Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
pmoultrie
Follower
Follower

I have an Arlo battery-powered system that is over 10 years old, used externally, with a total of 5 cameras (four VMC3030 and one newer H14 camera).  The system is increasingly giving me trouble with battery depletion and connectivity.

I am considering replacing the system and am struggling with the many Arlo options now available. 

Questions:

1. What is a Smarthub verses a Base Station?
  2. When it says the Arlo Ultra 2 can 'connect directly to WI-FI', does that mean that no base station is needed (or Smarthub, whatever that is)?  If so, how does each camera connect to the Router?  Or does each camera have its own login info?
  3. I have one of the five areas that would be best with the wide angle offered by the Arlo Pro 4.  If I buy four Arlo Ultra 2 cameras and 1 Arlo Pro 4 camera, can they work together?  [Not sure about this base station/smarthub stuff]
  4. If I want to keep my newer H14 camera, will it work together with the Arlo Pro 4 and Arlo Ultra 2 cameras?
  5. I even thought about going with four Arlo Essential cameras and one Arlo Pro 4 cameras, but don't know if they can work together.

Any advice or assistance will be much appreciated.

pmoultrie

Best answers
  • StephenB
    Guru
    Guru

One thing you should keep in mind:  All the newer cameras (starting with the Ultra in 2018) require a paid subscription to get cloud storage.  That includes the Pro 4 and Essential models.  The cameras come with a free 3-month trial subscription, and you will lose cloud storage when that expires (unless you purchase it).

https://kb.arlo.com/000062312/What-options-will-I-have-when-the-Arlo-trial-ends

@pmoultrie wrote:

I have an Arlo battery-powered system that is over 10 years old

FWIW, the first Arlo system was launched in 2014, so no more than 7 years old.

A smarthub is just a higher-end base station.  They provide some features that the older base stations can't - in particular, direct access to local storage.

2. When it says the Arlo Ultra 2 can 'connect directly to WI-FI', does that mean that no base station is needed (or Smarthub, whatever that is)?  If so, how does each camera connect to the Router?  Or does each camera have its own login info?

Some newer cameras can connect directly to WiFi (and that does mean no base station is needed).  But the Ultra 2 isn't one of those cameras - it requires a base (preferably a smarthub).

If you are connecting the camera to the your wifi, then you will enter your network name/passphrase into the app (or my.arlo.com) during setup.  That will be turned into a QR code that you aim the camera at.  The camera will then join that network.  One difference is with the modes.  Modes normally are for a base (and control all cameras paired with the base).  If a camera is connected to home wifi, then it also has modes in the mode list - which only list that one camera.

All the cameras (and multiple bases if you have them) are normally in the same account.

3. I have one of the five areas that would be best with the wide angle offered by the Arlo Pro 4.  If I buy four Arlo Ultra 2 cameras and 1 Arlo Pro 4 camera, can they work together?  [Not sure about this base station/smarthub stuff]

Yes.

One clarification - the Ultra 2 has a wider field of view than the Pro 3/Pro 4.

4. If I want to keep my newer H14 camera, will it work together with the Arlo Pro 4 and Arlo Ultra 2 cameras?

Yes.  You can also keep your older cameras and base.

5. I even thought about going with four Arlo Essential cameras and one Arlo Pro 4 cameras, but don't know if they can work together.

They do work together.  

The Essential has similar features to the Pro 2, so if the Pro 2 is working, I'd stick with that.

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

One thing you should keep in mind:  All the newer cameras (starting with the Ultra in 2018) require a paid subscription to get cloud storage.  That includes the Pro 4 and Essential models.  The cameras come with a free 3-month trial subscription, and you will lose cloud storage when that expires (unless you purchase it).

https://kb.arlo.com/000062312/What-options-will-I-have-when-the-Arlo-trial-ends

@pmoultrie wrote:

I have an Arlo battery-powered system that is over 10 years old

FWIW, the first Arlo system was launched in 2014, so no more than 7 years old.

A smarthub is just a higher-end base station.  They provide some features that the older base stations can't - in particular, direct access to local storage.

Some newer cameras can connect directly to WiFi (and that does mean no base station is needed).  But the Ultra 2 isn't one of those cameras - it requires a base (preferably a smarthub).

If you are connecting the camera to the your wifi, then you will enter your network name/passphrase into the app (or my.arlo.com) during setup.  That will be turned into a QR code that you aim the camera at.  The camera will then join that network.  One difference is with the modes.  Modes normally are for a base (and control all cameras paired with the base).  If a camera is connected to home wifi, then it also has modes in the mode list - which only list that one camera.

All the cameras (and multiple bases if you have them) are normally in the same account.

Yes.

One clarification - the Ultra 2 has a wider field of view than the Pro 3/Pro 4.

Yes.  You can also keep your older cameras and base.

They do work together.  

The Essential has similar features to the Pro 2, so if the Pro 2 is working, I'd stick with that.