Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Coltsbro84
Star
Star

I am looking for the best rechargeable CR123 batteries that I can find, for use with my Netgear Arlo four cam system. I bought the green stripe Tenergy that claim to have 750mah power. Six batteries with a charger run about $25. I'm not happy with these batteries, because when fully charged (only takes about an hour to charge with a 500mah charger, from what I understand, it exerts as much energy as it stores, so I'm thinking that these batteries are more like 200mah) but back to the story, when fully charged, these batteries only show the camera as being half charged, with a day's use putting it into the low battery icon, and only lasting about a week.

I have since then ordered four Nitecore batteries, rated at 3.7 volts and 650mah. Now the volts are 0.5 higher than what's to be used with the camera, I'm hoping that this does not affect the camera. 650mah is probably true from the reviews and the steep price tag they are asking of around $10 per battery. I'm hoping that they are quality batteries and worth it, and I purchased a Nitecore charger to go with it. I'll be able to test them out here in a few days and get back with everyone on performance.

I just want to know, has anyone tried the rechargeable batteries that I have mentioned? Or do you have other suggestions?

Tenergy (link here: http://www.amazon.com/Kits-RCR123A-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001EYHO9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&a...

Nitecore (link here: : http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-RCR123A-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-Black/dp/B00D2OCQB2/ref=pd_sim...

Nitecore charger here http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-IntelliCharger-i4-Battery-Charger/dp/B005UAI372/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&am...

845 REPLIES 845
ep1971
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same problem with satellite Internet not being able to view my cameras when away with a Swann system.  Do you know if any of the other systems by different manufacturers work well with satellite Internet? So far this system does not seem to be to reliable.  Might return if I continue to have problems.

Thanks!

BlueArlo
Guide
Guide

I paid a total of $68 for my 24 rechargeable batteries plus 4 chargers that each hold two batteries. Purchased at Walmart.com: Insten CR123A Lithium batteries with wall charger. Go to www.walmart.com/ip/46516122. Be sure to give me a thumb's up on my Walmart.com review. I talk about using them in my Arlo. Thanks!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

They come in at   3.2V/ 400mAh. and I don't see a PCB to prevent over/under charge... be careful

I hope they work well... you should really be looking for the 3.7v cells in the 600-750mahr range ( like the better ones we spec'ed out )

But the better ones do come in at a much higher price.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
BlueArlo
Guide
Guide

Thank you, TomMac.  Yep, these have been working great so far (until that horrible Update).  Now that the Update has been Updated, these batteries ar working great in my Arlo again.  I only use them in one camera as, I am still testing it out, that way I don't break all three in the event there is a mis-hap with these rechargeables.  None the less, so far so good and it has been well over a month.

c0mm0
Guide
Guide

Can someone who has been active in this thread summarize it? 23 pages is a lot to catch up on...

maybe a table of work/don't work

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

WHile others have used various brands, which may still be in testing, the general answer has been EagleTac 750mAH and Tansgsfire 1000mAH. The general recommendation has been to use something with the PCB protection built-in so the EagleTacs win.  The Tangsfire are a bit overstated for capacity but work about the same so are a reasonable choice.  Just be careful about overcharging or running them flat since they don't have the PCB to protect them.  At least one person has reported a camera fire/meltdown due to the use of a battery failure.

You may also want to consider a charger such as this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L10CO7U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

ctrack
Luminary
Luminary
You might consider these.....(Nitecore RCR123A 3.7V 650mA 2.4Wh 650mAh Protected Li-ion Rechargeable Battery-Black+Yellow(NL166)...they are pricey but get good reviews and are PCB.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Personally...spend the extra money and opt for safety. ( Yes, I do have and use the cheaper non-pcb cells for testing and yes, there was one reported melted Arlo with a non-pcb cell )

Go with the better cells the group tested and came out on top along with a good charger system for same

Nitecore @ 650 mahr and EagleTac @ 750mahr both at 3.7v, were IMO among the best.

c0mm0
Guide
Guide

thanks for the replies and links, I do have a few nitecore flashlights (4000 lumen beast..) so I have their chargers and way too many batteries for any one person..

