Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Coltsbro84
Star
Star

I am looking for the best rechargeable CR123 batteries that I can find, for use with my Netgear Arlo four cam system. I bought the green stripe Tenergy that claim to have 750mah power. Six batteries with a charger run about $25. I'm not happy with these batteries, because when fully charged (only takes about an hour to charge with a 500mah charger, from what I understand, it exerts as much energy as it stores, so I'm thinking that these batteries are more like 200mah) but back to the story, when fully charged, these batteries only show the camera as being half charged, with a day's use putting it into the low battery icon, and only lasting about a week.

I have since then ordered four Nitecore batteries, rated at 3.7 volts and 650mah. Now the volts are 0.5 higher than what's to be used with the camera, I'm hoping that this does not affect the camera. 650mah is probably true from the reviews and the steep price tag they are asking of around $10 per battery. I'm hoping that they are quality batteries and worth it, and I purchased a Nitecore charger to go with it. I'll be able to test them out here in a few days and get back with everyone on performance.

I just want to know, has anyone tried the rechargeable batteries that I have mentioned? Or do you have other suggestions?

Tenergy (link here: http://www.amazon.com/Kits-RCR123A-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001EYHO9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&a...

Nitecore (link here: : http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-RCR123A-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-Black/dp/B00D2OCQB2/ref=pd_sim...

Nitecore charger here http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-IntelliCharger-i4-Battery-Charger/dp/B005UAI372/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&am...

845 REPLIES 845
ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

I just ordered a set of Tangsfire 1000s (white) to test against the Ultrafire 1000s (blue).  I haven't tried any rechargeables yet since I am still on the original set that came with the 4 camera Kit.  My system is an indoor system to supplement my Swann system that is primarily for outdoors and is continuous.  I only turn on my Arlos when I am away from home.  I had my system on for 21 days and checked on the cameras regularly several times a day.  Now after two months the batteries (non-rechargeables) are showing 2 bars.  Battery life has not been an issue in my case.  Still, I want to move to rechargeables as soon as these "die".  Hoping get good use of the rechargeables.  Very interested to learn about the Nitcores since they are an expensive item.  Thanks for all the info, its been great and I have factored that in to my rechargeable purchase.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TheBubbleGuy wrote: snip

I looked again ... they say on them EAGTAC 3.7v 750mAh IC Protection ... was there something else that I was meant to look out for? There is a line above that says 14500 Li-ion rechargable battery ... all of this is written on a sticker on every battery. But they are the size of a normal AA battery.
snip

The batteries we have been using are in the CR123 format or also 16340 size as you found out.  While there are some variables in the size of the cells allowable in the manufactoring , most 16340 cells will fit and this has been mentioned before. ( not 14500 size  )

Sorry to hear of your problems... Amazon is usu pretty good on the returns.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Tats wrote:

I have a REALLY high use camera that records on average about 250 minutes a day.  I have one currently that is at half bars and has been running about 4 maybe 5 days.  I went back and counted the last 3 days and it recorded, 771 minutes.  This is more than the 2 "lighter" use cameras I wrote about.

I have Nitecores in this camera.  I previously had Ultrafires which I had to change out almost every other day. I can go about a week with the Nitecores.  I will do a full usage testing on it next time I switch out this camera batteries.

Agree 100%

it seems the rechargables do very well under a high drain use... Comparing Ultrafires to Nitecores I can seewhy the Nitecores lasted longer... the Ultrafires really come in some where at 500+ mahr capacity and the Nitecores are def higher ( tho I haven;t tested that brand )

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Tats wrote:
For what it is worth, I prefer the feel and performance of the Nitecore batteries which are more expensive and look it. They are protected as well.

mostly , you get what you pay for ... and this is a good example

EugeneK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello everybody! I want to say "thank you" for this thread. Couldn't find better infos about rechargeable batteries before i've found your community actually Robot Very Happy 
Can i ask you one more question about batteries? I've probably missed something but can't find an exact answer.
I need the best rechargeables for using in VMS3430 cameras. My choice wasn't easy so far, batteries are all the same for me. So, after reading a review the choice was made: Panasonic BK-4MCCA4BA eneloop seemed like good ones.

