Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 48 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
The Geofencing Home Mode uses Disarm mode when it should use a Custom Mode.

1. Setup Geofencing with custom modes for both Home and Away.
2. Select Geofencing mode.
3. Select Disarm mode.
4. Select Geofencing mode.
5. Select Back so that you can see what Mode Geofencing is using.
6. Result - from that point Geofencing will show Disarm as the Home Mode and not the Custom Mode.

To fix it
1. set your home and away mode to disarm and arm.
2 Save.
3. Set home and away mode to custom modes.
4. Save.
48 REPLIES 48
wojciechz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Having the same issue, i have not found any fix for that and tbh its a huge problem for my security system. Saw that this has been brought to arlo attention as early as beggining of 2018.
And here we are a year later and no response 😕
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
I finally spoke with a support person a few weeks ago and they told me that they would try to reproduce the defect and get back to me. They have not Support for resolution of Arlo defects has always been poor and does not seem to have improved post Netgear.. From observation they can handle a simple RMA but not software defects.
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
@ShayneS Are you able to get an update ?

If you can't get an update on a defect after 8 months there is a problem with your support policy / process.

I recommend that you raise this with your management team. How can you be effective when you cannot get any support or communication from your support organisation ?
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
I disarmed Arlo today as I was working in the front garden. When I came in I saw that I had a multitude of battery wasting videos. The basestation showed disarmed. The mode screen showed geofencing. It looks like it is now treating Disarmed as Geofencing Home Mode which for me is Front Garden Cameras. Thus I have a multitude of videos I did not want and a dead battery.

Please call me if you need help with the logic. It looks like you are really struggling to understand how this should work.

@ShayneS Any update ?
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Still no update on this long standing product defect with Geofencing.

Arlo's programmers continue to confuse Arm/Disarm and Home/Away.

maxisk
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just noticed this on my system a couple weeks ago. We've been unprotected for months between 12am and 8am every day because of a software issue. The issue I got was when I set to geo-fencing mode, and use schedule in home mode, the cameras stop funcitoning everynight at 12am. I captured screenshots, videos, and logs. I'm pursuing a class action lawsuit against Netgear and if any of you have documented proof that you would like to share, please reach out.

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

A lawsuit may be the only way to get them to look at a defect. 

The support team are letting down what is a pretty good product.

This is a fundamental defect with a key feature and it has been open for 9 months.  It should not be this difficult to get attention from Arlo support.

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
@ShayneS. Just checking in to see if there has been any progress on this defect ?

I have heard nothing from Arlo support.
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
Does anyone in Arlo care about product defects ?

This is a fundamental defect with a key feature and we are unable to get any attention from Arlo support at all.

It is this approach to support that drives bad reviews which will impact sales.

"Great idea but support is so poor that I would recommend you look at the alternatives"

Fix your defects. Listen to your customers. Or expect negative reviews that drive your customers towards the alternatives.
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
I am fed up with the lack of support and communication.

I will post a couple of negative reviews daily until I start to see some progress on this defect.

I will tell the story of this defect and the some of the key product gaps that remain unresolved for years.
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

5 negative reviews posted on 3 sites. Two more sites tomorrow and everyday after that.

@JamesC, @ShayneS @JessicaP Is my frustration unjustified ?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @XJW

The issue has been endorsed to our Engineering department, we will provide you with an update as soon as possible.

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks @ShayneS, @JamesC.

While I wait I will continue to post negative reviews on every site I can find. I have posted 10 reviews on 8 sites so far.

From my experience of Arlo support in the past few years I have zero confidence that the issue will be resolved quickly or at all. And communication will be very poor or non existent.

Your support team is in need of training and a review of support policies / priorities / funding. They are damaging the brand of a good product.
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
Still nothing from support.

Engineering are confusing Arm/Disarm and Away/Home. The team should whiteboard the logic before they fix this one.

How can they make no progress in 9 months on a serious defect with a key advertised feature ?

There is something wrong with Arlo support / funding / priorities.

Or the support team is simply not very good and needs better management.
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
@DawnM, @ShayneS, @JamesC
It appears that the technologists at Arlo have all the priority churning out new products rather than fixing the existing products. But without the goodwill of existing customers you will not as easily find new ones. I have been posting my observations on many sites and what I noticed was that there are already many many bad reviews. Fix the defects and the product gaps for your existing customers and those reviews will be positive. Coach your support teams on effective communication and your customers will become advocates. No response just makes customers very angry.
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

How likely will it be that this defect will remain unresolved for more than a year ?

Still no response from support.

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS    I just posted another bad product review - poor support, no communication, glacial defect resolution........

It's not a good hobby but poor customer communication can make customers very unhappy.......

Arlo just don't appear to care at all......

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JamesC Can you get an update ? This defect has been open for many months with no update.  The lack of any support or communication is appalling.

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
Just had to update my Geofencing configuration again.

Config corrupted by the defect.

GEOFENCING is a key feature with an easily reproducible major defect.

And yet Arlo have not made any effort to fix it in 10 months.

Don't buy Arlo people.

Arlo ignore their customers, don't communicate, don't fix defects.

If Arlo get enough negative comments on tech and review sites then they may start to listen to their customers in this site.
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Still no progress on this major defect ...........

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
Support have sent me an update. They have isolated the defect and they have a fix in development that should be available within the next two weeks.

Oh wait. Sorry this is the Arlo forum.

Support have provided absolutely no communication and after 10 months there has been no progress at all to isolate or fix this major defect.
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
Ping. Still no update ........
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The development team is working on an app release that addresses several geofencing issues being reported by users. We hope to have that app update available soon.

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice
Is this defect going to be resolved ?

Approaching 12 months with no update beyond we are working on it maybe .........