Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

solidamber
Guide
Guide
Huawei p10 pro today I can no longer set a custom push notification tone in the Arlo app, the options are still there but it doesn't matter which tone I choose arlo only sounds the standard tone that is set in the android notifcation menu... It was working fine yesterday.. I have deleted and re installed the app with no improvement.
171 REPLIES 171
Dmakana
Aspirant
Aspirant

F1rebird
Tutor
Tutor

Because the App is broken and it must be a low priority issue to resolve since they apparently are too busy adding more aditional features that will probably break more things that will also become low priority issues to fix ... just my observations Smiley Frustrated

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you are using Android, the notification sound selection from the Arlo app seems inoperative. However after app update before the last tweak, on my S8+ the ability to change the sound through the phone has appeared (where it was not available before). Settings>Apps>Arlo>Notifications>Notifications>Sounds. This allowed me to change the notification sound.

Chad3756
Aspirant
Aspirant
No matter what sounds I select in the app for notifications it will only play the sound that I have selected for my text messages. It makes it possible to determine what's a text or a Arlo alert on S9 phone. How do I change this? It worked fine on my old note 3.
F1rebird
Tutor
Tutor

That work around/method dosen't seem to be an option with pixel 2 XL running Android 9

Would be nice to see the option in the App just work instead of trying to figure out alternative methods

Susquatch
Star
Star
I was told by Arlo support that it was impossible to roll back Arlo to a previous version. Other members here have proven otherwise.

However, I am very leery of rolling back Arlo using a version downloaded from a third party like APKMirror. In this day and age of malicious software, third parties are easily hacked and their contents infested.

So the real question here is simple. If it can be done, why can't Arlo do it? Come on Arlo, you caused this problem, please make a rollback available for those with problems like us!
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

On Android......... go back to an earlier version of the app where notifications sounds can be changed in the app. I still have an older version and can change notification sounds at will. (I never went for the "upgrade", knew better with Arlo devs track record. My older version of the app just works, no need to "upgrade")

Seahawks83
Initiate
Initiate

I have the Arlo Pro, Three Camera System purchased from Costco. I am using an Android, Samsung S8 phone. 

Since the Arlo update that came out around 11/20/18, the Arlo App is now not allowing me to select a different ringtone for my Arlo notifications. If I go into Arlo settings (3 dots in upper right corner of Arlo App), select settings, select notifications, select Notification Tone, I can select whatever ringtone I want for the Arlo notifications, however it doesn't actually change the notification sound. My phone still gives me the Arlo notifications with the same tone as all my other texts, alerts, etc.

I would like to have a different tone for my Arlo notifications. This worked just fine prior to the 11/20/18 Arlo app update. Any ideas?

JimKofWC
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also have the Arlo Pro and am experiencing the same issue.  Hoping someone knows how to correct this issue.

Seahawks83
Initiate
Initiate

I think I just figured it out! Go to your Settings App on your phone (not the Arlo App). Click on Notifications. Scroll down and touch the Arlo app. Touch Notifications on this screen. Go to where it says Sound. Change it to what you want. Make sure it matches what you have selected within the Arlo app itself. Once these two locations matched, it worked for me. Let me know if you have any questions.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Not being able to chnage the notifications sound directly in the app is a new bug introduced with last app updates. You can try the work around posted here or go back to an older android app where the notifications can be changed within the Arlo app again. I'm still on an older version of the app and can change sounds at will from within the app.

sdhengsoft
Aspirant
Aspirant
You can roll back easily of you keep backups of the apps you install. I typically keep the last four versions of all my apps. I do this manually using a file explorer, but there are plenty of apps that can do this for you.
arlo_user01
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm on Android 9 (pixel), sometime in the past few weeks an update to the Arlo app has caused the push notifications to use the default chime no matter what I set it to. I tried reinstalling, clear cache, etc.
Susquatch
Star
Star
Except for data, I have never kept backups of apps on Android. Google Play store looks after that for me. So.... I have no previous apps to restore. Therefore I am dead in the water.
solidamber
Guide
Guide
Look back a couple posts to
A link to old version or just Google arlo apk that's not a misspell it's apk
Susquatch
Star
Star
Yes, I saw that post and I replied to it. There is no way I will ever download anything that didn't come from the playstore. Way too risky for my blood. But thanks for jumping in. I probably should have mentioned that again in my last post. Hopefully Arlo will get a proper fix out soon.

In any event, I gave up and bought a sensor doorbell to meet my immediate needs. Dad has also continued to deteriorate so we acquired a hospital bed with side rails. He is too weak to crawl over them. My whole concern has gone away due to other events - no thanks to Arlo whatsoever.

That said, I do continue to monitor this thread - especially since I started it in the first place. And I will also continue to provide updates - if and when Arlo ever gets around to fixing the issue.
F1rebird
Tutor
Tutor

Latest release 12/6/18 did not fix notifications

Susquatch
Star
Star
Yup, didn't fix notifications, long delay, or app crashes. No idea why they even did it.
JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

same here on my S9+ Android.

That and often the alerts don't go off unless I at least hit the button to light up the phone. When phone screen is off, no alerts.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community. The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

Edinburgh_lad
Apprentice
Apprentice
In fact, the latest Android update doesn't solve any notification sound issues. I had to uninstall the app and put it back on again, and no matter what ringtone I use, it's the same dafault one.
JJS68
Luminary
Luminary

just adding to thread that I have same issue, I get a notification, it's just not the sound I picked, it's the default sound of the phone

Mike09
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,
I've had my arlo cameras for a while now. I like the cameras and really like the visualupdatese however with the most recent update I can not change the sound setting. By that I mean that no matter what sound I choose, even silent, i still get a default sound notification. It's kind of annoying when I'm home working in the yard and my phone is chiming all day long. Any suggestions before I switch over to nest cam?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's a bug taht I'm sure will be fixed. However, why not turn the camera(s) off or use the Disarmed mode to eliminate all of the extra recordings and notifications?

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

If on android......... install an older version of the arlo app and you'll be able to change your sounds like your supposed to. Otherwise have to wait until the bug is fixed. iPhone users must wait as well.