reasons to preferring the webpage interface, size, ease-of-use, etc. I can initiate a manual recording and do other things on my computer while it's recording. Try that on the phone. You can't. As soon as the IOS app loses focus, recording stops. Arlo needs to fix this.

Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

>Tested the web access and Yes, it timed out in about 30-40 mins and required a log in.

Yes, now you understand the issue.  Again it didn't do this previously.  It only required an authentication after ~12 hours.

>But the Android app did the same.  I let it run ( opened another app so it was in background ) and when I went back at 40 mins it required a login even tho still in background.

The IOS app is not the same.  I launch it (iphone or ipad), put it in the background, close it, etc.  I can even reboot my phone, and as soon as I launch the app, it automatically logs back in.  I just tested this to verify. I don't have to interact with it at all, and days and even weeks later I do not have to re-authenticate.  In fact, since they rolled out this change a couple of months ago, I think I've only had to authenticate twice on IOS.

Yes, we're aware of that, but it's the wrong decision, especially since it's not being applied equally.  I work on my computer all day long.  I want to be able to have this running in a separate webpage (like I used to do), and when I need to interact with it, it's there and available.  I don't mind it logging me out after 12 hours, but 30 minutes makes it useless.  Now, almost always when I get to the page, it's timed out and takes forever to log back in.  By the time I do, it's too late to interact, or to react quickly.  The main thing the webpage is useful for now is reviewing past videos and downloading anything I want to keep.  It's become virtually useless for real-time interaction.  It has become *way* too slow, and this forced log-out makes it even worse to try to use.

There are additional reasons to preferring the webpage interface, size, ease-of-use, etc.  I can initiate a manual recording and do other things on my computer while it's recording.  Try that on the phone.  You can't.  As soon as the IOS app loses focus, recording stops. Arlo needs to fix this.

Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey Mods.  STOP editing my posts.

The original subject line to this reads: STOP LOGGING ME OUT OF THE WEB PORTAL

There's a reason for that. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Macahi wrote:

Yes, we're aware of that, but it's the wrong decision

FWIW, I agree it was a bad decision.  I find it particularly annoying to have to log in again after refreshing my browser, after pressing the back button, or after enabling flash in Chrome.  None of that is necessary.

Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Please fix this.

ar10West
Tutor
Tutor

I believe I am facing the same issue. I seem to be logged in continually on my Androd app, however, at my desktop machine (Windows 10 w/Chrome browser), I continually get logged out after approx 1 minute of no activity. Very annoying!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @ar10West

Does this occur on another pc as well? 

ar10West
Tutor
Tutor

@ShayneS 

I was able to remain logged in on a Windows 10 laptop - unless I refreshed the page - then it logged out.

Everything is current on the Windows 10 desktop machine where I am experiencing the issue, and again, I get logged out repeatedly in Chrome or Firefox.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support

ar10West
Tutor
Tutor

I already tried that. The chat technician did not offer any effective solutions, however, a case was opened:

Case Number: 41453137

firesec
Guide
Guide

older  thread I know but bumping this is better then creating another.
I to have noticed this.

I personally think Arlo should give the option to auto log out after specific length of time for those that want it, because daddying everyone into one action will substantially reduce the flexibility and usability of your product.

How is anyone meant to use this product in any other way but a casual residential way, now that you force auto logouts. you're poisoning your own product line and shrinking the pool of prospective buyers substantially with this...and well that's really really silly. lol

Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have been recommending against Arlo to everyone I've spoken to for many months now.  I don't understand how they can continue to reduce the functionality, to make the product more and more difficult to use with each change, and expect that anyone will use it.  I feel like I've bought a lemon, and I'm trying to make sure no one else does too.  I've given up any semblance of hope that Arlo will ever address the issues raised.  They just don't care.

firesec
Guide
Guide

I totally understand how you feel.
We expect better from a product with such a high premium price tag + even more ongoing costs just to access the products marketed abilities, so I'm with you on that.

They aren't delivering.

Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

FIX THIS!

Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey Arlo, since you're obviously not going to fix the webpage, how about you update the apps so they have the same behavior?  Please force the apps to log out after 30 minutes.  Require a manual log in of email and password every time. 

Let's get some equality here.

jeremytm
Initiate
Initiate

There must be a bug at the moment. I'm getting this issue without even waiting for 30 minutes. I log in, I refresh the page. I am logged out. macOS, all browsers, have tested on multiple mac devices as well. How are companies this big (and wealthy) so bad at doing even the basics well?

dcfox1
Master
Master

@jeremytm  It has always been that way on the web page after you refresh the page while still logged in. 

Macahi
Apprentice
Apprentice

@dcfox1 No it hasn't.  They changed it about 1 year ago.  It used to be that we'd stay logged in for a full 12 hours, even if we refreshed the page.  Even if we closed and reopened all of the browser windows.  Even if I shut down and restarted the computer.  That's what this entire thread, and the others like it, are about.  Bring that back.

Edit: Sorry dcfox1, I misunderstood your post.  It hasn't always been like this until they made the change a year ago.  Since they made the change, yes, it has acted like that.  If you refresh the page, you're logged out.

I count Arlo as one of my top worst purchases ever.