Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Model VMS3230 app permissions include access to bluetooth

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
2eyes
Aspirant
Aspirant

My question is about the arlo app, currently used on a pixel phone and an Asus tablet. The app requires permission to enable Bluetooth ("Allows the app to configure the local Bluetooth tablet, and to discover and pair with remote devices"). Says much the same on my phone app. These permissions are under "All permissions", not one of the ones with off/on buttons, therefore I cannot turn off this permission. I don't forsee the need for a Bluetooth connection for my needs.

Perhaps I'm overly concerned but I don't want an outsider to get to my app and turn on Bluetooth or connect to my phone or my laptop without my knowing it. Anyone know how to deal with this unmonitored potential connection? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
2eyes
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ah! Just discovered I can't log on to the full arlo website through my pixel or tablet without the app. It will show my account but won't access cameras like it does on a pc. I think you have the only solution - since my pixel or asus won't allow me to turn off Bluetooth like your S7 (wonder why that is) I guess I can sign out of the app and only sign in when I get a notification. Guess I should ask google why the permissions are different from S7.

Thanks for your insight.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If it's in the permissions, there not much you can do but accept or deny ...

Thinking that is possible it is in there for future connections like to Arlo Baby or similar new products

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
2eyes
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks TomMac,

Since I can't deny the Bluetooth permission on the app I either accept the potential risk or uninstall the app I guess. I can always use the online connection on my phone and skip the app, just slightly less convenient.

Probably in there for future use - just wonder why it wasn't set up with a choice.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

or anothe way is to use the app but 1) option to turn off BT ( on phone. my S7 allows it )  2 ) fully sign out each time with app

Morse is faster than texting!
2eyes
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ah! Just discovered I can't log on to the full arlo website through my pixel or tablet without the app. It will show my account but won't access cameras like it does on a pc. I think you have the only solution - since my pixel or asus won't allow me to turn off Bluetooth like your S7 (wonder why that is) I guess I can sign out of the app and only sign in when I get a notification. Guess I should ask google why the permissions are different from S7.

Thanks for your insight.