Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Picture Break up

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
gilbo2
Luminary
Luminary

I installed my wire-free Arlo about a week ago and am pleased with it so far.

My only niggle is very occasionally the video breaks up as below. I have reset the camera / base station, changed my main routers Wi-Fi channel, moved camera to a different position, but this still happens at times even with 3-4 bars Wi-Fi strength. Any other suggestions please? (My internet is quite good at 14mbps up and 60 mbps down and even if I download the video file it is the same.)

Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gilbo2
Luminary
Luminary

It turns out that the power management setting was irrelevant. I patiently went through all the wi-fi channels to find the one that caused the best performance with my cameras in terms of little or no picture break up.

Also, a slight reposition of my router helped.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think we've all seen this at some point. It's not totally obvious where the problem is but may be related to any delay with the server connection. It could also be some 2.4GHz interference caused by a nearby device.

gilbo2
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for the reply.

As an experiment today I tried setting my cameras back to "Optimized" power management (was on Best Battery life). This seems to have bought about an improvement but will give it a few more days and then try going back again to see if I'm on to something.

gilbo2
Luminary
Luminary

It turns out that the power management setting was irrelevant. I patiently went through all the wi-fi channels to find the one that caused the best performance with my cameras in terms of little or no picture break up.

Also, a slight reposition of my router helped.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Still think it's far end (server and or compression) related.... the "ghosting" happens reguardless of distance to the arlo base.

It's happened on a camera at times that is located no more than 5 ft from the base and ones 40 ft away.... kind of hard to cause external interference within a 5 ft range.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
gilbo2
Luminary
Luminary

I'm sure the link to the server will also cause this at times. In my case changing channels has resolved the problem. Thanks for the support.