Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Turning off the infrared off

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Fun-boy
Initiate
Initiate

Is it possible to turn the infrared off ?

I have place it inside my patio widow it has a bright spot on my screen.

Does it still sense motion through the glass ?

20 REPLIES 20
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No it is not possible to turn off th IR ilumination at this time... So as you found, when placing the camera inside the window, you get reflection of the IR which effects the camera view.

Also, the IR sense for motion will not work through the glass.

The camera is waterproof and made to be placed outdoors to overcome these problems.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Fun-boy
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks Tom

Yes we know it can be installed out doors.

It can also be stolen in seconds.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes we know it can be installed out doors.

It can also be stolen in seconds.

Not trying to make fun... but one of my mounts is under the roof eve.  If you can get it , go ahead.

It's prob 10feet up and I have to drag out a ladder when I use it.

R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

TomMac wrote:

Not trying to make fun... but one of my mounts is under the roof eve.  If you can get it , go ahead.

It's prob 10feet up and I have to drag out a ladder when I use it.

C'MON Tom; that's a no-go.  You've been here long enough know that SEVEN feet is optimal!   😉

But seriously (and as a general comment), Arlo being wireless and waterproof for outside use is both a Godsend AND a curse.  I guess at some point we just have to hope honest people will remain honest.  And making them ladder-worthy at 7-10 feet is certainly a good way to encourage that folks remain that way.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

snip.... 7-10 feet is certainly a good way to encourage that folks remain that way.

Thats' why i wrapped one camera up in camo cloth for use in the bushes.  🙂

R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

I was thinking a very similar thing for at least my nature-situated camera (to come shortly).  I want it to blend as opposed to drawing attention to it. 

In a similar vein -- so hopefully I don't have to start a new post -- may I ask if it is true that a light on the camera comes on when it's recording?  I'm concerned about catching somebody at night and am not enamored with the thought that they might see the camera's light like a beacon and steal or destroy it.  If there IS a light, would a simple piece of black electrical tape do the trick...?

4vrnvr
Apprentice
Apprentice

No recording light, just the IR light.

R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

Is the IR light [on the Arlo] of sufficient brightness that it could be seen by someone at night?   Make that "detected" by someone at night.

4vrnvr
Apprentice
Apprentice

Its not bright but in darkness could be spotted if someone is looking around. If you place the camera up at that 7 to 10 foot height they could miss it.

4vrnvr
Apprentice
Apprentice

Also the IR isn't on until recording starts. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If there IS a light, would a simple piece of black electrical tape do the trick...?

Is the IR light [on the Arlo] of sufficient brightness that it could be seen by someone at night?   Make that "detected" by someone at night.

Yes, if you create a "mask" for the camera face with elec tape ( to cover the IR leds ), it will block the light.  The camera will still convert over to a B/W mode when dark but have no illumination unless you provide external light.

Yes, the IR leds put out at 850nm. In real talk, they put out a dim red glow when on.  The glow is visable but it's not like turning on a flashlight.

If not in your line of sight when it kicks on, you wouldn't notice.

BTW, the external flood lights that Vuezone used work great with these as additional lighting. ( flood had a longer range and fov, but do require being plugged in )

R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks all (re my side questions); that seems to cover things.

MIke12
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is a bad design ... There should absolutely, be an option to disable the IR illumination regardless if the camera is to be placed out doors or not. For now 2 options ...

1. Place tape on where the IR LEDs are located (easy)

2. Open camera and disconnect IR LED's (this is difficult to do)

To designers... In the Settings page of the camera, there should be an option to disable IR Illumination. (we know that this requires circuitry and/or firmware modification

Smiley Happy

KristynM
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello,

The development team is always looking for new ideas to improve our Arlo system.

You should drop your idea about having the addition of Turning off the Infrared/Night Vision inside the Arlo Idea Exchange

Thank you.

Regards,
KristynM
Arlo Support Team
NekkedRunner
Initiate
Initiate

Nobody with eyes could miss the IR, even at max height.

Doubt there are many blind burglars so don't expect the cams to not be seen, especially at night when the IR leds are like an banner saying, "Here I Am".  lol

Best you can do is keep the cam out of easy reach.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

NekkedRunner wrote:

Nobody with eyes could miss the IR, even at max height.

Doubt there are many blind burglars so don't expect the cams to not be seen, especially at night when the IR leds are like an banner saying, "Here I Am".  lol

Best you can do is keep the cam out of easy reach.

If you haven't seen yet... the option to turn off the IR is now available for Arlo cams... if you have enough normal lighting like floods

In my experience tho, most of the time Overt cameras are better than Covert...

calebsw
Aspirant
Aspirant

TomMac, did this feature get removed between the time you posted and today?  Or did you just mean there's a way to disable night vision mode? Because I can only see how to disable night vision mode, which is the only way to disable the IR leds.  Just wondering where this feature should be.  I'd like to disable the IR leds without disabling nv mode.  Otherwise, i suppose electrical tape would be an acceptable solution, as some other guys have mentioned here

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The night vision switch is just for the IR illuminators, not the ability to use the camera at night.
BobInPhx
Aspirant
Aspirant

This discussion of camera settings is perpexing.  I just bought this system, applied all updates, and the only camera settings I see on the app and the website are:

Camera Name: a Setting - which doesn't seem to sync with the web site and all app users

Camera On/Off: a Setting of dubious usefulness

Battery: Not a setting

Connection: Not a setting

Device Info: Not a setting

Remove Device: OK, perhaps you can classify this as a seting.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

you need to explore more

under each cams settings you go into video settings for such things as IR on/off, picture inversion and video quality

go into modes and the camera and, among other things you can set the sensitivity and recording lemgth

explore, read and learn.