Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Rechargeable batteries for use with Arlo cameras

Coltsbro84
Star
Star

I am looking for the best rechargeable CR123 batteries that I can find, for use with my Netgear Arlo four cam system. I bought the green stripe Tenergy that claim to have 750mah power. Six batteries with a charger run about $25. I'm not happy with these batteries, because when fully charged (only takes about an hour to charge with a 500mah charger, from what I understand, it exerts as much energy as it stores, so I'm thinking that these batteries are more like 200mah) but back to the story, when fully charged, these batteries only show the camera as being half charged, with a day's use putting it into the low battery icon, and only lasting about a week.

I have since then ordered four Nitecore batteries, rated at 3.7 volts and 650mah. Now the volts are 0.5 higher than what's to be used with the camera, I'm hoping that this does not affect the camera. 650mah is probably true from the reviews and the steep price tag they are asking of around $10 per battery. I'm hoping that they are quality batteries and worth it, and I purchased a Nitecore charger to go with it. I'll be able to test them out here in a few days and get back with everyone on performance.

I just want to know, has anyone tried the rechargeable batteries that I have mentioned? Or do you have other suggestions?

Tenergy (link here: http://www.amazon.com/Kits-RCR123A-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001EYHO9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&a...

Nitecore (link here: : http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-RCR123A-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-Black/dp/B00D2OCQB2/ref=pd_sim...

Nitecore charger here http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-IntelliCharger-i4-Battery-Charger/dp/B005UAI372/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&am...

845 REPLIES 845
MJDATL
Star
Star
Thanks for the posts.

I do set them up for continuous recording. Just started using the scheduling feature, but wish it was easier to bypass temporarily without having to reset I.e. let the dogs out back without it setting off the back deck Arlo camera and lower level Arlo camera. Bet it will do a better job remembering as I replace batteries.

Just have been reluctant to pull the trigger on batteries for fear of them ruining the camera(from leaking) or crapping out after a couple charges...I have 5 cameras, so it will be an expensive purchase. Still looking for a trusted seller that responds to email or stands by their batteries.

Any thoughts on the Blink system? Guess I could always sell the Arlo if the batteries become an issue.
ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

I haven't played with the settings.  That's my next project.  Trying to understand how that works.  I am not familiar with the Blink system. So can't comment on that camera.  

I understand your concerns about the batteries, I would definitely stick batteries that are protected against overcharging/discharging to help allay your concerns.  Maybe someone else knows if any of the batteries tested/recommended by other users are made anywhere other than China.

Terranops
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello

Has anyone tested the Olight battery? There was a post in March about them but no follow up that I could find.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-16340-650mah.html

If not I just purchased them and will post my results.
For 3.95 a piece and made by a reputable flashlight manufacturer gives me confidence along with the excellent reviews.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Terranops wrote:snipped;
Has anyone tested the Olight battery?
For 3.95 a piece and made by a reputable flashlight manufacturer gives me confidence along with the excellent reviews.

At least they are properly rated and its a pretty good name... the only factor I would have checked is the lenght... A couple ( not this one ) have been a hair to long and were a tight fit.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Terranops
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hoping these turn out great. They would be a great alternative to the Nitecore batteries if they are. I'm not one to purchase off-brand/not well known batteries as some have a large amount of imitations in circulation.
hauchinango
Star
Star

This thread is a bit congested.  It would be nice to get a few links to purchase some of the batteries that are known to fit and have sufficient battery life.

Maybe a sticky or an edit on the original post?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

hauchinango wrote:

Maybe a sticky or an edit on the original post?

I nominate you !  🙂

Your right, but it's really worth reading if your going to take the plunge

tshrimp
Star
Star

I am currently testing these batteries (Olight) . I can say they are not too long. If anything they are the same or slightly shorter than the batteries that came with it. Basically I am not sure, but seem almost the same dementions.

Here is where I am at so far with these:

Currently showing 2 bars (out of the three) on the battery. Most recordings have been done inside with some night vision, but mostly with the lights on. Temps are about 73F. I am set as the highest quality.

405 minutes have currently recoreded. I will keep all posted on these batteries.

