Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ant
Mentor
Mentor

Hello.

I just got a 2/two wireless cameras + 1/one base station wireless camera system set up. Questions and issues that I ran into:

1. Why does rebooting base station disconnect my Internet (Netgear R6300 router to TWC's TG1672 cable modem)? That should not happen!

2. Why can't I view camera videos and stuff in my SeaMonkey v2.32.1 (same Gecko engine as Firefox's) web browser in my very old, updated Windows XP Pro SP3 machine? No problems in iOS v8.1.2 on both iPad and iPhone 6+. Internet Explorer v8.0 doesn't even connect at all!

3. How come only one/1 device can sign into the account? Is there a way make this limit higher?

4. Does this camera not work behind windows indoor to see outdoor at night? Their night vision displays are blinded by their light reflections.

5. Does subscribed e-mail notifications of new posts in this forum work at all? I seem to get none. 😞

Thank you in advance. 🙂

21 REPLIES 21
ant
Mentor
Mentor

Also, no problems in yesterday's Firefox v36 in an updated Mac OS X v10.8.5.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

<1. Why does rebooting base station disconnect my Internet (Netgear R6300 router to TWC's TG1672 cable modem)? >

have no idea 🙂

<2. Why can't I view camera videos and stuff in my SeaMonkey v2.32.1 >

Because, its a non supported browser with extensions required

List of currently verified browsers;

• Internet Explorer 10 or above
• Firefox 3.5 or above
• Safari 3 or above (Except on Windows and Linux)
• Chrome

This list may be expanded as we implement updates to the Arlo Smart Home Security system. 

<3. How come only one/1 device can sign into the account? Is there a way make this limit higher?>

You can have more than one device to sign in if you add a 'friend' account

<4. Does this camera not work behind windows indoor to see outdoor at night?>

No, the camera does not detect the IR needed for motion detect thru glass AND the IR illumination reflects off the glass  rendering the camera ineffective at night.  BUT, the camera is waterproof, put it outside and it will work fine.

<5. Does subscribed e-mail notifications of new posts in this forum work at all? >

yes, get them all the time here... make sure you check the emal/subscription box, upper right screen

Also go to your user name, click and goto MY SUBSCRIPTIONS

<Thank you in advance. :)>

Welcome

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
ant
Mentor
Mentor

TomMac wrote:

<1. Why does rebooting base station disconnect my Internet (Netgear R6300 router to TWC's TG1672 cable modem)? >

have no idea 🙂

• Firefox 3.5 or above
• Chrome

This list may be expanded as we implement updates to the Arlo Smart Home Security system. 

<3. How come only one/1 device can sign into the account? Is there a way make this limit higher?>

You can have more than one device to sign in if you add a 'friend' account

<4. Does this camera not work behind windows indoor to see outdoor at night?>

No, the camera does not detect the IR needed for motion detect thru glass AND the IR illumination reflects off the glass  rendering the camera ineffective at night.  BUT, the camera is waterproof, put it outside and it will work fine.

<5. Does subscribed e-mail notifications of new posts in this forum work at all? >

yes, get them all the time here... make sure you check the emal/subscription box, upper right screen

Also go to your user name, click and goto MY SUBSCRIPTIONS

<Thank you in advance. :)>

Welcome

Thanks. #5 works now. Weird. It didn't in the past. For #2, I noticed Linux/Debian's Iceweasel v36 (their version of Firefox) and SeaMonkey also can't get video feeds. Also, Mac OS X 10.8.5's SeaMonkey v2.32.1 worked fine. And yes, they all have the (lat/new)est Flash player plugins installed. 😞 Putting these expensive cameras outside can be stolen though. 😕

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

ant wrote:

( Putting these expensive cameras outside can be stolen though. 😕

Even cars are stolen.....  There are tamper resistant mounts using the bottom screw thread... If put up out of reach I doubt someone is going to go out of their way to steal the camera.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

I noticed there is a recycle bin of my deleted videos and screen (capture/shot)s. How do I empty it?  I did not see an option for that in my web browser. I did see a recover option though! Thank you in advance. 🙂

ant
Mentor
Mentor

ant wrote:

TomMac wrote:

