Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
APGR
Tutor
Tutor

I have something really weird happening when I leave my camera on in my lounge at night. The room is totally dark and once set up I go to another room to take a look at the view I get. This obviously triggers the infrared. A number of times I have observed random white lights of different sizes moving around the room often in an erratic manner. It is really odd. Nothing in the community appears to have any topics in this so I'm puzzled. When I've tested the camera I have then recorded 20-30 sec clips and these lights are as clear as anything. Spooky! Someone please tell me these have a scientific reason and aren't something else. When I've showed the clips to friends they also think they're weird and can't think of anything that would cause they random lights whizzing around my room in total darkness which can't be seen with the naked eye. 

84 REPLIES 84
Stargazer55
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same exact floating objects. I cleaned shelves, furniture, floors really good in the one room and tested it at night. Big improvement! Theyre definitely microscopic dust particles, we all have them because homes are not air tight, unless you live in a glass bubble.
Jumpbilly
Initiate
Initiate

We have indoor and outdoor orbs they have rectangle shapes and go around the house and into th house  and your out there telling us they are dust 

Jumpbilly
Initiate
Initiate

The fact that objects with rectangular shapes passing thru walls ,doesn't  necessarily mean ghosts but maybe energy of what once were living life forms . But don't say dust , we have observed these shapes for months the exact same shapes hanging out

sybersnot
Apprentice
Apprentice
sybersnot
Apprentice
Apprentice
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Somebody's playing with a flashlight  or pointer... 🙂

pam1105
Initiate
Initiate

Hello 

I recently installed security cameras at my main entrance and deck. The main entrance camera caught light objects as described in previous posts yesterday. This was similar to the light objects that were captured three weeks back in my backyard. They look like spider string. But I had a spider caught on camera too and I was able to see it as a spider. But these light objects caught were round hazy and moving randomly.  It was as though someone was trying to play with flashlights but the camera did not capture any human in the vicinity.  Some of my friends say its dust, some of them say its insects. It remains a mystery.  It seems as though these cameras are capable of catching some particles that cannot be seen with the naked eye ... That's all I can deduce...But I must say its strange...

DAWNI
Initiate
Initiate
You are completely right these are NOT dust particles. I have them too and I have never seen anything like them. Please contact me at dawnbacon98@gmail.com.
sybersnot
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think it was tiny bird down from a nest that was near a window close to the camera. What I was seeing did sail through the air like a feather of sorts caught in a current that knew where it was going because currents usually follow their own path. It is gone now.

Gmoney57
Aspirant
Aspirant
I don't have a Netgear camera or anything, but this has been happening to me too. I set the camera up on the second floor of my house and had nothing ever happen. When I put the camera downstairs in my basement, I keep catching these odd balls of light. I'm not sure what they are, since I haven't seen them on my second floor. I don't have any fans or anything running, and all the doors are sealed tight. Our heating doesn't use fans, and there is no air conditioning in my basement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4tI6iRSPWM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez2iJ7bYXVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf67yve-e0Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTif2ImmlUg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrvoZUjMGYM
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Dust. There's always air circulation even without fans.

Gmoney57
Aspirant
Aspirant
But what I found odd though was that I couldn't see any on the second floor.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Agree. That's dust

Phook
Aspirant
Aspirant

I too have very bizzare behaving "dust particles" captured on my footage. I had hoped to see the video you uploaded but it must have been removed. 😞

Phook
Aspirant
Aspirant

The best way to resolve this is to keep the lights off, then slap or beat your sofa in a fit of rage. Watch the entire community of angry orbs come out to voice their opionion 🙂

Gmoney57
Aspirant
Aspirant
The videos should still be there, but I will look into it.
Kyiah
Initiate
Initiate
I have no doubt that the white orbs are past loved ones watching over my mom. They mostly happen in one room. They are big. Not even close to dust particles! Shaking my head at that answer! Yep, some come from outside right through the wall.
TTCCSS
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have my status LED lights turned "off" in the App.  I have night vision "off".  At night one of the cameras looking outside through the glass turns on not the blue LED, but a white light turns on and reflects off the glass triggering false motion events.  Any suggestions?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Its not actually white but appears so with night vision, which is in black and white. Even though you've turned off night vision, try toggling it again. If there's a Save opportunity, do so at each step. If that doesn't help, try opening and closing the battery door and power cycle the base. If it still doesn't help, remove the camera from Setting, My Devices and resync.

TTCCSS
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good thoughts.  Will try unplugging the camera as it is a wired Arlo Q.  Thanks!

Pinky72
Initiate
Initiate
I see them the white random lights also, still searching the internet to get other posting about it...and your right...it is spooky
gpineau
Initiate
Initiate

I am seeing these on the second floor and  they are bigger than those seen here. 

https://youtu.be/Q_Di5EDi6sc

Yi home camera with night vision. 

I have searched online and found some others that have seen similar but they are not this big. Comparing them to other objects in the room they are about the size of a tennis ball or maybe a bit larger. it sometimes comes from a different direction. It appears out of nowhere. This one seems to be comming out of the wall.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

They appear large because they're close to the camera. A small object that's further away would be difficult to see due to the limited IR reflection as well as size.

KonstantinZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just confirmed the phenomena scientifically with a "shaking pillow" experiment: this is dust!

sybersnot
Apprentice
Apprentice

There was a birdnest outside the window and some down got through a crack somehow and that is what it was. Yeah dust is what it is.