Terranops
Aspirant
Aspirant
Sounds like they are doing well so far. Thanks for posting and look forward to your updates. Hopefully I'll have a positive experience with them like you are experiencing. All four of my cameras are placed outside and we're about to experience winter.
tshrimp
Star
Star

Here is my final statistics for the Olight protected rechargeable.

3.7v 650mah

Cameras placed inside. 

Temp Inside - 64-73F

Days testing - 4 

settings - 120 sec / video

quality - highest quality

Videos recorded - 370

minutes recorded - 740

Days if using 4 min/day average - 185 days

Months (@30 days) - 6.17

I am guessing about 15% were with night vision. The thing I like about these batteries is the size looks to be very close to the standard non rechargeable, so don't have to worry about pressure on the battery compartment lid.

I know that this is not scientific, and if I made any mistakes please point them out, and I will change my post. I am thinking Netgear said they average battery life at 4 hours/day. If that is not the case let me know, and can change.

Also want to add that I ran this over a 4 day period in a very high traffic area (placed strictly for quick testing reasons)so did not experience the loss a rechargeable can have by just sitting unused.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru
There is a problem with above info....
Tho the amount of mins of recording is a good test of the battery, the heavy usage of a set of cells does not apply the same way to spec use in days.
You estimate a 6+ months usage in spec, but it doesn't really work out the same.  I would guess from past tests we've run you would still see about 3+ months max time on the same cells at 4 mins per day.time. The cells in my experience actually do a bit better in heavy use while the OEMs do better in less than spec use. ( some of the other cells tested got high mins of record similar but only made 60 days in normal use (IIRR))
tshrimp
Star
Star

TomMac wrote:
There is a problem with above info....
Tho the amount of mins of recording is a good test of the battery, the heavy usage of a set of cells does not apply the same way to spec use in days.
You estimate a 6+ months usage in spec, but it doesn't really work out the same.  I would guess from past tests we've run you would still see about 3+ months max time on the same cells at 4 mins per day.time. The cells in my experience actually do a bit better in heavy use while the OEMs do better in less than spec use. ( some of the other cells tested got high mins of record similar but only made 60 days in normal use (IIRR))

Thanks TomMac. I figured that had to be the case as I could not imagine getting that much time out of 650mah 16340 (RCR123a) battery. There were several posts asking about these, so thought I would at least try and get some info down on a quick test. Not sure if I will be doing a long term test other than just putting them in and letting them run. I am happy enough that I went ahead and bought more for the rest of my cameras. I figured that they lasted well enough, and the size was great. I was worried about pressure on the camera battery door as I have been reading about many of these RCR123a batteries being a little too long.

Per Fasttech.com

Depth - 16.8mm

Height - 33.7mm

Width - 16.8mm

Weight 17g

I also found this info on the mAh rating on the Olight.

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/37496

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

tshrimp wrote:

Thanks TomMac. I figured that had to be the case as I could not imagine getting that much time out of 650mah 16340 (RCR123a) battery. There were several posts asking about these, so thought I would at least try and get some info down on a quick test. Not sure if I will be doing a long term test other than just putting them in and letting them run. snip

The problem arrises as to how to get quick data for a purchase and not wait 3 months or so ... so there's really nothing wrong with a high usage test.

The link for the batteriues shows a .5a discharge rate and it just doesn't match up to the power drain in sleep mode,detect mode,etc.  I think if you tested the cam you may see a max draw of  .150- .250 a ( haven't done it )

The way you tested was how myself and others did most of the tests, and it gives god results, but if you read thru the theads you'll see a couple of long term usage times where the better batteries exceded 40+ days and the best made 55-60 days.

Still, the Olight, is a proper rated, good named brand along with the couple others... with any of these 600-750mahr batteries you'll get the max short and long term use.

As a side note, they run a fair amount of time on 2 bars, but if you get the low battery notice, one bar, you have prob a day+ to change it as the drop out happens quickly.

heres a screen clip of one test;

Capturetangtest.JPG

Samson30
Initiate
Initiate
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00W0YDTTS?vs=1
I'm going to try these as they have pretty good reviews. I'll let you guys know.
These batteries I've had fire over a month on a single charge but every 4 batteries comes with a charger.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00IOVPLEW/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Samson30 wrote:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00W0YDTTS?vs=1
I'm going to try these as they have pretty good reviews. I'll let you guys know.
These batteries I've had fire over a month on a single charge but every 4 batteries comes with a charger.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00IOVPLEW/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Two things... ( not to pop yr bubble, but... )

1) the first set of batteries are the typical china cells, mis-labled to the point of full scall BS.  They are marked as rated 2200mahr which in truth is fake.

