Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
yelena
Guide
Guide

Hello,

We purchased the Arlo 2 camera system and here is our feedback:

1. In the videos on the website there are multiple mounting examples, however, in the box there is only the ball mounting unit.  

The others are not available and they suggest using generic universal mounting hardware when you call support.

2. No simultaneous user access.  If you are logged into the website and login with your smartphone it logs out the other

access, and vice versa.  This is by design according to support.

3. Friend registration - You and your Spouse what to have notifications.  Upon registration heres the message:

Your friend can view your camera for only 30 days under the basic plan.
    Upgrade Now to allow access beyond the 30 day period

Two people cannot receive notifications.

For us, I think these are the minimum requirements under the Basic Plan.  We don't want to be forced to upgrade to a monthly subscription plan.

Technology wise the product is great.  This is the first time we've seen a wireless camera with this type of battery life, yet to be proven though.  Qualify is excellent.  Can be used outdoors.  Seems to be water resistent, etc.

We know the product is New so we look forward to what happens in Version 2.0.  We will return the until that we purchased.

We are also looking at the VueZone.  I assume it will have similar issues.  we plan to use the Arlo for External and Vuezone for Internal monitoring.

At lease Netgear is moving in the right direction.

Regards,

13 REPLIES 13
rerick
Star
Star

I agree with you. This product doesn't seem to be ready for prime time. The single user access is a deal breaker. It is not a feature, it is a huge drawback to an otherwise nice product. I am planning to return the system.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

there has been a change in the plans re Shared usage, schedules... chk out

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Announcements/Thank-you-for-your-feedback-and-some-news-from-the-Ar...

short snip;

"

We’ve also been collecting lots of terrific feedback from everyone on these and other things, and have some exciting new changes to announce as a result:

• First, the Sharing/Friend feature will no longer be a Premium feature but will be included with Arlo’s Basic Service
  • Secondly, the Scheduler automation feature once offered only to Premium subscribers, will now be available to everyone as part of each Basic Service Plan."
--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
yelena
Guide
Guide

Hello,

You didn't mention anything about simultaneous user login.  My Dad was logged into the website and when my Mom logged into the smartphone is disconnects the other logged on users.  This is really a show stopper for them.

bye,

ays

ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired

Good morning Yelena,

The best way to accomplish more than one person logging into an account at the same time is to create/add a "Friend". Check out the following article that will provide more information on the steps to take to add a friend. This will allow both Mom and Dad to log into the account at the same time AND view the cameras simultaneously.

How Do I Add a Friend

Hope this helps!

Christine

Arlo Team

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY if you found this helpful.
Don_U
Star
Star

Your comments are completely valid and fair. I feel the same way about most of what you stated.

I think there could have been more disclosure about what comes with a basic system, features, etc.

However, as a savvy consumer I pretty much figured there would have to be some kind of subscription model beyond the basic system. There would have to be in order to support the ongoing cloud storage and improvements to software in the cameras & base station(s), and web features development. From a business standpoint, that is the only way Arlo is a sustainable model.

So with that in mind, although I absolutely agree that there are serious improvements to be made, But I also think that the entry level "BASIC" service is a fair value.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

ChristineT wrote:

Good morning Yelena,

The best way to accomplish more than one person logging into an account at the same time is to create/add a "Friend". Check out the following article that will provide more information on the steps to take to add a friend. This will allow both Mom and Dad to log into the account at the same time AND view the cameras simultaneously.

How Do I Add a Friend

Hope this helps!

Christine

Arlo Team

But we can't have full administrator access to friends? They have missing options compared to primary e-mail account holder. 😞

David_NG
Arlo Employee Retired

ant wrote:

But we can't have full administrator access to friends? They have missing options compared to primary e-mail account holder. 😞

Hello Ant,

You are correct. There are some options missing from the friends account when admin. Rights are given. This is mainly because we do not want the friends account to be able to become the admin or, give too much control to a friend account.  If I’m correct the only options that are not available to the friends account when given admin. Rights are the following.

• Cannot change admin. Personal info (user name and password of admin.)
  • Cannot create modes or adjust rules settings
  • Cannot upgrade plans or edit credit card info
  • Cannot add friends
  • Cannot select preferences ( management of video content )
  • Cannot select camera settings

If you think there should be some options that friends should have, let us know. Or better yet let our development team know by posting your idea in the Arlo idea exchange. I look forward to your suggestions.  

