Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
beachbumdb
Star
Star

These cameras are supposed to be able to use rechargeable batteries.

I purchased 8 for my 2 cameras.

The charger indicates that they have a full charge but when put in the cameras

the battery indicator shows red and empty.

I couldnt get the cameras to work correctly when you click on the camera icon.

Instead of the normal camera view with the top icons,

All I get is a message that say view live streaming on new camera

I did have 8 new non-rechargeable batteries and put them in,

the cameras now operate correctly.

Has anyone else had a problem using rechargables.

The way this system eats batteries, rechargables are needed.

I paid $20 for 4 batteries at walmart and $30 for 4 batteries at rite aid. (all non-rechargeables)

They only lasted for about 3 weeks.  Without rechargables I will be spending

about $40 a month on batteries.  

For that I can have adt install outdoor cameras on their pulse system.

87 REPLIES 87
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just installed the rechargeable (gray, not purple) in one camera. Both were at 1.2.2222 firmware level but both are now at 1.1.2074. The rechargeable batteries are holding up so far with full charge after >2 hours. I wasn't watching to see whether the camera upgraded but both would have been done in spite of only one having been opened for batteries. Perhaps they changed after I had checked a day or two ago. In any event all seems well for the moment. Details as they develop...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nearly 24 hours later and batteries still show full. Base station is on 1.3.2261 with no problems. So far, so good.

Alpo
Star
Star

Interesting to hear.  I wonder why people are getting downgraded instead of upgraded.  I have two of three cameras back on non-rechargeables and are functioning normally, after being completely non-functional on the rechargeables.  The third is still limping along with one red bar even after a few motion detection events (certainly not enough to have exhausted two red bars in a few short days.)  Waiting for it to die before restoring original batteries.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I wonder if you have some bad batteries? Maybe some measuring as well as mixing and matching would be in order. I haven't installed the second set yet, was going to use them as replacements when the first set needed recharging. I'm using the 16340 cells TomMac suggested - are yours something different?

Alpo
Star
Star

These are brand new Tenergy batteries: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EYHO9G/  It is entirely possible they could be defective.  Unfortunately, I don't have other types of devices in which I can test.  Quite bad luck if that is the case.

Alpo
Star
Star

It's not the batteries.  After the last post, I realized I could stack these rechargeables into my flashlight, instead of using an 18650 battery.  Got about 48 min of runtime (before the low battery warning indicator appeared) out of both pairs that I had pulled from a camera.  Using the medium setting at I would guess about 300 lumens, that is a lot of light and heat generated.  Given the mAh rating of these, it seems proportional to what I've experienced with the longer runtime of the 18650s (750 vs. 3600 mAh).  So there is no way I could have drained these in a day or two from usage in the cameras.  So it is back to the firmware changes on either the base station or cameras.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

do you mean 16340s which are 123 size...

the 18650 are a different size

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Alpo
Star
Star

Hi TomMac, I do mean 18650--looking at the battery right now.  End to end, the light accepts 1-18650 or 2-CR123s.  

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Alpo wrote:

Hi TomMac, I do mean 18650--looking at the battery right now.  End to end, the light accepts 1-18650 or 2-CR123s.  

ok... thought you meant in the camera ( not flashlight )

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A few days later...

Batteries are holding up well so far.  Installed the second set in the other camera. Both are showing full charge after positioning and several lengthy video recordings. V1.1.2074 firmware seems to be fine.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Welp, first set of rechargeables died after just under 7 days. Some more adjustments needed...

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

4vrnvr wrote:

Can't help you with the rechargable problem, but my initial batteries have been in my cameras 6 weeks and are still showing a full charge. The battery life will depend on how much use the camera is getting. Mine on average is between 5 to 10 minutes a day.

Here is a great deal on batteries from surefire.

http://www.surefire.com/batteries/12-pack-batteries.html

Greg

Hi Greg, I'm still on the fence on getting rechargeables and asking all who have them, how are they holding up.  So now you should have some mileage on those Surefire and I'd like to ask, how are they holding up?

-Robert

-Robert
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Mine have been in since Easter. One camera is relatively light use and have 84 minutes of video. The heavy use camera has 330 minutes of video, equivalent to about 82 days of Arlo-speced useage of 4 minutes a day. The former is set for 30 seconds of recording with all 3 bars of battery shown while the latter is set for 60 seconds and has 2 bars showing. Both are set on Optimized. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Good to hear jguerdat...

I currently on day 36, with 1 bar down, going to let them run out till email messg says low... normal spec use on camera. ( best video, btw )

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Wow, those are great results so far from the both of you!

-Robert
Alpo
Star
Star

Regarding my prior posts about the cameras becoming unavailable, that appears to no longer be the case with the base on firmware 1.3.2261 and the cameras at 1.2.2412.  Not sure what changed, but the batteries have been reportedly flatlined for some weeks now but the cameras are otherwise fully functional.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My heavy usage camera just reported 15% left. Changing now although I wonder how much longer they'd last. 3 month's worth of normal usage is as good as I hoped even if actual usage is 3 weeks. Gotta get new neighbors.

Sallie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Batteries go dead fast, anyone used those recharging machines.  I have one but it wont handle the CR123.  Does anyone have a charger that works for that size

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sallie wrote:

Batteries go dead fast, anyone used those recharging machines.  I have one but it wont handle the CR123.  Does anyone have a charger that works for that size

Hi Sallie,

Are you using the cameras more than the specified Arlo normal use of 4-5 minutes?

Are you on the Energizers?

-Robert

-Robert
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you're using non-rechargeable batteries, DON'T TRY TO RECHARGE THEM! Don't want an explosion!

There are various threads here about recharegable batteries.  Try the Buying Options & Tips forum first.

larry366
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have 12 tenergy batteries a bought on amazon and they do the same thing show that there not charged.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

larry366 wrote:
I have 12 tenergy batteries a bought on amazon and they do the same thing show that there not charged.

read this thread;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/RECHARGABLE-BATTERIES-of-LiFePO4-format-appear-...

bg
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem using Tenergy RCR123A 3.0V 900mAh Rechargeable Li-Ion Batteries. I am lucky if I get 2 weeks of service when I replace the batteries.  It is very discouraging because I have 10 cameras and need to replace batteries constantly.  I was simply spending way too much money with the regular disposable batteries.  I suppose the only solution is to buy a different camera system.

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So far all I have read, Tenergy's don't seem to play well with our Arlo's.  I would consider reading the thread on rechargeables to make an educated decision in regards to making your next purchase of batteries. 

-Robert
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

RobertRosal wrote:

So far all I have read, Tenergy's don't seem to play well with our Arlo's.  I would consider reading the thread on rechargeables to make an educated decision in regards to making your next purchase of batteries. 

I believe the battery algorithm was prob optimized for the 3.7v cells ( and the 3.2 oem )... voltage drop out may be another problem due to not enough draw capacity