Also I didn't see a marking on wrapper if it had a PCB ( protective curcuit) which is very important. They prob will come in at 500-600mahr if similar to the other cells we've tested

Again, no 123/16340 cell can have more than about 750 mahr capacity as the chemistry just doesn't fit in that size package

2) The second set of rechargeables look like 3v li-ion cells from the ad.... In the past, 3v li-ion cells seem not to work as well as the 3.7v as there have been a few complaints from other users. ( esp problem with the 3v lifepo4 type cells but also 3v li-ions were running shorter time for what appeared to be device cutoff as the v of cells drops )

Also, The battery meter was optimized for the 3.7 v cells a while back

Terranops
Aspirant
Aspirant
I wouldn't bother purchasing those. They're falsely represented mah, unbranded Chinese batteries. You'll just be disappointed.
ep1971
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello.  How do the batteries seem to be working so far?

ep1971
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello.  I have just got my system up and running today before going to work tonight.  So far I have been impressed compared to the wired swann system i have.  Like a previous stated, it would be nice to have the option of a wired adater for cameras I have inside.  From reading the post it appears to me that the Nitecore D4 charger with the Eagletec batteries has proven to be the best choice for rechargables so far.  Thanks for any imput related to this or any other tips you would like to share. Thanks!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

ep1971 wrote:

it would be nice to have the option of a wired adater for cameras I have inside. 

Well the Q cam is coming out soon, AC powered with audio and 1080p

ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

I have a set of Tangsfire 1000s (white) going in an indoor camera since Nov 27.  Still show full charge (3 bars).  Of course they get limited use since they are indoor cameras and I only turn the system on when I'm away.  I also have set of Ultrafire 1000s (blue) that I installed Dec 15.  This is my first use of rechargeables so I can't tell you how long they'll last at this point.  I have noticed that with non-rechargeables it'll show full charge and suddenly drop to 1 bar which initiates a messages that I need to replace the batts.  More later....

ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

I also have a Swann system for outdoors and use my Arlos for indoors.  I like the Swann since I set it to record when motion is detected.  Plus the Swanns are always on as opposed to the Arlos which are best designed to record motion and to be checked occasionally.  With batteries having Arlos on constantly is not IMHO practical.  The new camera with voice may be a solution but I don't know that yet.  I may put it on my list for next year.

I also use the NiteCore i4 charger for my Arlo rechargeables. It also works great for my AA and AAA batts.  

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

ctrack wrote:

I have a set of Tangsfire 1000s (white) going in an indoor camera since Nov 27.  Still show full charge (3 bars). 

You still have about 30 days left from avg usage on past trials.... most of them run about 40-50 days and the top ones close to 60.

ep1971
Aspirant
Aspirant

What kind of rechargables do you use?

I switched internet proivders to dishnetwork and there is no way to use the app for remote viewing of the swann cameras.  Also the quality is not that great.  May try to upgrade the cameras sometime if I can just switch them out with some hd and not have to rewire.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I have 5 sets of crap china batteries ( they make 30-40 days )...and a set of tangfires ( 40+ days ) keep them for testing only now ( and a flashlight )

but it appears the Nitecore batteries were one of the top 2

ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

EP 1971:  I have two sets of Tangsfire 1000s and a set of Ultrafire 1000s going.  The Tangsfires are on day 23 of use still showing 3 bars.  The Ultrafires are only on day 5.  However, I use my system indoors and only when I'm away.  Non rechargeables have lasted about 5 months as I use them.  

Regarding SWANN.  I have a friend who has a SWANN system using 960H cameras.  His internet provider is satellite based so it restricts his ability to view his cameras remotely via the SWANN APP.  He does receive alerts but no live video.   My SWANN 720P system has no problems since my internet provider is not via satellite. My Arlos work fine but, again, they are not on all the time.  Will see how the new camera from ARLO works out before I add it to my system.