• Firefox 3.5 or above
• Chromeuiju

... For #2, I noticed Linux/Debian's Iceweasel v36 (their version of Firefox) and SeaMonkey also can't get video feeds. Also, Mac OS X 10.8.5's SeaMonkey v2.32.1 worked fine. And yes, they all have the (lat/new)est Flash player plugins installed. 😞 Putting these expensive cameras outside can be stolen though. 😕

I just tried brand new Firefox v36.0 and SeaMonkey v2.32.1 web browsers and their Flash v16 installations in a clean, updated Windows XP Pro SP3 VM to test. Same results, but new Chrome installation worked fine. What's up? Does Netgear Arlo's video feeds (live and recorded) not work in Windows XP Pro SP3 and Linux/Debian even if the web browsers are supported?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

ant wrote:

I noticed there is a recycle bin of my deleted videos and screen (capture/shot)s. How do I empty it?  I did not see an option for that in my web browser. I did see a recover option though! Thank you in advance. 🙂

You don't empty it... it Auto Self Deletes in 7 days

( gives you seven days to get back )

ant
Mentor
Mentor

TomMac wrote:

ant wrote:

You don't empty it... it Auto Self Deletes in 7 days

( gives you seven days to get back )

There's no manual emptying? I have a lot of useless medias in there. It would be nice to have a manual empty.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

Is there a way to rename the cameras instead of using their MAC addresses?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

ant wrote:

There's no manual emptying? I have a lot of useless medias in there. It would be nice to have a manual empty.

The storage in the recycle bin doesn't count against your total storage... so it really doesn't make a difference.

if you request a mod to the software, you best bet is to post it here;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/arlo-idea-exchange

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

ant wrote:

Yes ... to rename the cameras, go to SETTINGS, CAMERA SETTINGS, under Name type what ever you want.

( it will auto change the name in rules/modes too )

ant
Mentor
Mentor

TomMac wrote:

ant wrote:

The storage in the recycle bin doesn't count against your total storage... so it really doesn't make a difference.

if you request a mod to the software, you best bet is to post it here;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/arlo-idea-exchange

Done and thanks. 🙂

ant
Mentor
Mentor

TomMac wrote:

ant wrote:

Yes ... to rename the cameras, go to SETTINGS, CAMERA SETTINGS, under Name type what ever you want.

( it will auto change the name in rules/modes too )

Perfect and thanks. 🙂

ant
Mentor
Mentor

Is it me or does the horizontal brightness control doesn't do anything?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

works here

You must be in Live Stream mode, move slider bar to more/less and then click on the "green check" or save...  You should see a messg "Updating".

iris.JPG

to cancel , hit the " black X "

ant
Mentor
Mentor

TomMac wrote:

works here

You must be in Live Stream mode, move slider bar to more/less and then click on the "green check" or save...  You should see a messg "Updating".

iris.JPG

to cancel , hit the " black X "

Ah, I need to press the green check mark. Thanks. BTW, your image seems to be broken?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

BTW, your image seems to be broken?

no...just a screen snip thats why the red box

David_NG
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello ant,

To answer your question, yes you can. If you log into your account this option is located under Settings > Camera Settings. Simply click on the camera you wish to change, delete the SN that’s displayed for that camera and rename the camera. Thanks for you question.

The Arlo Team

David S.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

David_NG wrote:

Hello ant,

To answer your question, yes you can. If you log into your account this option is located under Settings > Camera Settings. Simply click on the camera you wish to change, delete the SN that’s displayed for that camera and rename the camera. Thanks for you question.

The Arlo Team

David S.

Thanks. How would I get these serial numbers back if I need them again?

David_NG
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello Ant

Great question.  The SN for each camera is located inside each battery compartment bay on the right hand side (when holding the camera upside down). Also removing a camera from the system and re-syncing it will bring back that cameras default settings showing the SN once again. 

The Arlo Team

David S.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

David_NG wrote:

Hello Ant

Great question.  The SN for each camera is located inside each battery compartment bay on the right hand side (when holding the camera upside down). Also removing a camera from the system and re-syncing it will bring back that cameras default settings showing the SN once again. 

The Arlo Team

David S.

Thanks. 🙂