A little off topic but when Lipos first came out I caught my living room coffee table on fire and carpet while charging a lipo that exploded. I even had a real life CPSC office come out to the house, take a report, pictures and scooped up all the items as part of a study on Lipos. She had a badge and everything... so I do understand battery safety.

Again thanks for the links and info

Theponce1
Aspirant
Aspirant
I bought 20 rechargeable batteries on Ebay for 30 dlls
A 2 battery charger for 10. I get one week of service on one charge, with 30 seconds, we had to lower the range because you record all passing vehicles. I think that a infrared camera heat sensing unit would be better then motion
MESMERIZE
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you everyone I have been following this thread for 5 months now and I have purchased GTL (purple) and EagleTacs. Also, I have nightcore i4 charger. Since I bought my system and batteries the Eagletacs last a lot longer than GTL's. I live in the city so I have my cameras outside in high traffic areas, and I get 3 weeks with the Eagletacs and 1 week with GTL's. The EagleTac's are by far the better batteries and they are more expensive but worth it in long run. And I don't have to get the ladder out as much to change batteries. Also I purchased these mounts on Amazon so that the cameras can not be stolen as easily and I have them up high.

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Ceiling-Bracket-Camera-Adjustable/dp/B000X23I22/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&q...

Thank you to everyone contributed to this thread really helped me out.

Ippikiokami
Aspirant
Aspirant

Now we all have a large collection of batteries... What kind of cases do you all use to keep them in order

ctrack
Luminary
Luminary
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Interesting.  I just used a plastic food take-out tray and made up cardboard dividers.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Ippikiokami wrote:

Now we all have a large collection of batteries... What kind of cases do you all use to keep them in order

I use an old tupperware sandwich container... and like above, I use cardboard insulation between rows just in case.

As to mixing them up. Don't really care as mine are all numbered in sets.  The best use of cells are from closely matched sets..simple method is after a few charge cycles, just arrange them in sets of the closest voltages ( after off charge for about 4 hours ).

tshrimp
Star
Star

Thanks ctrack, I am going to order some of those cases.

FYI..I have been using the Olight batteries, and so far so good. One of the least expensive name brand with protection. I have not been doing any extensive tests, but I am not recharging them that often, even in high traffic areas, so I am happy enough...except the removal of the low battery indicator in the last update. I had one camera down for almost a week, and never knew it.

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

tshrimp wrote:

Thanks ctrack, I am going to order some of those cases.

FYI..I have been using the Olight batteries, and so far so good. One of the least expensive name brand with protection. I have not been doing any extensive tests, but I am not recharging them that often, even in high traffic areas, so I am happy enough...except the removal of the low battery indicator in the last update. I had one camera down for almost a week, and never knew it.

So far I have to agree on the Olight's, this is a first for me on using them and so far so good!

-Robert
Ippikiokami
Aspirant
Aspirant

TomMac wrote:

As to mixing them up. Don't really care as mine are all numbered in sets.  The best use of cells are from closely matched sets..simple method is after a few charge cycles, just arrange them in sets of the closest voltages ( after off charge for about 4 hours ).

How do you find the closest voltages.

And to the other poster where did you get the olights?

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Ippikiokami wrote:

TomMac wrote:

How do you find the closest voltages.

And to the other poster where did you get the olights?

Using an Ohm Meter will do that for you.  

You can get the Olight's here. http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-16340-650mah.html

-Robert
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Well, more specifically, a voltmeter which is found with an ohmmeter on virtually all multimeters. Picky, picky..

Blue225tt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Drc225811
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ebay has the Eagletac 16340 RCR123A Li-ion 3.7V Protected Rechargeable Battery CR123A . Is this the same as the Eagletac 750ah 3.7 pcb protection battery that you were dissusing earlier? Thank you for your help.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Many on eBay,it would help if u gave link

Drc225811
Aspirant
Aspirant

Drc225811
Aspirant