The Arlo Team

David S.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

David_NG wrote:

ant wrote:

Hello Ant,

You are correct. There are some options missing from the friends account when admin. Rights are given. This is mainly because we do not want the friends account to be able to become the admin or, give too much control to a friend account.  If I’m correct the only options that are not available to the friends account when given admin. Rights are the following.

• Cannot change admin. Personal info (user name and password of admin.)
  • Cannot create modes or adjust rules settings
  • Cannot upgrade plans or edit credit card info
  • Cannot add friends
  • Cannot select preferences ( management of video content )
  • Cannot select camera settings

If you think there should be some options that friends should have, let us know. Or better yet let our development team know by posting your idea in the Arlo idea exchange. I look forward to your suggestions.  

The Arlo Team

David S.

Thanks. Granted administrative rights is misleading and confusing then. Maybe say "limited administrative rights" or at least say that not all access options are available like in the primary account?

VJBlu
Initiate
Initiate

I want my wife to have the same rights as myself so there should be a setting for that. (I'm seeing that there is loads of people wanting this for thier significant other and or someone they completely trust )  Maybe have a co-Admin that has all the the rights as the acount owner, then friend could still be the same as it is now.

Don_U
Star
Star

Your wife can have the same management rights -- give her your login. 🙂

VJBlu
Initiate
Initiate

Smiley Very Happy She has it as I trust her completly but we both cannot be on at the same time. If we both get a notice (which is what I want) then one of us would kick the other one off (not what I want) if we both tried to log in. I would like to be able to monitor the system from work and her be able to check in on her house at anytime she desires without kicking me off my account.  It is not a big deal but we like so many others want someone else to be able to take care of the system without kicking the other one off of monitoring. So in the mean time she has her friend account and my account info, just inconveniant way of having to set up the account.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

VJBlu wrote:

She has it as I trust her completly but we both cannot be on at the same time. If we both get a notice (which is what I want) then one of us would kick the other one off (not what I want) if we both tried to log in.

Change to you settings are not as often done as two people viewing... If you both want to view at the same time, read this thread section below;

ML Wrote:

My question is how many ppl, with their own account, could view the cam at the same time. Some maybe using PC and others maybe using mobile.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good morning ML,

This is a bit of a tricky answer but I will try to be as clear as possible. You are allowed to have an unlimited number of "Friends" that have their own account. I have personally tested up to 5 friend accounts.

The Arlo system only supports streaming up to 4 cameras concurrently (at the same time) per base station. The good news is that means that the 5 friends logged in to their own respective accounts will be able to view the same 4 cameras that another friend maybe streaming without any conflicts.

Here comes the tricky part. Let's say friend # 2 tries to login and tries to stream 3 out of the 4 cameras the other friend is viewing and selects a different (5th) camera to view. The system will throw an error (shown below) that only four (4) cameras can streamed at one time (per base station).

Stream 4 cameras error.JPG

Depending on your specific situation, you may want to consider adding up to three base stations that can support streaming up to 12 cameras concurrently.

I hope this help to answer your question and provide a little more clarity.

Best Regards,

Christine

Arlo Team

Morse is faster than texting!
dudenukem
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased an Arlo vmc3030 wireless HD camera with base to install in my home, The camera seemed to work fine for a few days and the motion feature was able to record the activity at a normal pace and gave a clear picture.

After about 7 days, a relative of mine noticed the camera, and unknowingly removed the camera from the mount and proceeded to hide it. Once I noticed the camera was missing, I immediately checked the Arlo app for archived footage to see who removed it.  However, it DID NOT RECORD ANY motion of whoever took it.

I find it very strange that for 7 days straight this camera performed flawless, and at the moment I needed it to record the most, I HAVE NOTHING !!!!

I contacted NETGEAR SUPPORT and upon advising them the problem I had, they could only create a case number and offer to TROUBLESHOOT the camera...I advised that the camera was STOLEN!!!   How can you troubleshoot what you don't have !!!  

I find it incredible....Company creates camera, Camera SUPPOSED TO RECORD MOTION, Someone stole camera with no motion evidence recorded or archived... Now I'm simply out of $180 and NETGEAR can't do anything for me....   BEWARE OF THIS !!!!