Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Karen119
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've set up the base station and 3 cameras successfully but the led for the router port that Arlo is connected to has always been orange, and the outside cameras aren't doing the best job. I've found sometimes movement of a person walking past is missed completely when recording on motion detect, so I'm thinking this slow router port issue could be the reason.

Does anyone know how to fix the slow port issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Karen119
Aspirant
Aspirant

Netgear Support team have answered my question:

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your response. The reason why we are getting an Orange light on the port where the Arlo is connected is because of built-in adapter of the device is only capable of an Fast Ethernet speed(up to 100MBPS) while your router is capable of up to a Gigabit Ethernet speed(up to 1000MBPS).

thanks guys!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Karen119
Aspirant
Aspirant

Netgear Support team have answered my question:

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your response. The reason why we are getting an Orange light on the port where the Arlo is connected is because of built-in adapter of the device is only capable of an Fast Ethernet speed(up to 100MBPS) while your router is capable of up to a Gigabit Ethernet speed(up to 1000MBPS).

thanks guys!

hawgwild
Initiate
Initiate

Given that most routers sold today including the NetGear R4500 are FAST routers, you would think when the Arlo base station was being designed it would have been built with a likewise faster adapter.  Kind of annoying to see my other ethernet ports Green while the Arlo port is orange/amber.  Can this be fixed via a firmware update or our we stuck with the way it is?  Tempted to return the product back to Best Buy and look for a different system.

doraemon
Prodigy
Prodigy

ports for sure can't be fixed by firmware. 

that has to be the hardware.

------------------------------
gimme dorayaki 😄
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

hawgwild wrote:

Given that most routers sold today including the NetGear R4500 are FAST routers, you would think when the Arlo base station was being designed it would have been built with a likewise faster adapter.  Kind of annoying to see my other ethernet ports Green while the Arlo port is orange/amber.  Can this be fixed via a firmware update or our we stuck with the way it is?  Tempted to return the product back to Best Buy and look for a different system.

The color of an LED seems like an unlikely reason to return a device.  The upload speed of the videos is limited not by the port speed but your ISP connection/World Wide Wait which, for almost all folks, is slower than 100Mb.