Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Blackharley
Guide
Guide
Motion won't pick person up 15 ft away but picks up traffic over 100 ft away worthless for any kind of security system will get money back and buy wired system record 24 7
5 REPLIES 5
ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello Blackharley,

I am interested in learning more about how your camera(s) are detecting motion. It is not likely that the traffic 100 ft. away is causing the camera to trigger a motion event. I can confirm a motion event is triggered by the change in heat (decrease or increase). Can you provide a detailed description of how your camera is mounted along with the sensitivity setting?

If you haven't done so already, check out the following link to view a video that will provide recommended placement of the camera:

Using Motion Detection

I look forward to your next update. If you'd prefer to troubleshoot this issue via the telephone please send me a private message with your phone number and the best time to reach you and I'll do my best to accommodate your schedule.

Best Regards,

Christine

Arlo Team

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY if you found this helpful.
Blackharley
Guide
Guide

***phone number edit out ***

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Your passive IR detector will pick up motion from very far away if the signal is large enough and moving fast enough since it keys off of angular changes in IR energy.  Sunlight has a huge amount or IR, and avoiding it is likely one reason why you recommend pointing the cameras down.  The cameras should never be pointed toward traffic, even 100 ft away, if sunlight can reflect off of the vehicles.

Blackharley
Guide
Guide
They are pointed down picking up way in background no one points them straight down
Blackharley
Guide
Guide
When is this update they keep talking about coming out