The question is: can i actually use them or this is wrong? 
Sorry if im duplicating discussions, newbs always do something wrong Smiley Sad 

ctrack
Luminary
Luminary
That link comes up as AAA rechargeables. You need 16340s or 123 equivalent. Did you post correct link to the battery you're interested in using?
ctrack
Luminary
Luminary
EugeneK. That link comes up as AAA rechargeables. You need 16340s or 123 equivalent. Did you post correct link to the battery you're interested in using?
EugeneK
Aspirant
Aspirant

So that's what i'm talking about. Even type of the batteries i've mentioned is wrong. So AAA's can't be connected? Robot Frustrated

ctrack
Luminary
Luminary
No. Look for 16340 rechargeables. Follow the links in the rechargeable discussions. You'll see what you need to order. I just ordered 8 Tangsfire 16340 batteries in the 1000 mAh (white version). Good luck.
EugeneK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for an explanation! Much appreciated. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

EugeneK wrote:

Thanks for an explanation! Much appreciated. 

As mentioned... 16340 are basicly the same size format of the OEM 123 cells.

So you need 16340/123 size cells, Li-ion in 3.7v ( the 3v version seem to have problems with compatibility )

Check out also if the PCB ( protection circuit ) is in the battery as some do cheaper ones don't.

One last note, if you don't stick with the ones tested on the board already, DON'T buy a whole bunch... there are enough allowable manufacturing variances that one type may fit but another may not ( usu due to length )

EugeneK
Aspirant
Aspirant

TomMac wrote:

One last note, if you don't stick with the ones tested on the board already, DON'T buy a whole bunch... there are enough allowable manufacturing variances that one type may fit but another may not ( usu due to length )

I guess it's not so critical because they are not so expensive. But it's still a good tip. Thanks for quick reply for all of you! 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

EugeneK wrote:

I guess it's not so critical because they are not so expensive. But it's still a good tip. Thanks for quick reply for all of you! 

True, not overly critical.... but since you need 4 and can run each from $2 ( china branding ) to $10 ( known branding ) it still is an outlay.

In the past a few have purchased a few sets to find they didn't work and/or fit .  That leads to a bunch of cash !

Tats
Apprentice
Apprentice

TomMac wrote:
"1)high usage seems to be better in the quality rechargeables like you tested even over OEM primaries. I've run both types of batteries and it was almost a push as to the winners in high usage, BUT the primaries cells are trash and the rechargeables good for 200-300 charge cycles."

I finished testing my Nitecores on my "high use," high quality setting camera.  Each video file was 40 seconds of recording. Here is the data I collected:

NiteCore- High Use.jpg

The camera recorded 15.5 hours of video in 4 days.  

For comparison, here is my summary for the the same brand batteries placed in a "lighter" use camera (at least for me):  I got the low battery (15%) warning on 10/7/2015 (testing started 9/11) after about 668 videos (30,060 seconds or 501 minutes).  On 10/8/2015, I got the notice to replace the Nitecores.  The total video count for the Nitecores from 9/11/2015 to 10/8/2015 was 713 videos (32,085 seconds or 534.75 minutes)

So TomMac, these NiteCores recorded 398 more minutes on the extremely high use camera, than on the camera that I had recording for almost a month.  I am going to test the EagleTacs next on this high use camera.

I will report this result on the battery use thread as well at https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Rechargable-battery-usage-vs-time-by-type-post-...

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

That's a good number of videos.... And as i mentioned the Arlo seems to do better with rechargeable batteries with high use like you obtained.

But for me, that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for the longest use rechargeable in the spec type use.

My cameras are mostly used as a back up for my main alarm system. They are all on for motion detect when out and the one outside ( had 2 ) is on during the night.  Actual viewing is a very low priority for me unless there's motion. Most my cameras get <4-5 mins per day and 2 get <2 min per week.

I want the longest life I can get to eliminate changing out cells vs cost.

On 2 very low use cams it doesn't pay to use rechargables as they last a max of 65 days while the OEM primary cells for both lasted 7 months.

