On / Off features

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
keaki13
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello - Am new to these wireless cameras. Have the wireless camera with the base.

Question:  can the camera be turned off?  It is running through batteries at an amazing rate

because it is on 24/7.  I have this in my office and would only like it on during work hours.

Thanks!!!!!

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The camera will go into a sleep mode when not recording where the batteries will last for many months.  It's not possible to actually turn them off except by removing batteries.

The issue of battery life is based on the amount of recording and live viewing.  The standard put forth by Netgear is 4-6 months life when recording/live viewing a maximum of 4 minutes a day (average). It sounds like you're recording or viewing as if this were a 24/7 camera which, because of the battery-operated nature, isn't truly possible.  It should only be recording when motion is activated - if your office has a lot of traffic and picks up motion every couple of minutes, all bets are off.  You'd be better off with the Arlo Q which is a wall-powered unit.

That said, it's also possible that the camera is having trouble communicating with the base due to interference of some sort (other wireless devices such as other WiFi, cordless phones, etc.).  That could cause the camera to have to keep trying to connect, wearing down the batteries.

What's your setup, including any modes and schedule you're using?

keaki13
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the information~ 

The mode is typically in "disarmed" and I am not recording at all.

It is by a wireless printer and wifi for our laptops - perhaps I can rearrange a little.

I really just want it to see when a client enters the waiting room since I cannot

see that from my office space.  I'll play with it a little more.

Thanks again!