Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Replacement for these original Arlos VMS3230. Maybe go with Arlo Essential?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
BmMdlk
Tutor
Tutor

I've invested in 6 of these original Arlo cameras (VMS3230) and 2 base stations as well as 2 Arlo Q's. One of the cameras with light usage and no exposure to the elements has started to die. Another is starting to act hinky. I've ordered a refurbished replacement. It seems like the best replacement option long-term is going to be the Arlo Essential. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to continue with a camera system that is not looking too reliable at this point.

Thanks

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have cameras that have lasted for years. Electronics can fail at any point but it sucks to be the one who has problems, I agree. With the release of new cameras, the target has moved, hopefully with increased reliability overall. 

My biggest issue with the Essential cameras is the lack of ability to remove the battery. I personally like that feature, having extra batteries to be able to swap in so the cameras don't have to be removed or taken offline for charging. Given you current investment, I'd be more inclined to use a Pro or Pro 2 as a replacement unless features of a newer model are what you want. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have cameras that have lasted for years. Electronics can fail at any point but it sucks to be the one who has problems, I agree. With the release of new cameras, the target has moved, hopefully with increased reliability overall. 

My biggest issue with the Essential cameras is the lack of ability to remove the battery. I personally like that feature, having extra batteries to be able to swap in so the cameras don't have to be removed or taken offline for charging. Given you current investment, I'd be more inclined to use a Pro or Pro 2 as a replacement unless features of a newer model are what you want. 

BmMdlk
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks! That's exactly the sort of information I needed.

I appreciate the quick reply.