On the others, the rechargeables run aprox 45 days for me while OEM make 3-4 months ( high quality video ) and here costs seems to win with rechargeables.

Tats
Apprentice
Apprentice

It never occured to me that there would be such a difference in battery life depending on usage.  Thank you inspiring me to actually test it.  Hopefully, it can help someone else who needs a high use camera and does not mind changing the batteries out every 4 to 5 days.  Which for me and the location and purpose that this camera serves works perfect for me.

MJDATL
Star
Star

Looks like I might be too late to purchase the EagleTac's...even their own website lists "SOLD OUT". I have sent an inquiry about supply but wondered where you have found reputable sellers. Ebay/Amazon are flooded with copies of various items and would prefer to purchase from a seller someone else has had luck with. Thank you for your time, and all of your research.

ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

As far as recommendations of where to buy Eagletacs Amazon is still probably the best bet, assuming you can find them.  Just as an FYI, I ordered a set of Tangsfire batteries from a site DX.Com.  Before I realized it it turn out to be somewhere in China....The batteries were shipped Oct 12, 2015 according to an email I received, but as of Oct 27 I still have not received my order.  So a word to the wise if you want something quick, this is not the place to order batteries....Of course they do say in their FAQ that 20-30 days can happen based on mail issues along the route.  Anyway, just wanted to alert you to the website in case you see a deal to good to pass up...Good luck in finding Eagletacs.

TheBubbleGuy
Initiate
Initiate

Hi,

I had ordered through Amazon and they connected it through Lumen Tactical. I had previously reported that I received the wrong sized batteries and was alarmed to find that the ones that I received had apparently misspelled the name of EagleTac as EagTac but after being reassured on this site I also connected with Lumen Tactical in Texas and they immediately replaced mine with the shorter ones that I should have ordered in the first place (make sure that is says 16340 on it). They were quick and just did a straight swap ... no problem. They also sent a note telling me that their product might be spelled either way so all of that was just me ordering the wrong number and then worrying too much.

Unfortunately, I had to leave on an extended trip before being able to put the correct batteries into the cameras so I have no report to make as to the corrected mistake.

But I do see that the same Amazon link it up and it says that they have them in stock ...

Try this:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YAVB7U2/ref=s9_hps_bw_g23_i2

Good luck

Bubble Guy

ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

Just an update.  Received the batteries I ordered from DX.com today.  18 days from date of shipment.  I need to charge them and see how they work in the Arlos and will report back as soon as I get a chance.  Tangs Fire 1000s.

silversaver
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Eagletac were pre-charged already really no need to charge them again. Mine came about 85% charged

ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

True, most (all) rechargeable batteries I've purchased come charged.  Most come with 75-80% charge.  However, I like to top them off before using to get a proper idea of use time.  I am learning that even though I purchased enough rechargeables for my four cameras, battery life has not been an issue.  I am still on the original Netgear provided batteries.  My use of the Arlos seems to be to check 3-4 times daily when traveling for extended periods.  Anyway, they standard batteries seem to be holding up after 3 months.  

Christiancav
Aspirant
Aspirant
I purchased the cameras for use in our retail outlet and the battery issue is a big one. It only lasted a few days so recharables are crucial
ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

I am assuming you set them up for continuous recording?  Mine (4 camera system) are only inside my home and set to motion detection when I'm not home.  I do check them regularly but probably not enough to use the batteries much. 

Even though I'm set to replace the originals with rechargeables I may not be the best subject for a valid test of batteries.  Fortunately other users have posted some very good reviews of rechargeable battery life.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

ctrack wrote:

I am assuming you set them up for continuous recording?  Mine (4 camera system) are only inside my home and set to motion detection when I'm not home.  I do check them regularly but probably not enough to use the batteries much. 

Yes, heavy use will kile the OEM batteries in a short amount of time... if this is his case (high usage) then rechargeables may be better for him.

On the other hand, low usage with OEM , will lead to a long battery life.  Most my camera get 4 months normal use and I had two low use cams ( set for motion when not home, inside ) that went 7 months.

What works best depends on the level of viewing /recordings.