Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Tuthpik
Aspirant
Aspirant
Every couple of days or so when I check the app on my phone (Android Marshmallow), it says that my cameras are offline. Through the app I restart the base station and after the reboot everything works well again for a couple of days and then the same thing. I don't understand why they would go offline and then reconnect after a reboot of the base. Nothing has changed in my configuration or location of the base station in months and all of the cameras are within 300 feet, etc. Has anyone else been having this issue?

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Does the same thing happen when using a browser? I suspect that it's just a display issue that really doesn't need the base to be restarted. A couple of things to try with the app would be to try both WiFi and cell service and reinstall the app. Alternatively logging out and back in when the app does this may help.

Traciyoshi
Tutor
Tutor
Mine does the same thing so frustrating I have done everything that was suggested and I still have issues
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tuthpik, Traciyoshi

If you log out and log back in as jguerdat suggested above does that resolve the issue? Or do you have to restart the base station every time in order to clear the error?

JamesC

Tuthpik
Aspirant
Aspirant
JamesC

I have to restart the base station every time. And then 1-2 days later it happens all over again. I will admit I have not tried logging out and back in, but what would that have to do with being offline. I was at home yesterday when it happened and the actual basestation had no camera led on until after I reset. I even deactivated and reactivated both cameras with the base station. They both worked exceptionally until a little earlier this year, like the last couple of months. Was there a new software upgrade in the last few months?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tuthpik,

If the camera LED on the base station was unlit, this means the camera did in fact lose connection with the base station and go offline. It sounds like there could be an issue with the location of the camera (interference or range related). How far is this camera from the base station? Are there any obstructions (walls, etc) between it and the base? Are there any other nearby wireless devices?

JamesC

Tuthpik
Aspirant
Aspirant
That seems a little weird. They have been in the same position the entire time I've owned them. The base station is less than the quoted 300ft range in the documentation. Obstructions? Hmm, so I'm supposed to have the base station right next to the camera? Not trying to sound jerky, but of course there are walls between the base station and the cameras. This problem has only been happening over the last couple of months, no other wireless devices nearby except the router which I can't get much farther from. Any other suggestions?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

WiFi signals quote a maximum range which will be free air with no obstructions or interference.  300 feet is an absolutely best case scenario - real life, especially if you're not on a ranch in the wilderness with nothing around, is probably limited to less than 100 feet, perhaps even hugely less.  Walls, wiring, ductwork, other 2.4GHz wireless devices, etc. all gets in there to reduce the useful range.

It could be an unlucky happenstance that something small has changed (the base station got bumped or rotated?) to cause the issue.  Yes, the fact thaty've all been in the same position for months is a clue that things should be working as before but firmware updates, battery levels and who knows what else can have an effect.  I'm not saying that they did but it's a possibility.

It sounds like you may be pushing the distance envelope for your camera connections.  What are the approximate distances and what obstructions that you can determine may be present? A clearer picture of your exact scenario would be useful for long-distance troubleshooting.

Tuthpik
Aspirant
Aspirant
I don't think I'm pushing any envelopes. The distance is exactly the same as has been for months and this is all within the last several weeks. It's annoying. I've changed the batteries in one camera 3 times in the last month alone. Not happy with this at all. You've got to come up with better advice than 'You're doing it wrong', cause I'm just not. If it's not software then it's hardware and that stinks too.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tuthpik,

If you're still having these issues after trying the troubleshooting offered above, consider contacting the Arlo Support Team for further investigation.

JamesC

woseyjales
Luminary
Luminary

JamesC wrote:

Tuthpik,

If you're still having these issues after trying the troubleshooting offered above, consider contacting the Arlo Support Team for further investigation.

JamesC

James, I don't know why Netgear doesn't put a sticky up on how I troubleshot my system??? You and Netgear all know the issues I've had and how I went about figuring it all out, on my own!!!

I'd say 80% of Arlo's issues are all wifi related, with the other 20% being incomplete and untested updates pushed through, with no notice.

I don't come here as much as I used to, because for the most part, I've figured out my personal Arlo system and what to do when issues arise and I still have occasional issues.

What really needs to be done from Arlo's end is to boost the signal transmit and receive strength to the maximum allowed, or if your already at that point, Netgear needs to improve the antenna on the base station, because most of the new user day to day problems are all wifi and you can tell, just by visiting the forum occasionally.

Until then, anybody reading and interested in this, can look up all my posts under my user name and find easily how I troubleshot my system. It's all there, all my personal trials and tribulations with my Arlo system.

Arlo's not perfect yet, but it's a pretty good system, once you get it set up in the correct spot,