Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo too slow to react

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 5 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Focusben
Follower
Follower

Website will not accept model number of system VMS3230C from Costco. 

I have 4 of these mounted around the house. None of them react fast enough to catch somebody if they were breaking in. I have one that covers the driveway and it got a truck entering the driveway, completly missed the driver walking 60 feet to the house but did get them going away when you cannot see their face. The one covering 2 back doors reports motion but misses every action at those doors unless the person stops and waits at a door for awhile. Is there a way to improve reaction time?

1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Placement and adjustment are important... along with record time;

First the PIR is good for people only out to about 20ft. Cars it will pick up farther away as the camera detects motion via IR and cars thend to be a big reflector of IR

Second , set up so the motion will cross the camera view as opposed to straight on.

Third, there is a sens e level adjustment in the mode you are using to arm the camera.

Forth, there is also a time adjustment in the same place.

So my recommendation to you is

1) find a good placement point and don't try to cover an area MORE than the PIR ( device used to detect motion ) will cover say 20 ft.

2) place them across the path of travel of a subject

3) keep road traffic out of the picture

4) don't place the cameras right at the door but back a ways so walking in they trip the camera and the short delay to record won't matter as much and you will get them at your door and leaving for a face picture

5) adjust the sense level

6 adjust the time to record  ( up to 2 mins ) , a good time to start is 30 seconds , change again later as needed

Go to the FAQS on this board, most of the above are explained in detail with the step by step directions

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------