Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connecting To Google Wifi Router issue

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Jeffr2029
Tutor
Tutor

Has anyone had issues connecting the Arlo base to Google WiFi router? Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
richrich
Aspirant
Aspirant

Problem was solved by removing the basestation (which removes the cameras as well) in the app and then adding the base station + cameras again. No need for reset on base station or changes to Google Wifi.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Tell us what your problem is and what you've tried so far. I believe some folks with mesh networking have had success connecting the base to the router, not the satellite.

Jeffr2029
Tutor
Tutor

We recently purchased the Google WiFi router. Plugging into the system is no different than a regular router however, my iPhone Arlo app is not recognizing any new systems. It’s unable to pick up the base station

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What are the LEDs on the base showing? Power and Internet have to be green, Camera may be off or amber. If the Internet LED is off, not connection has been made to the router while amber means the base has been assigned an IP address but can't contact the servers. The fix varies. 

Jeffr2029
Tutor
Tutor

Both power and internet are displaying green. Everything is normal except my phone isn’t picking up the device. Thank you again for your time

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And your phone is connected to your WiFi? If so, try a browser.

dkcjb1
Initiate
Initiate
Similar issue. I had a Netgear router and my Arlo account linked to Google Home app and streamed to Google Hub with no problem. Switched to Google WiFi mesh and suddenly couldn't stream to the Hub...Arlo app continued to function normally.

Arlo tech support told.me the msg displaying on hub means the real time streaming protocol port is being blocked by the google router. He said I needed to make sure port #123 was open.

Tech guy for Google WiFi suggested creating. Port forwarding rule but didn't know the specifics (is the internal and external port # 123, is connection TCP, etc).

Out of frustration, I tried to unlink the Arlo and then relink....and boom, now I can't relink the account either. Get msg to check connection.

Back to the port forwarding rule, I create a rule for 123 both external and internal, and set protocol to both. Now I can relink my Arlo account again BUT still no streaming to the hub.

Very frustrated at this point and out of ideas. Feel the answer is maybe the port forwarding rule but dont know how to tweak it.

BTW, my nest doorbells stream perfectly but not the Arlos. Seems Google made sure its own products worked. Sure hope this issue wasn't intentional. Also worth noting the light bridges connected to my base stations work through the hub, just not the cameras.

Any suggestions would be great!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's more important to make sure ports 80 (http) and 443 (https) are open to arlo.netgear.com. Port 123 is for NTP (network time protocol) so that time sync for the base is done with a known server.

Other have used the Google mesh successfully so it's possible to make it work. I don't have a mesh network but others have said connecting the base to the router rather than a satellite.

richrich
Aspirant
Aspirant

Starting this morning, I have the same problem. All LEDs on base station is shining in green, but Arlo app says base station is offline.

It probabably has to do with my Google Wifi getting this update at 05:04:

https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/9156572?hl=en

Haven't troubleshooted yet... other than restarting the base station.

richrich
Aspirant
Aspirant

Problem was solved by removing the basestation (which removes the cameras as well) in the app and then adding the base station + cameras again. No need for reset on base station or changes to Google Wifi.

SUESTEVE
Aspirant
Aspirant
Tried all the suggestions, the only thing that worked was a hard reset on the base station. Once that was comlpeted, the discovery was no problem. Arlo phone help was terrible, 50 minute wait and their standard 123 port answer which didn't work. Don't waste your time with them. There is actually better help if you hit the question mark during the base station add process. Model was VBM 4000 which was not included in the drop down above.