Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Lmwillis412
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a camera on my front door and it always records the people walking away from my porch. Tonight someone was on my porch and when my sensor light turned on, they walked away and I the camera did not record until the person was almost out of view! Does anyone know how I can get the camera to record the person walking up to the porch? I’ve had deliveries and same thing in daylight, I see them walking away! Here is an example of the person walking away this evening... the first second of the video is all I see of him!
10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nothing was attached. Post a link to the video or save a screenshot and use the Choose File button here to attach it.

Missed recordings are usually a function of camera positioning and sensitivity. Motion should be across the FOV and not at the camera. Increasing the sensitivity in your modes and rules may also be needed.

Malk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

Increase the sensitivty of your camera and the position, then test this yourself on the live app.

Also you may want to consider using IFTTT application, I use this so that if one camera goes off the others will start to record in sequence - from this you wont miss a single thing!  Download it from the APP store, its the best SMART HOME App developed and can do just about anything with any smart device.

Thanks

Lmwillis412
Aspirant
Aspirant
Screen shot. This is the first moment of the video.... of him walking away
Lmwillis412
Aspirant
Aspirant

Lmwillis412
Aspirant
Aspirant
Right now I only have this one camera up as I cannot mount anything to my condo so I am trying to find ways to mount to the outside of the buildings without damaging anything... everything I have tried they fall off.
The sensitivity is at 100% and I have moved it around and it still has this issue...
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I would gues sthat the person's approach is from the sidewalk wich is fairly close to being at the camera. Note that there's a 2-3 second lag between detection and recording as the camera has to set up communications with the server before actually recording (such is the nature of cloud recording). In this case, mounting over the door or even to the right of the door as seen from your image would likely be preferable.

You are changing the motion sensitivity in you rmodes and rules, right?

Lmwillis412
Aspirant
Aspirant
Correct, I have all the sensitivities up. The camera is actually positioned above the door and to the left in the corner , near the wall you can see on the left. Based on the foot prints in the snow, he came down the sidewalk, up to my stoop then I think my motion light turned on and he turned to the left and walked into my yard.. Do you think moving it closer to try the front of the porch would make a difference?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's worth a try. You want to get as much motion across the FOV as possible.

Lmwillis412
Aspirant
Aspirant
So I moved the camera closer to the front of the porch and still not better. I casually walked from the walkway and walked up to the porch, turned around and walked back and it didn’t pick me up until I was already turned around and walking away. Here is where it picked me up.... photo attached.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The likely problem is that the walkway is basically pointed AT the camera. You need to position the camera so that it's more or less ACROSS the FOV. From the sidewalk, your camera is on the right - I'd suggest moving it left, closer to the wall I see in your snapshot. That way you'll miss some motion coming up the walk but the camera should be much better at picking up the motion when the person does appear.