Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
johnm304
Tutor
Tutor

I absolutely love the functionality of my Arlo system, but it is generating a signficant amount of interfernce with my PC wifi network.  If I disconnect my Arlo basestation, my PC link speeds on my 2.4Ghz network is about 90-120 Mbps about 25 feet away from my router.  When I plug the Arlo basestation in, my link speed drops to 30-40 Mbps.

I've used a wifi analysizer and can see that the only wifi networks in my area is my own, and the one that the Arlo basestation creates.  (I live in a rural area.)  I've tried changing the wifi channel of my router, but the Arlo system seems to follow it (within about 30 minutes.)  There must be some setting that allows me to specifiy the wifi channel of the basestation, right?   

Firmware 1.9.4.0_15548

Hardware VMB3010r2

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No...not really.

The base station is locked down for security and the channel of the base unit will follow your wifi router ( if within about 20ft )...Netgear's test have shown the same channel causes less issues than others.

You have an option of moving the base away via ethernet OR if you can get a wifi repeator on a diff channel that it uses.

The only other option is to change your router's channel, reset the base and let it settle on the new channel AND then change your router back to the original channel... this mind will not be set in stone if the base unit resets again for any reason ( power outage, etc )... it will go back to follow your router again

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
johnm304
Tutor
Tutor

Wow... I would love to see this test that Netgear did.  I wonder why my real world experience is so much different than what they are seeing in a lab.  I can't be the only one, right? 

It seems that it would be amazingly simple to allow customers to chose their own channel instead of playing these router games.  Does anyone know if Netgear is even considering adding it as an option in a future release?

Netgear... are you listening??

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Well... they prob know more than me.

But myself, I have two bases running right now.  Each one is aprox 6 ft away , each side, of my router. ( so do others here have close placement )

Neither one as any effect on the speed of the router. ( Orbi main router ).

Speed tests show no diff , as others have mentioned your problem once or twice in the past too... it may just be a specific router interference , don't know

johnm304
Tutor
Tutor

Interesting that you mention that you are running Orbi... another Netgear product.  Perhaps these basestations are designed perfectly to work with other Netgear products.

I'm using a dedicated Ubiquiti WAP Pro.  Perhaps my lack of brand loyalty is the issue here?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't think so. I've run various bases next to various high-powered routers from both Netgear and Asus with no problems. Currently, my Pro base is almost touching an antenna on myNG R8000P router but in any case the base has been no further than about 6 inches away from the routers.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

johnm304 wrote:

Interesting that you mention that you are running Orbi... another Netgear product.  Perhaps these basestations are designed perfectly to work with other Netgear products.

No, it's just my current router.... I've had two others that were non Netgear without a difference in the last 3 yrs.

johnm304
Tutor
Tutor

Can you go into a little more detail on how to get a second router/repeater to trick the channel of the basestation?

I pulled an old (Netgear) router out of the closet.  I placed the old wireless router on channel 1, and my new wireless access point on channel 11.  The basestation has settled on channel 6.  That's better, but I still have a 4 channel overlap.  (The ubiqutie WAP uses HT40.)

thanks