Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras|NETGEAR
Highlighted
Aspirant

Multiple triggers (Arlo Pro 2 and Security Light)

Hello,

Basic functionality of my Arlo equipment (three Arlo Pro 2 cameras and three Security Lights) works as expected and I am able to create Custom modes and Rules. Still I like to get an advice about how to set the equipment to work optimally in my specific case:

• My house has three possible entries (“weak points”), so on each I installed one camera and one light, both pointing to the same spot, but mounted from somehow different angles
  • Main goal of Arlo equipment in my case is prevention, so the desired functionality is fairly simple: in case of an “event” corresponding camera should take a recording and ALL three security lights should start blinking for a specific time period

General question is: how should I set necessary rules, that my Arlo equipment will perform expected functionality in the most reliable way?

Essentially the key question is: is it OK that all the devices are set to actively monitor for motion or is it may be better if only one device per location is doing so?

• If all devices are active, than in normal situation there will always be more than one trigger per event: like camera will start recording and switch on lights and at the same time also light will request camera recording and also switch on all the lights!?
    • Is such situation of “multiple triggers” considered normal and acceptable for Arlo equipment, or this will cause unnecessary confusion?
      • Worst case is if one device is getting different requests at the same time. For example: light is programed to start blinking white if it detects moving, but at the same time camera is requesting the same light to switch on permanently in red light!? I know that this is example of a wrong use, but just to highlight possible conflicts.

Thank you in advance for the advice or guideline.

Best regards

Zvone

Model: VMC3030 | Arlo Wire-Free Camera
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Guru

Re: Multiple triggers (Arlo Pro 2 and Security Light)

I use cameras and lights to cross-triggereach other so if one misses, the other will catch. I think your idea is spot-on.

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Guru

I use cameras and lights to cross-triggereach other so if one misses, the other will catch. I think your idea is spot-on.

Message 2 of 4
Aspirant

Thank you for the clear answer, I understand that cross triggering is the logical and preferred way how to use Arlo equipment.

I conclude that Arlo equipment is designed in a way that when device is once “active”, additional triggers or requests are not “disturbing” the performance. Still I would like to understand if additional triggers and requests are simply ignored (by the device already “performing”) or they are somehow queued and processed later?

Best regards

Zvone

Message 3 of 4
Guru

There's no queuing. ANy camera recording will simply have to finish, reset and be available for the next detection.

Message 4 of 4