Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 31 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Nick_Brisbane
Tutor
Tutor

I need to find the mac address on my arlo camera.

I actually have 2 arlo cam's and I need the mac address for each one.

I cannot find them listed in the iPhone app, and I have logged onto my arlo with a PC and cannot find anything in that with the arlo mac addresses either.

The boxes that I bought them in I threw away weeks ago.

Once the box is gone your meant to be able to look up the mac adddress on the device when it comes to networked devices. I dont know why Netgear has made it an impossible mission to find the arlo mac addresses??

Anyone know how to find them??

p.s. not the base station, but the camera's.

31 REPLIES 31
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nick_Brisbane wrote:
One has a C and one has an E.... How is that not 1 digit different?

I interpreted it as being off by one number - C to E is two.  Semantics.  In any event, 6e* isn't listed as a Netgear MAC.

Back on track, how is it that you are seeing what is supposedly the caeras on your router, complete with IP addresses, when that's not how it works?  Is the base station a repeater or a separate router?  It's obviously assigning its own addresses to the cameras like using two routers with both DHCP servers activated. 

One thing I haven't tried is to have the base station off and attempt to see if the cameras show up on my router.  The camera firmware may disallow this but it could be interesting.  However, any connection to anything other than the base station would interfere with camera operation so it would be of no use, merely an academic exercise.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat wrote:

snip..

One thing I haven't tried is to have the base station off and attempt to see if the cameras show up on my router.  The camera firmware may disallow this but it could be interesting. .

Been there , done that , and can say I couldn't even get my two routers to see the cameras... ( tho my signal detector does show an output from the cameras at times -- some sort of ping )

The cams will only link to the Base by design as we know.... And the Arlo Base is NOT a repeator, its a a wifi router/processor for the cameras.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Nick_Brisbane
Tutor
Tutor

My router is a Netgear D6300.

I also have a Netgear EX6200 router range extender.

Its the D6300 I can see Mac Addresses on the DHCP table.

I have just gone into cmd on my windows laptop and used command "arp -a 192.168.0.1" to see the mac address of each IP... the funny thing is they are different to whats on that DHCP table.

I don't know whats going on here with this Netgear interface but it's making things really difficult.

For example, the Arlo base station has on the bottom of it on a sticker, MAC: A0:63:91:23:41: DB but when that device is connected to the router, it shows up on the table as 02:0F:B5:23:41: DB - I note that last 6 digits are the same but the first 6 are not (device is on 192168.0.50)

Within Windows when I arp that address 192.168.0.50 I get "no arp entries found".

Then within windows I arp address 192.168.0.50 (which is the Netgear extender) it shows as 6C:B0:CE:A1: D8:62 but on the router table it shows as 02:0F:B5:A1: D8:62 - again I note that the last 6 digits are correct with the first 6 being different???

Anyone know whats going on?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Well, one possibility is that someone has piggybacked onto your WiFi...

ydaer
Tutor
Tutor

It might be the virtual MAC address from you WiFi Range Extender EX6200 

Check this KB How can I retrieve the virtual MAC address from the WiFi Range Extender to setup an Access List?

This explains the last 3 octets are the same.

Nick_Brisbane
Tutor
Tutor
Virtual MAC address from the extender.... That explains everything.... I had no idea.
Minburn57
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, resurrecting this thread (and really not wanting to search the hell out of things for answers that might or might not exist . . . )

Working on my router today to clean a few things out (unused net devices).  Just one router and no extenders or such.  Interesting that I see two 'very' similar MAC addresses that one has been confirmed to be the Arlo base station.  The second differs by only the final two characters.

Found this thread in a general net search and am wondering if anyone resolved to any degree what might indeed be the case.  I doubt fluke that two devices can be so close yet unrelated.  The one device was automatically identified as 'VMB3010' and manufacturer 'Netgear'; the second identified only as a generic 'WPS Router' and manufacturer 'Netgear'.

So I could use any/all suggestions on this. 

Oh yeah . . . and as to the original posters suspicions of two cameras for those two very close MAC addresses, I have 5 cams . . . . .

Thanks in advance