Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Melsays
Follower
Follower

Would like to know whether the Arlo base can be wired to an Orbi satellite (RBS50), which has ethernet ports in it. The internet signal appears decent, based on repeated tests from Orbi app. Also, is there a way to mount the arlo base to a wall or a bracket of some kind?

Thanks,

10 REPLIES 10
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yep. The base station works fine attached to an RBS. Unfortunately, the base station is designed to sit on a shelf

epollux
Guide
Guide

@steve_t

Still can’t get to sync with that setup: Orbi Satellite. Camera refuse to sync.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

What lights are on on the base station? Sometimes Arlo cameras have issues with interference so if you can, move the Arlo base station as far away as the ethernet cable will allow and/or change the channel the 2.4GHz network is running on via your orbilogin

epollux
Guide
Guide
My base station is a VMB4000 (Arlo Pro) which interestingly is not in the drop down list for product selection on this forum.

I connected it to a Orbi Satelitte and ensured it’s unmanaged by Circle.

The Base Station did upgrade to the latest version (I sort have to guess this because there isn’t any information that it’s updating).

I place the Base Station as far a possible from the satellite.

Adding camera: I get the sync led on the base station and the camera to blink. So clearly the process is engaged. After multiple attempts the camera are still not “discovered”

I have tried with both cameras (not at the same time)

I have tried with the three methods documented by Arlo:
- the method recommended in the quick start guide
- the method on the Arlo App
- the method on the Arlo website.

Still nothing.

I’ll give it another try tonight.

Another issue: I had to use an alternative email address to register because for some reason it would work with an email alread used for another Netgear product. This really sucks.

So far I am really unimpressed by Arlo. For the price point I was expecting a flawless product.

Also: error messages on the app are instructed by the iPhone notch. Yet another problem.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

So we'll assume the base station has a green power LED, a green internet LED and a green blinking camera LED once you put it in sync mode.

The app should be able to tell you what version of firmware the base is on

I've only had the green blinking camera LED and blue slowly blinking camera LED once and it was when I was getting interference.

I guess the next diagnostic step is to take the Orbi out of the loop. Plug the base station into wherever the Orbi router plugs into and try to sync a camera again once the power and internet LEDs go green. This will tell you if the Orbi is somehow causing the issue

epollux
Guide
Guide
Thanks.

Unfortunately the Orbi router is my internet termination point. There is no other router I can use.

Base station is powered on, Connects to internet. (It could update itself). Sync blink is active for both the camera and the base station for 2-3 minutes until it stops trying.

Will give it another go. Failing this I’ll bite the bullet and drill a hole in my wall to get the electricity out and install a Netatmo !

epollux
Guide
Guide

Additionally, the way the Base Station is showing up on the portal is weird, see attached picture. It does look like are two of them. The one with the Red Signal does not have any further information and cannot be removed.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's the siren part of the base so you can rename it separately to help keep track of what alarm is being used.

epollux
Guide
Guide
Right. I had a live chat with support. Finally got this problem resolved.

In the end I had to disconnect the base station from the Orbi. Move it to another room and sync the camera there. This means that sync does not actually require an internet connection.

Once done. I moved the base station back to the Orbi room and reconnect it to Orbi via Ethernet.

All ok now.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Excellent. Sadly this confirms that it was an interference issue. I guess you could have just switched off the Orbi without moving the base but if it worked, it worked. Keep us posted in this thread if it all goes well or if you have other issues that could be interference based