Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Offline camera or some kind of status report

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
donkeyhotay
Guide
Guide

I would like to get the Arlo Ultra, but I don't want to purchase one if you haven't done something about a serious oversight in the operation of your systems -- the lack of reporting.  It seems like it would be the most basic thing in the world for the base unit to report when a camera has been offline for a specific length of time.  If nothing else, there should be a option to email a daily status report where the base unit notes the battery status and connection status of each device so that the user can do something about it.  Don't tell me it can't be done -- I've been coding for 30 years, there should be nothing to it.  Hell, give me $50 and a meatball sub and I might consider doing it for you.  Or give me some sort of REST service I can access so I can write my own.  

4 REPLIES 4
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@donkeyhotay wrote:

If nothing else, there should be a option to email a daily status report where the base unit notes the battery status and connection status of each device so that the user can do something about it. 

You can get battery alerts already.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
BestBuyGuy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not having a status report (which would be nice) is the least of the Ultra's problems right now. Bar far.

donkeyhotay
Guide
Guide

I appreciate the response, but I'm not talking about battery alerts, which I do receive... sometimes.  My cameras frequently go offline even when the battery is charged.  I want to know when the camera is offline.  The base unit should do a fault test on the cameras every hour or so, and if it notices that a camera has not responded in so many hours (preferably an adjustable parameter) then it should send a notification that the camera has been offline for n number of hours.  That way you would know if the camera has failed, or been stolen or whatever.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@donkeyhotay wrote:

I want to know when the camera is offline.  The base unit should do a fault test on the cameras every hour or so, and if it notices that a camera has not responded in so many hours (preferably an adjustable parameter) then it should send a notification that the camera has been offline for n number of hours. 

Why every hour? These are connected to the cloud. You should get live alerts.

If the cameras can use the cloud server to send notifications when it sees movement, why not when it sees a dead hub?

As far as I can see, there isn't even any "status" indicator in the Android app.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime