Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
jlaporta
Tutor
Tutor

I work on a college campus and one of the professors bought these cmaeras to monitor a lab.  After plugging in the home base I have tried to discover it in the app and through a laptop that was wired through the same switch with no luck.  I was wondering if anyone else has set these up on a larger scale network and if they have any advoce for settings I can check.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The app or browser are the only access methods. To go from there you need to log into the servers to set up an account and register the base. I haven't run into this but I'm guessing that something is being blocked, either the Netgear servers and/or port 443 (HTTPS). Are you able to click on the setup of a new system button and it just fails to find the base or what? I still suspect it's an IT issue. A possibility to work around this would be to take the base home or any other place that is a typical home-type network and try setting it up there.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

IT may have DHCP server settings that are preventing the base from getting an IP address. Are all 3 LEDs green on the base or is the Internet one amber? There may also be blocks to the Netgear servers set on the firewalls. Other folks have had similar issues on a company LAN.

HohoMarket
Aspirant
Aspirant
How do we go about the problem if this was the case?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You'd need to work with the university IT staff to verify that the base is getting an address as well as ports 80 and 443 being open to the Arlo servers (netgear.com). If they are blocking something, they're the ones that would have to unblock it.

jlaporta
Tutor
Tutor

We have all ports open and 2 of the LED lights are green.  The internet light stays green even if we unplug the ethernet cable though.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You need all 3 green. What's off or amber?

jlaporta
Tutor
Tutor

There is just a power light and a ethernet light that are both green.  The instructions say those are the only 2 that need to be one.  We can see that it is getting an ip address but when we try to connect through the app or through the webpage it doesnt see the device.  Is there any other way to try to connect to it besides the app or webpage?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The app or browser are the only access methods. To go from there you need to log into the servers to set up an account and register the base. I haven't run into this but I'm guessing that something is being blocked, either the Netgear servers and/or port 443 (HTTPS). Are you able to click on the setup of a new system button and it just fails to find the base or what? I still suspect it's an IT issue. A possibility to work around this would be to take the base home or any other place that is a typical home-type network and try setting it up there.

jlaporta
Tutor
Tutor

I am in IT and I am working closely with the network admin and he has assured me all ports are open.  We can select to set up the new device it just never finds the home base.  Taking it home is a good idea but if we set it up at home would it connect when we brought it back on campus? Wouldn't this issue just continue once we reconnected it to the campus network?

jlaporta
Tutor
Tutor

I took it home and registered it on my home network.  After bringing it back on campus I was able to see the cameras and connect on my phone and through the webpage.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You can definitely set up in one location and move in another. It's not tied to the network in any way.

You could try a factory reset to see if that helps.
chris-pdx
Aspirant
Aspirant

We're having the same issue at my work (school with business network setup). I'll try what you suggest here. Thanks!

Dwheeler
Aspirant
Aspirant

Phone or iPad is not discovering the device.  I have 3 green lights.  

Dwheeler
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do you do the factory reset.   Getting close to returning this

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Dwheeler wrote:

How do you do the factory reset.   Getting close to returning this

With the new version of software.... Use a paperclip and depress the 'reset' button on back of base for 5-10 sec till the front leds start to flash.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
mof
Aspirant
Aspirant

Getting the same problem. Tried reboot, reset etc. Waiting on help line for over an hour. Time to go to Nest.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mof,

What issue are you having? Please post details so that we can offer assistance.

JamesC