Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 31 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Nick_Brisbane
Tutor
Tutor

I need to find the mac address on my arlo camera.

I actually have 2 arlo cam's and I need the mac address for each one.

I cannot find them listed in the iPhone app, and I have logged onto my arlo with a PC and cannot find anything in that with the arlo mac addresses either.

The boxes that I bought them in I threw away weeks ago.

Once the box is gone your meant to be able to look up the mac adddress on the device when it comes to networked devices. I dont know why Netgear has made it an impossible mission to find the arlo mac addresses??

Anyone know how to find them??

p.s. not the base station, but the camera's.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ydaer
Tutor
Tutor

It might be the virtual MAC address from you WiFi Range Extender EX6200 

Check this KB How can I retrieve the virtual MAC address from the WiFi Range Extender to setup an Access List?

This explains the last 3 octets are the same.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
michaeli
Guide
Guide

I dont think the cameras have MAC addresses. 

I'd love to have someone correct me, but I believe the base station connects to your local network, then it has a proprietary connection to the cameras, so you will only get an IP address for the base station and the cameras are not talking to your network through standard tcpip.

Nick_Brisbane
Tutor
Tutor
That may be partially right.

I can see 2 Mac addresses in my DHCP table that are not named like my other devices.

I THINK that's the 2 cameras. But I can't be sure without being able to confirm. The only way to confirm is to know what the camera MAC addresses are.
michaeli
Guide
Guide

if you think you can see them in the dhcp table, ping those addresses, if they respond, pull the batteries out of a camera and try ping again.

I have looked at my dhcp table and only see the base station...but then again, i do have several devices and could just be missing them.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Nick_Brisbane wrote:
That may be partially right.

I can see 2 Mac addresses in my DHCP table that are not named like my other devices.

I THINK that's the 2 cameras. But I can't be sure without being able to confirm. The only way to confirm is to know what the camera MAC addresses are.

Just turn one/ then two off and if it goes away , then thats it ! very simple

But why the need for mac addresses as the cameras can only sync to the Arlo base station? And since the cameras sync to the Arlo base, which is its own wifi system... the mac addreses would be in the arlo base not your main wifi router

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Nick_Brisbane
Tutor
Tutor
I have a complex network. I need the Mac addresses for various reasons. The reason is not all that important. The main thing I need to know is how to find them.

Every network device has them. They should never have to be a secret.

I'm trying to avoid pulling the batteries out because the are mounted outside the house 2 stories up in the air, on permanent mounts not those silly magnetic come steal me stands that they give you with the cameras.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Nick_Brisbane wrote:
I have a complex network. I need the Mac addresses for various reasons. The reason is not all that important. The main thing I need to know is how to find them.

Every network device has them. They should never have to be a secret.

I'm trying to avoid pulling the batteries out because the are mounted outside the house 2 stories up in the air, on permanent mounts not those silly magnetic come steal me stands that they give you with the cameras.

I agree, that all wifi units will have mac addresses....thats a given. All you need is the pw to get into the arlo base

But Arlo setups it own wifi system, your network won't see the MAC address only the arlo base will ... and the base doesnt need to send out the mac address of the cameras , only the processed data down the ethernet cable.

Ok...but for you I pulled out a camera.. no MAC address appears on inside labels ...only serial number ( which you'd still have to get and ask Netgear to back trace if possible for a mac via that.)

Nick_Brisbane
Tutor
Tutor
Tom thanks for checking your camera's for me. That's disappointing that it's not in the cam somewhere.

I understand what you guys are saying about the base station and its own network but I can see 2 foreign Mac addresses on my router.

Looks like I'm going to have to climb 2 stories to pull the batteries out so see if that's their MAC address on my network.

I'm really disappointed in Netgear that something as simple as a MAC address has been made impossible to find.

By the way for those that think it's not needed... Just remember that just because you don't need something it does not mean the next person doesn't.

