Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Foggy view 24/7 on Arlo gen 1. Had it for couple of years (example included).

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
TessG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi!

So I've tried to find the solution by myself but i've unfortunately reached a dead end, maybe you can help me?

I have an Arlo gen 1 thats been outside for a couple of years (under a rooftop) and I've not had any major problems at all, up until now. I took it inside a couple of days ago to change the batteries and when i switched it on I noticed that the image was foggy, i thought it had something to do with bringing it in from the cold weather and I let it rest on my table for 24 hours. Next day I cleaned the lens thoroughly but the problem remains. 
(I can't say for sure that the problem started by bringing it inside, didn't check the live view before taking it down)

This is what I've done:
1. Cleaned the front 

2. Changed batteries, again
3. Checked for updates
4. Tried everything I could find under camera settings
5. Tested it in various light

Any ideas? Is it beyond salvation?

Thank you!

https://imgur.com/ECTKSBw (foggy view)

https://imgur.com/KqVlN9B   (front of camera)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The resolution hasn't been changed - it was some sort of compression setting. That said, what you're seeing isn't resolution or compression-related, it appears to be either moisture in the camera or possibly a brightness setting since it affects the whole image. I'd try checking/changing the brightness first (depends on whether you're using the app or web client as to how to do this - for the app, it's in the camera settings). Failing that, open the battery door, remove the batteries and leave it open, perhaps in an extra warm location to let it dry. I know you said you left it indoors for a day but if it wasn't as open as possible the drying out may have been slow.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Do you run SMART?

Arlo has lower rez on legacy cameras if not enrolled in same, may be related tho not sure

see; https://community.arlo.com/t5/Announcements/Video-Compression-Adjustment/td-p/1791350

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
TessG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick respons, I don't run SMART and when I read about it i'm not sure it would help? I should have mention that I have another camera outside (same generation) and that one is working perfectly fine, no foggy view whatsoever 🙂

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The resolution hasn't been changed - it was some sort of compression setting. That said, what you're seeing isn't resolution or compression-related, it appears to be either moisture in the camera or possibly a brightness setting since it affects the whole image. I'd try checking/changing the brightness first (depends on whether you're using the app or web client as to how to do this - for the app, it's in the camera settings). Failing that, open the battery door, remove the batteries and leave it open, perhaps in an extra warm location to let it dry. I know you said you left it indoors for a day but if it wasn't as open as possible the drying out may have been slow.

TessG
Aspirant
Aspirant

I let it rest near a radiator over the weekend and the view is clearly better, not as good as it used to be but I can tell a difference for sure. I will keep it indoors for 2 more days and that will most likely fix it (total 5-6 days indoors)
So thank you for you help, I didn't think it could take that many days for it to dry up so I was about to give up. Patience is the key here! 🙂