Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Hometheatremave
Guide
Guide

As our weather turns cooler, dew is causing the lens to fog up at night, pretty severely obscuring the field of view. Anything that can be done other than building a housing around the camera?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Also, if you can place the camera under an overhang or fashion one over the camera in it's existing position, that man help. A quick wipe with something like Rain-X on the lens could help, too.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Hometheatremave wrote:

As our weather turns cooler, dew is causing the lens to fog up at night, pretty severely obscuring the field of view. Anything that can be done other than building a housing around the camera?

Bring in the camera for a while and remove batteries, try a 'warm' hair dryer ( not hot ) on the unit to see if you can evaporate the condensation.

If it doesn't work , an old cell phone trick was to put in uncooked rice in a jar over night and the dry rice will absorb the moisture.

As to preventing... it shouldn't happen, so I'd check the small rubber seal for the battery door ( where it closes ) and make sure it looks ok... and not twisted, loose. For my outside cameras I use a silicon grease on the seal ( silcon grease made for orings ) amount of a pea wiped around is all it takes to help seal.

Also maybe contact Netgear for a trouble ticket in case there is another problem where moisture is getting in.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Also, if you can place the camera under an overhang or fashion one over the camera in it's existing position, that man help. A quick wipe with something like Rain-X on the lens could help, too.

Hometheatremave
Guide
Guide

"Bring in the camera for a while and remove batteries, try a 'warm' hair dryer ( not hot ) on the unit to see if you can evaporate the condensation.

If it doesn't work , an old cell phone trick was to put in uncooked rice in a jar over night and the dry rice will absorb the moisture."

i I think you misunderstood. The condensation is on the outside of the lens, not inside.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

i I think you misunderstood. The condensation is on the outside of the lens, not inside.

Yes i did.... there was another user that had leakage internal and I thought it was the same

As mentioned, Rainex may help or similar

Morse is faster than texting!
njdg
Tutor
Tutor

Isn't fog on the lens, or any other surface only a temporary condition occuring at the dew point in air where the humidity and temperature cause condensation on those  surfaces?  So, unless the Tdew has past then intervention indoors will not help.  As far an application of a production to the lens surface I would recommend contacting support.