Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Multiple triggers (Arlo Pro 2 and Security Light)

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Zvone
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

Basic functionality of my Arlo equipment (three Arlo Pro 2 cameras and three Security Lights) works as expected and I am able to create Custom modes and Rules. Still I like to get an advice about how to set the equipment to work optimally in my specific case:

• My house has three possible entries (“weak points”), so on each I installed one camera and one light, both pointing to the same spot, but mounted from somehow different angles
  • Main goal of Arlo equipment in my case is prevention, so the desired functionality is fairly simple: in case of an “event” corresponding camera should take a recording and ALL three security lights should start blinking for a specific time period

General question is: how should I set necessary rules, that my Arlo equipment will perform expected functionality in the most reliable way?

Essentially the key question is: is it OK that all the devices are set to actively monitor for motion or is it may be better if only one device per location is doing so?

• If all devices are active, than in normal situation there will always be more than one trigger per event: like camera will start recording and switch on lights and at the same time also light will request camera recording and also switch on all the lights!?
    • Is such situation of “multiple triggers” considered normal and acceptable for Arlo equipment, or this will cause unnecessary confusion?
      • Worst case is if one device is getting different requests at the same time. For example: light is programed to start blinking white if it detects moving, but at the same time camera is requesting the same light to switch on permanently in red light!? I know that this is example of a wrong use, but just to highlight possible conflicts.

Thank you in advance for the advice or guideline.

Best regards

Zvone

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I use cameras and lights to cross-triggereach other so if one misses, the other will catch. I think your idea is spot-on.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I use cameras and lights to cross-triggereach other so if one misses, the other will catch. I think your idea is spot-on.

Zvone
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the clear answer, I understand that cross triggering is the logical and preferred way how to use Arlo equipment.

I conclude that Arlo equipment is designed in a way that when device is once “active”, additional triggers or requests are not “disturbing” the performance. Still I would like to understand if additional triggers and requests are simply ignored (by the device already “performing”) or they are somehow queued and processed later?

Best regards

Zvone

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's no queuing. ANy camera recording will simply have to finish, reset and be available for the next detection.