Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
GK1025
Tutor
Tutor

I have been using 3 Arlo Pro 2 cameras with a VMB3500 base station. I now want to add a video doorbell and couple of additional cameras. It appears that the VMB3500 base station will not support the video doorbell, and has a limit on the number of cameras. Is this correct? Does Arlo support trade-ins if someone wants to upgrade?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GK1025 wrote:

Thanks @StephenB , this is very helpful. So if I understand correctly, additional doorbells and cameras can be purchased a la carte and connected directly to the home wifi network without having to invest in another base station, and I can still continue to use the old cameras as before.

Yes.

The cloud subscription requirement is certainly an inhibitor though. I suppose that does not include alert response either (notifying authorities in the event of suspicious activity etc.)

Emergency response is a subscription feature (Arlo Secure Plus), and is only available in the US.  Note it isn't automatic, you would still need to initiate the response from the app.

With no subscription, you will get motion alert notification on your phone, and can view live video (but no recordings).  Contacting authorities would be up to you, and would not be done from the app.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GK1025 wrote:

It appears that the VMB3500 base station will not support the video doorbell, and has a limit on the number of cameras. Is this correct?

It definitely doesn't support the video doorbell or any of the newer cameras.  Not sure if there is a strict limit on cameras (this isn't a base I use). 

@GK1025 wrote:

Does Arlo support trade-ins if someone wants to upgrade?

No, though personally I think it would be a good idea for them to do that.

@GK1025 wrote:

I now want to add a video doorbell and couple of additional cameras. 

Many newer cameras (Pro 3 floodlight, Pro 4, Essential, and the doorbells) can connect directly to your home wifi with no base station.

Also, hopefully you are aware that all of the newer cameras (starting with the Ultra back in 2018) will require a subscription for cloud storage.  Arlo stopped offering the free 7-day cloud storage (though you still have it with older cameras like the Pro 2).

GK1025
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks @StephenB , this is very helpful. So if I understand correctly, additional doorbells and cameras can be purchased a la carte and connected directly to the home wifi network without having to invest in another base station, and I can still continue to use the old cameras as before.

The Arlo web site is very confusing, and I couldn't even find a customer support contact number to call for questions. 

The cloud subscription requirement is certainly an inhibitor though. I suppose that does not include alert response either (notifying authorities in the event of suspicious activity etc.)

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GK1025 wrote:

Yes.

Emergency response is a subscription feature (Arlo Secure Plus), and is only available in the US.  Note it isn't automatic, you would still need to initiate the response from the app.

With no subscription, you will get motion alert notification on your phone, and can view live video (but no recordings).  Contacting authorities would be up to you, and would not be done from the app.