Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing Arrive/leave Can't differentiate devices

Discussion stats
Mbambi28
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yesterday I received my new arlo alarm system. I updated to the new app and installed the system. I set up a leave/arrive automation and the geofencing only has the option to select old iPhone devices that i don’t even use anymore. Prior to yesterdays update, my geofencing was working fine. 

Please help. Ive deleted that app, I’ve changed the location services in iPhones settings on and off, as well us under the arlo app settings. I deleted all trusted devices, I’ve logged on and off, and geofencing won’t have my current iPhone as an option to select. 

help 

81 REPLIES 81
romey
Tutor
Tutor

Any updates on this? 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@romey 

It looks like the dev team is still investigating the root cause, I will continue to provide updates as soon as received. 

Thanks 

romey
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks Shayne. This issue is making the Geofencing routine unusable at the moment. Not clear why there isn't a way to either clear/edit device history, use a better device naming convention, or indicate which devices are being actively used. I see devices on the list that haven't been used in 4 years. Looking forward to this getting resolved.

Thanks!

arloUser58
Star
Star

Same problem here.  It shows 5 devices and some of them the name is cut off, others are just Iphone.  None of them match any devices we are using.  My wife and I both have iphones.  Totally unusable and looking at the date of the first post more than 2 months have passed.  I contact support chat today, they were utterly clueless.  Do we get a 2 month credit on our subscription for software not working as advertised?

curen
Aspirant
Aspirant

I finally got geofencing working but then  I had to factory reset my phone.  After reinstalling the app, now I have to specific people listed in automations. So, when  I leave the automation doesn't work. Bit when  I come back, it works. I tried to find a way to delete the specific person, which by the way are called the same, but I can't find a way to do it. Please help!!!¡!

linuxsurfer
Tutor
Tutor

I am having this same issue. My wife and I both have iphones, and there are 7 devices listed under the geofencing settings, and I cannot tell which are the two active devices and which 5 are old ones, due to the same names. Please advise.

Embermarai
Tutor
Tutor

Has a fix for this been identified?

linuxsurfer
Tutor
Tutor

I don't know of a fix, although I do have an open case on it (43407629 if you are listening, Arlo). I was able to work around the issue by trial and error (selecting one device, leaving the house, if it didn't work, repeat with each device until you find the right one).

Boycie247
Tutor
Tutor

I too have this issue. I have arrive and leave automations set up identically, ie. Anyone arrives/Everyone leaves. The arrive automation works just fine and changes mode. The leave one does nothing. How can this be?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Obviously, location capability of the phone has to be used so check that first. A screenshot of your Leave screen may be useful.

Mbambi28
Apprentice
Apprentice

This temporary solution is no longer working.  As of last week. 

Is the geofencing fix coming soon?

JoeTheBassGuy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue. Wife has iOS with latest vesion of iOS, and latest version of Arlo app. Wife has shared Admin permissions on my account. I cannot see her device when setting up geofencing.

I can only see my devices when setting up geofencing. I am operating the latest version of Android on my phone & tablet. Both phone & tablet are using latest version of Arlo app.

Also, the customized trusted names for the devices (in the 2PA settings) are not appearing with the same customized names in the geofencing/specific people settings.

Also, the geofencing feature just does not work at all.

Please fix.

Boycie247
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo have admitted to me that Geofencing is not currently set up to work in tandem with Schedules, which incidentally worked flawlessly on the old app.

However, I’ve tried deleting the schedules and still the leave geofence won’t work! 

Not sure how they can get away with releasing a new app version without checking it works. Surely that’s what beta testing is for…!

@Arlo, please reinstate the old app or offer it as a legacy option until you’ve fixed these issues. 

Georgesc3
Aspirant
Aspirant

Add me to the list. I'm going to try to suggestion of using the first device, be interesting if it works since its called Samsung something (I've been on IOS for many years.

Eyball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Would be nice if someday Arlo took care of this.  How can you allow this to continue when people are using this software to protect their homes and family members.  It’s been months, do you actually have in house developers?  

glyons
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same issue Arlo. Please sort this ASAP. It’s taken almost half a year since the original post which is a shambles.

FlyGuyTX
Initiate
Initiate

Since upgrading to new app experience (“Arlo Secure”), geofencing has been problematic. It worked for a bit, now has completely stopped working. I wanted to test with just one device - but there are 11 devices listed. Some are just generic “iPhone”.  None match my three “trusted devices”. HOW DO I GET RID OF THEM?  Does not seem possible in the app. Instructions to update on the web don’t resolve it. 

bryceee
Tutor
Tutor

@Arlo  please allow us back to the old app. That worked with geolocation and schedules. 

I recently bought a new Ultra 2 camera package and a single Pro 5 2k camera. Now it shows 8 phones/tablets as users even though it's just me and my wife. Her phone shows up twice too - if I select specific people then choose one of the many "iPhones", save, leave the routine and come back in 2 of the "iPhones" are selected. We only have 2 devices under MFA so I don't know what is going on.

Also, I can no longer turn cameras on at night and off in the morning as the schedule doesn't work with geolocation. If we're home that's fine. If we're away it turns the cameras off in the morning and doesn't re-check locations. I've tried just setting the schedule to be 

9:30 pm: Arm away + disable "Anyone arrives"
05:30am: enable "Anyone arrives"

The latter doesn't change camera mode but also doesn't re-check locations so it just doesn't work.

It all worked in the old app. Please let us use the working old one!

linuxsurfer
Tutor
Tutor

I agree that the old experience was superior to the new - Can we please get the old experience back?

romey
Tutor
Tutor

@ShayneS @Any updates on this? Seems like this isn’t an isolated issue, many people are having a similar negative experience. 

Wolf2023
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did someone reply to this message ? 
Have exactly the same issue. 
Two trusted registered iPhones should be listed but instead it shows 4 IPhones without any Name plus an IPad that does not exist. 

Although my iPhone has a clear name as well as my wife’s who has full access rights too. 
And as such, any geofencing rule does not work, because the App does not understand who left and who is still in the house. 
Also…. partially over 1000 feeds over night ( killing battery in under 8 hours ) for no apparent reason. 
And each feed to be deleted one by one …. Really guys ? You can do better than this. 

romey
Tutor
Tutor

I got an email notification saying @ShayneS merged a reply or something, but not seeing a post anywhere…

Georgesc3
Aspirant
Aspirant

For me, I finally figured out to try one of the generic iPhone selections. Once I found the right one, it works for my phone. I still don’t have my wife’s working but better than nothing I guess. Just crazy that this major bug is still not fixed

Eyball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Went to my camp today and geofencing did nothing.  Cam remaining armed and took a bunch of videos.  Arlo please fix!!!!!!!!!

Eyball
Apprentice
Apprentice

I should also mention that while I was away at my camp my wife went out and my home cameras failed to arm as well.  So glad I paid so much for these cameras and cloud service that fails to work.  Might as well manually arm/disarm because that’s about all that does work in this software.