Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Cannot add VMB4000

Discussion stats
Loopie
Aspirant
Aspirant

New VMB4000 base station. When I try to add it in the app or using the web, nothing shows up after the search. The lights on the base station are as follows:

Power - solid green

Internet - solid green

Camera(s) - solid amber

I think it may be bad. The camera light shouldn't be solid amber with no cameras added, should it? Any ideas?

Lou

91 REPLIES 91
BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Loopie Can you Dm me the serial number of the Base station?

Nanoviolet
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi and thanks for the answer. I've tried 3 times to reset base station but that alao won't help. 

My router only supports 5 ghz wifi, i'm not sure if that makes it impssible to connect. I have send message to my ISP if there is possibility to change to 2,4 ghz, but didn't get the answer yet. I hope that i don't need to buy new router because if that won't help, it's money wasted.

Loopie
Aspirant
Aspirant

S/N sent.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for providing that information. We are aware of the behavior you are seeing and our development team is currently looking into this. I will reach out to the community as soon as possible. 

Loopie
Aspirant
Aspirant

BTW, I was able to add a VMB3500. I just can't add the VMB4000.

jeff_fee
Tutor
Tutor

@Dannybear

i connected some cameras to base station successfully but when searching for base station via app it not discoverable 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@jeff_fee 

Are you able to provide some historical information for the vmb4000 you are trying to add.

I know that arlo locks them to an account to prevent them from being used. That is why you need to remove it from your account before a factory reset.

Loopie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Brand new

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@Loopie 

If your vmb4000 Base was purchased previously you maybe able to exchange it.

There does seem to be some indication that the arlo backend has issues that prevents them from being able to be add to an account. Let’s hope that arlo can resolve it quickly.

jeff_fee
Tutor
Tutor

Both of them I have been advised by support that they have been removed off my account. They initial

one was removed and the other one was Brand new.

I went out and bought a VMB4540 and it worked straight away. 
as 3 weeks without cameras and paying a subscription and no time frame as to when Arlo if they could every fix the issue was unacceptable.

jeff_fee
Tutor
Tutor

@Loopie  

I have had no camera’s for 3 weeks  and was paying a subscription for nothing so I went out and bought the vmb4540 and straight away it connected.

i have no faith in Arlo getting the  vmb4000 up and running again. 

scarpwi
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an older Arlo hub made by Netgear and four of the old Arlo Pro 2 NetGear cameras powered by rechargeable batteries.  Have worked great for a few years.  I do NOT have a subscription but just use the 7 day library which rolls off and that is fine.

One day, I wake up and the three battery powered cameras do NOT appear in the library, only the powered one.  They all had better than 75% battery.

I tried resetting the hub (power cycle per Arlo articles) and I tried power cycling camera by removing the battery for a full minute and reinstalling.  They remained not connected.  I confirmed the firmware on my hub is up to date.

Next I tried REMOVING one of the cameras and attempted to resync it following the instructions on the website and app,  Press sync button on the top of the hub, flashing light, press sync on top of the camera and noticed a bunch of handshake type blinking but never got the blue light flashing for 10 seconds.  On the website I tried pressing the link that says "what if you don't see the blue lights" but nothing happened.  (My up to date Chrome browser does support javascript).  So I am at a loss as to what changed all of a sudden one day to drop only the battery cameras.  The powered camera works as it always has.  There was not power outage at my house.  Any thoughts?  Final point:  I did NOT upgrade to the new look for the app.  Sounds confusing to me and doesn't add any features I want.   Thanks in advance. - Steve

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Can you live view the problem cameras and make a manual recording that shows up in the library?

scarpwi
Aspirant
Aspirant

No.  The "devices" screen says "Your Arlo device appears offline".  That is what I get but only on all of the battery cameras not the plugged in camera.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried removing one of the problem cameras and then adding it back to your account?

scarpwi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, good question.  I did remove one and tried to add it back without success.  Never got the blue blinking confirmation though I did see lots of flashing lights back & forth on the hub as if it was trying to pair up.

Resquivel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not able to add hub with Arlo secure app. "Your Base Station could not be discovered" The router sees the hub and Link light is green. Cameras will not sync either to HUB.

Any suggestions? Thank you

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Resquivel wrote:

Not able to add hub with Arlo secure app. 

Some other users have recently posted this issue with the VMB4000.

I guess you could try my.arlo.com (using a PC, not the phone) and see if that works.

Resquivel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

Thank you for responding. I tried other devices but unfortunately I get the same error. Finally got a hold of a tech support tech and they told it is an issue that engineering is aware of. 

scarpwi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any other suggestions?  Pretty  much down to one, powered, camera and the rest which worked fine now don't connect at all.  I suspect it is an Arlo problem with their new app or End user interface (which I do not care for and don't want to upgrade to).  I wonder if I have to upgrade in order to use my cameras again.  Any thoughts at all?  Thanks all!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@scarpwi wrote:

I suspect it is an Arlo problem 

Several users have reported that they cannot add VMB4000 bases to their account.  I don't know if that affects everyone, or just some users.

What model hub do you have (look for a VMBxxxx label).  It would also be useful to know what cameras.  If they have the 4 CR123 batteries, then they are the original Arlo Wirefree models.  If they use square lithium batteries, you can open the housing and remove the battery on one, and check the label inside.

scarpwi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.  My hub is VMB4000.  My  battery cameras are Arlo Pro 2 after I removed the square white Arlo A-18 battery.  Three of my cameras all failed to connect but the one that is powered from a wall outlet still works.  So this is an Arlo problem it seems.  Not sure how to report it to them directly.  Thanks again for any  suggestions or insight you might have. - Steve

Deeshash
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there, 

I purchased this brand new in 2018. I had tried to get it setup but was unsuccessful. I sent off a ticket in 2018 and was told to send it back. I've just moved house and decided to try it again but have seen that the company has changed since my original purchase. I've read all similar complaints and would really appreciate some assistance with this. Thank you! 

1000084317.png

1000084338.jpg

1000084337.jpg

scarpwi
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the VMB4000 with 4 cameras (1 powered and 3 on rechargeable batteries - Arlo Pro 2.  Everything was fine until a couple weeks ago and poof.  The three battery cameras are offline and no amount of resetting or delete/re-add can get them back.  This happened all at once over night.  Something it seems is wrong at Arlo.  Indications are that you are aware of an issue.  My serial number for the VMB4000 is:  4R057C76ADE88

If there is any way to alert us to a resolution and/or repair sequence, I would be most grateful.  I really like this whole platform but only if it works so am anxious to be connected again.  Thanks very much.   Steve 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The LEDs on the base indicate that the base hasn't been claimed into your account. What have you tried to do so? The base is connected to the servers as evidenced by the green Internet LED. You have to be on the same network (WiFi, not cell service) without a VPN to be able to claim the base. 

You can also try to reset the base by holding a the reset button next to the power switch for >10 seconds, until the LEDs flash amber. Once the LEDs settle down to what you see now (green for power and Internet, amber for Camera, ~2 minutes) try claiming the base again.