Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Excessive pixelation on videos? Had it since Oct 2020.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Michael2016
Aspirant
Aspirant

Anyone experiencing pixilation on their legacy camera?  I have had my system for many years and recently (Oct 2020) the cameras will detect motion and alarm but the video captured varies.  In one case the video lasts for two seconds of motion and then freezes.  Other videos will be pixelated or just show the bottom half of a person with only two seconds of video. (????)  Otherwise, there is a mixture of the previous video descriptions. 

This issue has been raised to a Level 2 condition being addressed by Arlo engineers.  I have performed numerous troubleshooting through Arlo direction along with providing video examples.  Up to date firmware was verified.  These activities with Arlo started in Nov, 2020 and continue today Jan 5, 2021.

After two months of testing, there still is no resolution from Arlo.

Thank you for sharing.   VMC3030, Arlo Wire-Free Camera system.

11 REPLIES 11
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you subscribed to Smart ?  if not, read below

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Announcements/Video-Compression-Adjustment-Update/td-p/1798965

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Michael2016
Aspirant
Aspirant

So you are trying to tell me that I should apply to a Smart Plan to assist in the poor quality of my videos associated with the Arlo Legacy wire free cameras?    From what I understand, the smart plans would not work with the Legacy wire free cameras.  At best the plan may be able to supply a 30 storage but otherwise those legacy cameras do not produce 2k or 4k quality.  On top of that, how exactly would a smart plan fix the pixilation issue?  I look forward to you  providing some insight to actually address my particular question.  Otherwise, your response was quite weak and appears to be nothing but an advertisement.  It is quite disheartening to find that Arlo would allow this type of response to a serious question.  Furthermore, I am requesting that Arlo management address your response.  No response from Arlo management will signify their complicity with your response and should give others quality insights to their lack of concern.

dcfox1
Master
Master

Did you read the link?. It was dated Oct 2020 and describes what you said started Oct 2020. Not sure why you got mad at him for trying to help. Also you can subscribe to smart on Legacy cameras. 

Michael2016
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you

What I find quite interesting is that Arlo Level 2 engineering cannot tell me this.  I have been jumping through hoops with their directed troubleshooting only to find out the quote from his message: 

One such update will be rolling out to original Arlo Wire-free cameras (model VMC3030) that are not connected to Arlo Smart.
Apparently Level 2 does not know this otherwise why would they be directing the extensive troubleshooting.  What a complete waste of time they have put me through! 
Again, thanks for your insights.
Michael2016
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tom Mac,

To further this discussion after reviewing a community notice from James C, Community Manager:  One cannot respond to James C in an open community discussion.  James C should be informed that his Level 2 technical staff have no idea why the pixalation is occurring.  It would be prudent to have James inform his Level 2 technical staff that this issue was caused by Arlo and to tell them to stop having people jump through troubleshooting hoops like changing Wifi channels, resetting, removing and reinstalling cameras and base unites, capturing videos and transmitting them to Arlo via customerservice@arlo.com .  The entire experience with the technical staff appears to be nothing but a distraction from a truth to hide the incompetence of the latest Arlo roll outs and the corruption of the legacy cameras.  The only appropriate course of action would be to have Arlo technical staff review all Case Numbers regarding troubleshooting of the pixalation and freezing of the legacy cameras and issue apologies for 1) Arlo not informing people with these issues have yet to be addressed by Arlo when these Case Numbers are initiated.  2) Apologize for the ruse in making people jump through these troubleshooting step that they knew would not help (if in fact the knew what was going on.)

Sbhsr
Initiate
Initiate

Same thing happening with our cameras   No info in community seems to be available

Michael2016
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry to hear.  As you can see from the above comments, I have gone through numerous troubleshooting tasks with Customer Support after initiating my first case number in November 2020.  As I told them, this first was noticed in October but I didn't have the time to address it then.    Sad to the lack of transparency Arlo sharing with the public in this forum as well as from their technical staff when working with them on case issues.

Michael2016
Aspirant
Aspirant

typo:  Sad to see the lack of transparency...

Michael2016
Aspirant
Aspirant

One other question

So you indicate that I can subscribe to Arlo Smart.  By subscribing to Arlo Smart, are you suggesting that I will be able to view the videos properly just because I subscribed?  If so, why would I have to subscribe for something I use to be able to do for no charge with the legacy camera system?   ....    Or will I just be able to view the same frozen and pixelated videos for 30 days?  I am quite interested in hearing from you regarding the above questions.
Michael2016
Aspirant
Aspirant

TomMac,

Do me a favor and say hi to James CROSS, Manager, for me.  I am guess you didn't forward the questions I had for James ... in reference to his comment on 10/30/2020....       One such update will be rolling out to original Arlo Wire-free cameras (model VMC3030) that are not connected to Arlo Smart.         It is interesting to observe that Arlo knew of this issue back in Oct of 2020 but technical staff was not reporting this to customers that were having these pixalation issues.  Technical staff indicate that they are quite occupied with calls on this issue. It is an extreme failure of this forum NOT to direct customers to a referenced article so that they might be informed when searching the forums.  Shameful.     

Sbhsr
Initiate
Initiate

Maybe if we keep complaining,  technical folks will fix the blessed problem.  Most likely an easy fix for Arlo, if they weren’t so occupied with leading users thru meaningless troubleshoots!