Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Smearing videos?

Discussion stats
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Anyone else notice an increase in the videos smearing at times?  Not browser ( as tested 2 ) and d/ls show the same.

My lag is still fairly short in the range of 1-2 seconds ( or about 3-4 ft ) but smearing has increased.

I don't really care about slight lag problem as an open floor plan allows multiple cams to trigger each other and second cams always get face shots but this smearing just ruins the video.

Data speeds 28Mbs+ down, 6Mbs up, with pings around 10-12ms

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

TomMac,

Thank you for that information. We are still looking at this issue and I will keep you posted on the results of our investigation.

I didn't intend for my intitial response to be a blanket solution, just something to keep in mind that may help others having similar issues.

Thanks again for the feedback!

JamesC

View solution in original post

134 REPLIES 134
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes, I am getting the same.  This needs to be looked at as it is becoming more and more frequent.

-Robert
Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes over the last couple of weeks it's getting worse and more often. 

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Same here.. been having it too quite often now than before.. 

Jordandawg05
Guide
Guide

Yes I got that tonight and was coming to post about it but found its others too ..why does this happen ?????

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The only thing I can think of ( educated guess ) is the compression and key frames, looks like the sw drops a key frame and the vid craps till the next one and then fixes itself. ( older versions of cam software had sort of a pulsing effect at key frames for the cycle ; it  would get slightly blurry and then sharpen up as it went on )

I myself would like lower compression but it runs into a bandwidth problem so, Its sort of a give-take.

Jordandawg05
Guide
Guide

Thanks for your educated guess !! i guess we need more people to 'voice' thier concern and i am sure there's more so netgear can 'hear' us ...i am trying to make this work for us and these things keep adding up to the list...i guess i had high expectation and excitment about the product but reading these posts makes me concerned for the future.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

I agree since most of our vids are set to "Best Quality".. But then again.. it wasn't like that frequent before.. I would suspect the Server again is having a hiccup.. They need to look at those factors and make some adjustments or anything for that matter and fix it Pls. Netgear.. 

Jordandawg05
Guide
Guide

had smeared video yesterday...this mornign i had a couple of videos wtih events and it was OK...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Would it be possible for any of you (or all) who have experienced this issue to post an example?  I am trying to replicate this myself and it would help me investigate this issue further if I could see exactly what each of you are seeing.  Thank you!

JamesC

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

And another one, all today!

I can include alot more  if you want.

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/48A66F8175AFBB75

-Robert
Geoff
Luminary
Luminary

Hi, I am getting this on one camera only out of four.

The camera has the lowest wifi signal (three bars).

Have tried different camera settings with no solution.

Will post a video when I have one.....just deleted library before reading this post.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Here's mine.. I got a lot of these and then some.. Green screen, Skipping image, you name it I got em'... Frustrating indeed..  

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/8F31E66BF6CC9A5E

Jordandawg05
Guide
Guide

JPC wrote:

Here's mine.. I got a lot of these and then some.. Green screen, Skipping image, you name it I got em'... Frustrating indeed..  

hey it seems your camera picked up the delivery guy pretty fast i think !! it didn't skip a few seconds? 

Jordandawg05
Guide
Guide
JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Jordandawg05 wrote:

JPC wrote:

hey it seems your camera picked up the delivery guy pretty fast i think !! it didn't skip a few seconds? 

Yeah.. this one is in a good angle and the settings are in 100% so no problem at all when it comes to lag.. The only problem am having with this particular cam is the smear, green screen, Skipping image.. The Big problem is in my Garage Driveway.. Lagging pretty bad with smear, green screen, skipping.. It used to be not so bad.. It crippled it when I got the new firmware update.. 

Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Anything new on the smudged video problem.  Between the lag time issues, problems viewing live feeds and the smudged video playback my system has been usless for weeks.  Whats up Netgear?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We have found some similar results to the examples posted when cameras have poor wifi signal due to interference.  With that in mind please make sure to limit the amount of other devices between the base station and affected cameras that could cause interference.  We are continuing to investigate this issue and if our results indicate a bug we will keep you posted on a fix.  Meanwhile, I encourage you to keep posting examples and providing the great feedback.  Thank you!

JamesC

Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
James as much as I appreciate the response I would suggest you keep looking. In my case the cameras in question have full wifi bars and are the closest to the base. Additionally I have had the system for 6 months without issue. Something else to keep in mind is you " SUDDENLY" are receiving this problem from several people. Kind of rules out your theory.
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sorry JamesC, but I doubt it's only the wifi signal that's causing the smearing.  So if you say 10 feet a way from the camera which mine are and always see full bars, with one wall, not metal, not cement, or titanium and a few sneaker boxes close to the base is causing the smearing. I think you guys are not even close to finding a solution.

Sorry again, but this is happening too often and I don't believe it's the wifi signal alone that is causing it and others who are having the same issues with their base even closer to their cameras, won't believe you as well.

-Robert
Geoff
Luminary
Luminary

As I have commented earlier, only one of my four cameras seems to be affected.

I have reduced the brightness on the camera and for the past two days the smearing has all but disappeared.

I am wondering if this might have a bearing on the problem?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Showguy wrote:
James as much as I appreciate the response I would suggest you keep looking. In my case the cameras in question have full wifi bars and are the closest to the base. Additionally I have had the system for 6 months without issue. Something else to keep in mind is you " SUDDENLY" are receiving this problem from several people. Kind of rules out your theory.

James... tks for the possible cause of the problem, but I'll have to agree with Showguy on this one.

I've had my system running for a while now and for me only recently the problem started....

What might be a clue tho is that I never really had the problem till I added the last two cameras ( of 6 total ). Before with 4 cameras I don't remember ever having the problem.  ( also not a bandwidth problem with 20M down and 10M up ) Maybe Base processing?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

TomMac,

Thank you for that information. We are still looking at this issue and I will keep you posted on the results of our investigation.

I didn't intend for my intitial response to be a blanket solution, just something to keep in mind that may help others having similar issues.

Thanks again for the feedback!

JamesC

Dukesable
Aspirant
Aspirant
Having same issue, not happy!