Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Local storage stopped working

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
rottielover
Tutor
Tutor
First I have to admit I’m not 100% sure which model base station I have. I got my kit a few years back 4 Pro cameras with base station. Maybe a year or two ago I setup a WD external “my book” storage on the USB port. It connected and was working back then as far as I remember. Recently I had something come up and needed to look for a recording from 37 days ago (of course right past the cloud storage limit). I go into the app and noticed that my older recordings aren’t showing up, then I look for local storage and it’s greyed out and won’t enable.

Did netgear change something in the software in an update???
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rottielover
Tutor
Tutor

Model is a 4000

I have this all mounted in a closet so it took me a bit to get to the WD My book and get it hooked up to my PC, turns out when I did I heard the classic "click of death" coming from it.

I stuck an 8 Gb USB stick into the base station and local storage is up and going again.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Dannybear
Master
Master
The model number for the base station should be on the label under the unit. Should begin with VMB.
What size is your USB storage device and when were the last recordings?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rottielover wrote:
First I have to admit I’m not 100% sure which model base station I have. 

Look for a label on the base that starts with VMB

@rottielover wrote:
Maybe a year or two ago I setup a WD external “my book” storage on the USB port. It connected and was working back then as far as I remember. Recently I had something come up and needed to look for a recording from 37 days ago (of course right past the cloud storage limit).

I suggest testing the disk with the WD Dashboard utility.

@rottielover wrote:
Did netgear change something 

Just an FYI - Netgear divested Arlo back in 2018.

rottielover
Tutor
Tutor

Model is a 4000

I have this all mounted in a closet so it took me a bit to get to the WD My book and get it hooked up to my PC, turns out when I did I heard the classic "click of death" coming from it.

I stuck an 8 Gb USB stick into the base station and local storage is up and going again.