Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

solidamber
Guide
Guide
Huawei p10 pro today I can no longer set a custom push notification tone in the Arlo app, the options are still there but it doesn't matter which tone I choose arlo only sounds the standard tone that is set in the android notifcation menu... It was working fine yesterday.. I have deleted and re installed the app with no improvement.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi everyone,

As JJS68, there is a new Arlo Android app update that released recently. Make sure to install the latest version, which is 2.7.2.

If your phone is running Android OS version 8.0 or 9.0, the Arlo app notification preferences are now managed in the Android system settings menu.

Thanks again for waiting patiently regarding this 🙂

View solution in original post

171 REPLIES 171
Susquatch
Star
Star
Latest update for Android (yesterday) reset notification sound to the system default. Won't allow changes anymore. Can't discern Arlo from a million other notifications. Temporarily using one of my Arlos to monitor my dad who has Pancreatic Cancer. Need a fix ASAP.
Wynne
Guide
Guide
I'm having the same issue. Normally ignore the default notification sound, so this is more than just an annoyance. Changed the sound after burglars came to my front door when I was watching a movie and my neighbor called me to let me know that they were trying to get in. Please fix ASAP.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you check Settings, Notifications (not Smart notifications)? Can you set your sound again?

Might be worth reinstallin the app and rebooting the phone.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

I did check all the above including clearing my catch and still the sound resorts to the default sound in Android settings.

Susquatch
Star
Star
All I really want is for Arlo to fix their update.
Susquatch
Star
Star
How do we get a note to Arlo support? Surely they want to know that their update is broken.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

Agreed and if you uninstall the app you're going to start to get multiple notifications again like there was a problem before, because I already tried it and it doesn't fix the sound problem

dfjkl
Apprentice
Apprentice
Latest app update has now broken notification sounds. I had a custom sound chosen, it still says it is, app still insists on using the system default even after rechoosing and saving it
Wynne
Guide
Guide
I hope your dad gets better. Good luck.
DeniB
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same problem.

Notificatonsound can not be changed.

Also, the notifications now are coming very late. 30 seconds after detection of movment.. Should be fixed asap. I bought those expensive cameras because I wanted quality and reliability..

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

@Johnny290 wrote:

Agreed and if you uninstall the app you're going to start to get multiple notifications again like there was a problem before, because I already tried it and it doesn't fix the sound problem

Ignore the app settings. Go to the system apps list, select Arlo and look for the notification settings there. You can change it to a dierent tone from there. 

And the multiple notifications already started right after the update. I didn't een had to uninstall  and reinstall it. Every update more crap gets broken. The stupidity in this company is INSANE!

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Good call on the system apps settings that works on my Samsung S8 I'm able to change it but I'm not able to change it on my tablet it just stays as default sound. Also the indicator light on the phone the notification light no longer blinks when you get an arlo trigger
Susquatch
Star
Star
That's not going to happen. But he is 94 and has a great attitude. We are blessed to have him with us.
Susquatch
Star
Star
Doesn't work on my S9. Still getting the wrong sound. Also getting failure messages now. "Arlo App has stopped working".

How about rolling back to previous version till they get it working properly? Is that possible?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Susquatch wrote:
How do we get a note to Arlo support? Surely they want to know that their update is broken.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Everyone should be doing it. Complaining here only goes so far.

Dave32B
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had same issue.  Suddenly was getting audio notificastions that I had all turned off.  The new app apparently just turns them all one.   Quality to control at Arlo is severly lacking.

ianinaus
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you - I just took your advice and complained at the link you gave 🙂

Susquatch
Star
Star
Thank you! I will follow the link to do just that!
Last night I got ZERO notifications and 10 arlo app failures. The whole reason for putting the Arlo in my dad's room is to make sure he cannot get up out of bed without me knowing. He has fallen once too many times wandering around in the dark. Thankfully, he has not hurt himself yet.

If this can't get fixed fast, then I'm going to go buy something else. I just can't tolerate the current situation.

Quick question - is there a way to roll back the app update? The old version worked just fine!
ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

@Susquatch wrote:
Doesn't work on my S9. Still getting the wrong sound. Also getting failure messages now. "Arlo App has stopped working".

How about rolling back to previous version till they get it working properly? Is that possible?

Weird. This worked on my LG G6 and my Wife's S7.

Susquatch
Star
Star
Followed the link and phoned them.

They acknowledged that the notification issue exists and are working on a fix.

Didn't know about App stopping. My phone says it stopped 10x last night and is using excessive battery. They added that to their work list.

Said they would get back to me by phone or email.

I simply can't wait more than I already have. I think I'll go get a motion sensor doorbell or something similar.
Emyr
Guide
Guide

Since the Firmware update dated 11/20/18 (V.2.6.3_23000).

Regardless of which Notification Tone (Ringtone) is selceted in Device Settings, the is the Default Sound. That is, I am unable to change the notification sound.

Any ideas?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I can confirm. Have you opened a case here to raise awareness?

Emyr
Guide
Guide

I was hoping for a fix. Either in the next firmware rev or a patch. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's what the case would help bring about.