Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Not Saving Videos more than a week with Arlo Pro 2

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
daleslad
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 3-  Pro2 cameras and I have been lax in checking them  over the last 6 months.   Today I wanted to check on a supposed delivery that never happened,  to see if I could prove it was delivered one way or the other.  I got a rude awakening when I checked on my cameras only to find a weeks worth of videos.   Months before when I had been checking out my cameras I was able to show 2 or 3 months of saved videos.     I was under the impression that as the storage filled up it would automatically dump the old to allow saving the newer videos.

Has my system screwed up some how or has there been a change I was not aware of while I was off doing other things.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
daleslad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for suggestion, I will do that.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro 2 has free 7-day cloud recording.  You can get 30 days of cloud recording with an Arlo Secure subscription (and you might have had a trial subscription before).

Local storage (USB stick in the base) will have more retention, but you would need to eject it from the base and plug it into a PC in order to see it.

daleslad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen,  I appreciate your advice.    I like the idea of using a USB stick in the base,  is there any kind of setup involved to manage this.   Also would I be able to view it on a Mac.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@daleslad wrote:

I like the idea of using a USB stick in the base,  is there any kind of setup involved to manage this.   Also would I be able to view it on a Mac.

Check your base model (there's a label on it somewhere that starts with VMB).  You'd  need at least a VMB4000 to get this feature.

There are some storage settings in the app for the base - allowing you to format the drive, enable storage, and safely eject it when you want to view the recordings.

You can view them either from a Windows PC or a Mac.

daleslad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey there StephenB,  I  gave that a try using a flash drive and I just removed it today to see how it did.  It recorded ok but I thought the viewing left a bit to be desired.  The quality of the picture was not as good and I found it pretty tedious when trying to view them.   I was using Apple's QuickTime player.    I guess you get what you pay for huh!

Unless you have found a better way to view the videos it's back to Arlo and starting digging deep.     Thanks for making me aware of  alternate way to save recordings.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@daleslad wrote:

Unless you have found a better way to view the videos it's back to Arlo and starting digging deep.     Thanks for making me aware of  alternate way to save recordings.  

One option is to leave the USB flash drive in place, but also get the subscription.  The USB drive then serves as a backup to the cloud storage.

daleslad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for suggestion, I will do that.