Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 38 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
mabttp
Guide
Guide

Hi, I'm trying to set up my cameras and the app goes to 'checking for firmware updates', then sits there for ages before returning a message that states 'firmware update failed' the server is taking too long to connect and 'try again' button'. It just locks me into this process and I cannot get any further. Help!

38 REPLIES 38
brh
Master
Master

@mabttp,

try power cycling your base and see if that doesn't correct the problem.

Brian

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Also , make sure the battery level is at least 75%

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
mabttp
Guide
Guide

Many thanks, but it's the app on my phone which is throwing up this message.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@mabttp wrote:

Many thanks, but it's the app on my phone which is throwing up this message.

so is it a problem or just the app?

Try it via the web to confirm if system or app.  https://arlo.netgear.com

If the app, uninstall and re install

Morse is faster than texting!
mabttp
Guide
Guide

I have no idea where the actual problem lies. All the lights are on correctly on the base station and I have synced all 3 cameras. When I first registered the app recognised the base station and locked me into this firmware scenario as highlighted above. I've rebooted the base station, my router and uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Now it doesn't even find the bases station either on the app or my laptop (although all the lights are on).

One of the reasons for investing such a huge sum in this system was because it claimed to be quick and simple - I've been trying to get this to work now for over 5 hours!!!!

mabttp
Guide
Guide

Also, I have started getting notifications on my phoen that there is movement on the camera, but no way of connecting to see it! Very very frustrating and on the verge of sending the whole thing back for a refund.

mabttp
Guide
Guide

Forget the note about notifications - they have stopped now too

Bob115
Tutor
Tutor
Base station firmware update fail. Tried everything suggested over the past 5 days to no avail. Reset station 3 times, nothing. Internet connection excellent. Doesn’t seem to be connecting with update sever,
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Bob115

Did you perform a factory reset or did you reboot the base station?

@mabttp

Have you tried to perform a factory reset and reinstall the base station & cameras?

Bob115
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, I reset the basestation, cycled the basestation and tried to add on the cameras again.  To no avail.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Bob115

What are the status LED lights displaying on the base station?

Bob115
Tutor
Tutor

Well, frustration is not a proper and complete word for what is going on.  I purchased a new base station.  Hooked it up and after at least 5 tries got all three lights green, sucess.  Well not quite.  Now I cannot get the base station to be 'claimed' by the phone app.  I have tried everything.  It's weird because it will sync with a camera but will not be claimed by the app.  Looking at nest cameras and hardware now.....I don't want too but something is wrong here.  I have never had this problem before.  The original set up was very easy.  After a failed update...nothing worked and that is when I bought a new base station.  All cameras are at 100% so that is not the problem.  

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Bob115

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It appears you used the wrong order to set things up. You have to claim the base FIRST. Remove anything in Settings, My Devices. Hold the reset button until the LEDs flash amber. Let it reboot and then claim the base first. Sync the cameras. Update firmware as you go if prompted.

artzr
Tutor
Tutor

Same situation... VMB3010r2 base station can't update to 1.12.2.1_2798.  I had this same update problem with another base station about 3 months ago and Arlo eneded up sending a replacement.  Very frustrating that without an option to skip an update, Arlo pretty much kills your device.

artzr
Tutor
Tutor

Duplicate message deleted.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

One thing that has worked for others recently is to choose to install a new camera even though you don't actually have one. That will cause the base to look for an update which seems to always work. Once updated, simply cancel the camera installation.

Bob115
Tutor
Tutor
It finally worked! Believe me, I did everything by the book at least 15 times and then I thought, what the hell, I’ll try something different! For some reason it worked! I couldn’t tell the exact steps I took. I did delete every item and then reinstalled the app and worked through it. So, it’s working for now.
artzr
Tutor
Tutor

Unfortunately, updating by adding a new camera didn't help: it tried and then said "Firmware update failed".

I also tried doing hard reset and adding the base station again, it still gets stuck updating firmware.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@artzr

Have you contacted support from the link above?

burtmat
Tutor
Tutor

I'm in the same boat, but I have no issue connecting the base or the cameras. One of the cameras will not update the firmware. camera 1 did it with no issues, camera 2 will not update. have removed/reset/ and re started everything. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@burtmat

Have you tried to remove the camera from Settings > My Devices > Reboot the base > Sync camera again?

burtmat
Tutor
Tutor
Yes I have. I’ve also factory reset the base with no luck.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@burtmat

I would have to suggest contacting support. I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support