Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Anyone else notice an increase in the videos smearing at times?  Not browser ( as tested 2 ) and d/ls show the same.

My lag is still fairly short in the range of 1-2 seconds ( or about 3-4 ft ) but smearing has increased.

I don't really care about slight lag problem as an open floor plan allows multiple cams to trigger each other and second cams always get face shots but this smearing just ruins the video.

Data speeds 28Mbs+ down, 6Mbs up, with pings around 10-12ms

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
134 REPLIES 134
sirsteve1968
Apprentice
Apprentice

I did not get them at the same time; one I bought at Best Buy, the other (maybe a couple months later from Amazon), so two different merchants and at diff times. I did just call their support and was told to re-sync. I tried one cam and will monitor for a bit. Not sure this will resolve though.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

sirsteve1968 wrote:

Thanks to all who replied, but so far, I have yet to see what needs to be done to solve it. Again, my cams are both outside, yes, they are a fair distance from the base station, but that has NOT changed and this issue is getting beyond pathetic. I fear calling Arlo support because a: you get people who don't speak properly and b: give you crap from a script. I can do better on my own. But if someone has some GOOD, detailed steps to take OR if this is actually an issue Arlo may be "working on", I'd like to know that. Thank you again! 

Steve....

as to why it happens at this point is really an unknown since I started the thread in 8-11-2015

But I can say that it isn't MY cameras or system here.  Back then my system was pretty stable and all of a sudden the problem of " ghosting/ smearing " started. A few other users had it also.

The problem would come and go at all different times and then stop for a few weeks.  Seen the same with other users.

There were several sw upgrades along the way that seem to fix most of the complaints

As mentioned tho, for me lately it hasn't occurred ( without any changes in system ) at least in a couple months.

The consensus is/was that the problem arrises from a streaming problem along the chain and/or a combo of that with the compression and streaming.

Could it be interference , yes... but IMO I stand by the streaming issue being the cause.  Sorry to say i sort of drop following it as it cleared itself up.

Last note was that Netgear was looking at the issue.( a while ago )

sirsteve1968
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you TomMac for this info! Really appreciate this. Here's what I did yesterday:

1. Re-synced both cameras and also removed batteries

2. Rebooted system from the Settings option on the Arlo page

3. Turned off/on the Arlo base station and unplugged power cable

I've noticed some slight improvement and will continue to monitor. 

You say it is in your opinion, a streaming issue. Do you mean from the Arlo end? I ask that because my network/WiFi here is incredibly fast. I measured the Wifi minutes ago at about 80 down/12 up and wired speed (last time it was measured awhile ago was over 150 down). ALL other wirless devices, Xbox, Bose Wifi etc.,etc. are absolutely great! I don't see this odd issue when using live feed, only when reviewing footage from the Arlo cloud. 

You mention updates. My versions show:

2.1.1.766_13329 - under About

FW Version
1.7.5_6178

HW Version
VMB3010r2

Is this accurate and if not, how do I "force" the update? Thanks
KLG
Tutor
Tutor

I'm a psychologist and know nothing of the technology involved.  I do have an observation.  Why is it that my system remains the same, same camera placement, same base station placement, same internet system and speed, etc.  Why, when everything remains the same do I sometimes get "smearing videos"?  Why does the "smearing video" issue fluctuate from severe at times, to mostly totally absent at times?  Lately my system is mostly "smearing video" free! 

So my theory is that the problem lies with Arlo, their overloaded servers, because they sell more camera systems than their servers can handle!  

The latest "glitch" I have been experience is "black screen" video playback.  I can playback the same recording two or three times, then it plays "normal".  Why suddenly "black screen" playback of videos?  Everything in my system remains the same!  The problem has got to lie at Arlo's end (at least that's my sense).

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

sirsteve1968 wrote:

You say it is in your opinion, a streaming issue. Do you mean from the Arlo end?

Yes... somewhere in the straming chain from here to there and back again... as I said, My side is stable and also have a 20 mb down / 10mb up.

You mention updates. My versions show:

FW Version 1.7.5_6178 is the production sw for the base since about 6/15

Remeber that there are sw updates in the camera too and both can have an effect

Arlo cam is 1.2.4941 last I checked tho there is a beta version out there that is 1.2.5699 for selected users ( not released yet )

how do I "force" the update? 
You can't anymore... the best you can do if needed is to reset the cameras and the base ( reboot via power button ) and then if a sw verion is there it usu will update during the next night

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

KLG wrote:

The latest "glitch" I have been experience is "black screen" video playback.  I can playback the same recording two or three times, then it plays "normal".  Why suddenly "black screen" playback of videos?  Everything in my system remains the same!  The problem has got to lie at Arlo's end (at least that's my sense).

I have seen the black screen once or twice when viewing the SAME video...

It may be a flash problem OR something in the request to the far end gets glitched... don't know.

I do know that if I change browsers OR close the current one and restart the problem goes away.  Flash has been a now and thne headache at times since the start so I lean towards that's it's the problem

sirsteve1968
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you for this and everyone for your help so far. 

It sounds like it's mostly if not solely on Arlo's side and let's hope they get moving on an update or some firmware update soon! Will continue to monitor and provide updates. Please do the same. 

I've also seen the black screen too, but not as frequent.

bbaxter256
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi.  I'm seeing the same issue allot lately.  I have a feeling that OP is right regarding streaming to netgear.  There's allot that can go wrong AFTER the signal leaves the Arlo router.  I suspect individual ISP connections could be a major contributor.  It would be interesting to hear if people are simultaneously experiencing issues with their internet connections when the bluriness appears.  For myself, I couldnt say.  My connection isnt the greatest and does seem to ebb and flow in quality.  Does anyone know if there's a way we can view directly from the netgear router?  Sort of like a closed circuit view?  That would eliminate the  camera or camera link to the basestation as the culprit.  I'd really like to get some of the new cams with sound but I'm worried about paying for more cameras that are going to have the same problem.  I imagine allot of other people are feeling the same way.  I'd love to hear an updated response from Netgear on this issue.

Iunique
Aspirant
Aspirant
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

lunique,

This looks like it could be something on the face of the camera. Consider cleaning off the lens and see if you still have the same results.

JamesC