Sometimes we've had to use MAC address filtering for security. I know for a fact that even when devices are on a seperate base station, the MAC address is still required to be entered or the devices cannot get bast the router.

I'm not using MAC address filtering but it's just one example of when a MAC address is required for devices accessing a router from a different base station.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Nick_Brisbane wrote:
snip
Sometimes we've had to use MAC address filtering for security. I know for a fact that even when devices are on a seperate base station, the MAC address is still required to be entered or the devices cannot get bast the router.

I'm not using MAC address filtering but it's just one example of when a MAC address is required for devices accessing a router from a different base station.

Nick... I agree with you, there's no need to hide the macs since the base is locked down... I would guess in the 'ease of simplicity' .

Not to beat a dead horse, (my setup is simple ) ... But I use MAC filtering with my cisco router and add on switch as part of my security... Never had to enter the unknown macs for the system to work ( as long as the right ports are open )

MAC addresses from the cameras don't make seem to make it out of Arlo base to the router. Unless your sniffing the wifi signal itself between the base and cameras I havn't seen it. BTW, If you have the ability to do that you can prob pick up the MAC addresses in the data flow.

Nick_Brisbane
Tutor
Tutor
You missed something.

I can already see the 2 camera Mac addresses in my router. So there is no it doesn't get to the router. I'm almost certain that they are the cameras as I have been through my network today and they are the only 2 devices it can be.

My point is - I want to confirm that they are the cameras !!

The only way I can do that is to know what the Mac addresses are.

Netgear this is flaming ridiculous !
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

My point is - I want to confirm that they are the cameras !!

sorry about the climb..don't fall !

Nick_Brisbane
Tutor
Tutor
If I could post an image here is show you but this forum has no way to post images.....
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sure is a way to post images - right between the link and numbered list buttons on the menu bar of the reply window.  

Take a deep breath...  😉

Nick_Brisbane
Tutor
Tutor
I'm going to raise a support ticket. I shouldn't need to turn it off to find this out.

8 192.168.0.81 Arlo Cam 1 6C:B0:CE:A1:D8:63
9 192.168.0.82 Arlo Cam 2 6E:B0:CE:A1:D8:63

P.s. I named them cam 1 & 2 in my router they don't just show up like that.
Nick_Brisbane
Tutor
Tutor
I'm on an iPhone... Even in full site view I can't see any way to post images
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My quick search shows that MAC addresses starting with 6c and 6e don't belong to Netgear...

Nick_Brisbane
Tutor
Tutor
Couldn't upload images in Safari. Turns out you can in chrome !
image.jpg
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Be aware that images don't show up for other than the poster for a bit - no idea why. I see the placeholder but not the image yet.

Nick_Brisbane
Tutor
Tutor
I just looked up the MAC address on my router at the below. The below confirms Mac addresses starting with 6c:b0:Ce are in fact Netgear brand. It must be the cams then.

https://code.wireshark.org/review/gitweb?p=wireshark.git;a=blob_plain;f=manuf

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

6c:b0:ce shows but not 6e*.  I can't see the MACs on my router or WiFi config utilities but it's really rather immaterial since it only is a connection between the cameras and base station - you'd have to be a network/hardware guru to be able to use them for anything else.  If you can hack into the system, all bets are off, of course.

Nick_Brisbane
Tutor
Tutor
The two are only 1 digit in difference
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First off, there's no way in normal usage an IP address would be assigned from your router. Any address would be from the base station. Also, the MAC addresses are definitely not 1 digit different.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Something is just not right with this

But it is an interesting thread.

Nick_Brisbane
Tutor
Tutor
One has a C and one has an E.... How is that not 1 digit different?

It's not very helpful to comment "nuh arr" by the way....
Nick_Brisbane
Tutor
Tutor
Here's a question.

How do you know that the base station is acting as a DHCP router and not a repeater?

If the bast station is acting as a repeater this all makes perfect sense.

It only doesn't make sense if the base station is serving instead of repeating?