Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
Kops
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi everyone,

With the latest app update I am able to create motion zones but I can't select/enable them.

Any ideas?
25 REPLIES 25
whtzom6
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same here. Is this a bug???
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @Kops and @whtzom6,

Are you experiencing this issue on the app or web version?

whtzom6
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm experiencing this problem when using the app on my Android mobile phone.
Kops
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey Jessica,

Also using Android mobile app V2.6.0-22600. I checked on the web version but it doesn't seem to have the zones options.

Thanks for your response
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You are referring to Smart zones, right? Those are the only zones you can get with the original wireless cameras. I was just able to use a browser (Chrome) to create a zone with no issue. The zone is then applied automatically - no way to select use or not without deleting/creating the zone in Settings.

Moser
Aspirant
Aspirant

Im having an issues also. Its under Mode > Pencil of mode id like to edit > Pencil of camera id like to edit > Pencil next to "Detects Motion" > Motion Detection Zones.

Default is "Everwhere" selected, I can create a zone and name it, but cant change color or select the zone after creation. Zone "Everywhere" cant be unchecked.

whtzom6
Aspirant
Aspirant
@jguerdat

Not exactly sure what "Smartzones" are, but what I'm referring to is the new ability I have to create motion detection zones for any of my cameras when I edit Armed status.

It's the exact same issue as @Moser describes in their post.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are we all talking about the original wireless cameras or the newer Pro ones? That would make a difference along with whether the camera has AC power.

Smart bzones are the ones provided by having a subscription that includes Arlo Smart. You can define a zone in Settings, My Devices, your camera, Video Settings on any Arlo camera, whether battery or AC powered. Regular motion detection zones require Pro 2 cameras on AC power or a Q camera.

Kops
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm using the original Arlo.  Not Arlo Pro... Not Arlo 2. 

Also talking about "Motion Detecion Zones".  I don't see anything referring to "Smart Zones".  

If you look at the screenshot below, this is what I'm talking about.  Like @Moser said .. Its under Mode > Pencil of mode id like to edit > Pencil of camera id like to edit > Pencil next to "Detects Motion" > Motion Detection Zones.  I can create "Zone 1" which excludes some bushes/trees that always trigger my camera...but I can't enable Zone 1 or disable Everywhere.  

Screenshot_20181024-155806_Arlo.jpg

Is there any Arlo documentation that states the Motion Detection Zones only work for Arlo Pro?  Seems kind of odd that the feature is shown in my app... I can actually go as far as to create the zone by highlighting an area of the screen....but it won't let me enable?

whtzom6
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have Arlo Pro (not Pro2) cameras running on battery but I didn't purchase the additional Arlo Smart service offering so maybe that's why I am seeing this odd behavior.

If this is the case, then I am very disappointed in how they coded this application. When I see that a mobile app on my phone has updated to a new version via the Play Store and I go into it and see there's a new feature available, then I expect to be able to use that feature. If I can't use it because I haven't configured it yet or haven't subscribed to a service or whatever then there should be a message that appears indicating as such. Very disappointed!
Oem3409
Tutor
Tutor
Upon initial setup of my activity zone on my arlo pro2 hd, a pic was taken. I hung my camera, and now can't change the photo to apply the new zones
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey everyone,

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

Kops
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for passing this up to the dev team. Much appreciated, hope they are able to find a resolution!

EpicSC
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Just installed Arlo Pro system.  Setup Activity Zones but unable to select those zones in the Motion Settings screen  Its stuck on the 'everywhere' zone and I can change it. I have the Arlo Smart premier subscription and am running these on battery only.  What do I need to do to activate the new motion detection zones?

Firmware: 1.092

Stuck on 'Everywhere' zoneStuck on 'Everywhere' zone

Formergr
Star
Star
Any update? I have this issue too on my Arlo app on Android.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

AC power. Those zones are only active when external power is applied.

destructiver
Initiate
Initiate

Looks like this still isnt fixed.

Just to be clear so that nobody tries to confuse this again, this is NOT the same as the Smart Zones or Arlo Smart. This is specifcally called "Motion Detection Zones" and is a setting that has very recently been added to the Arlo app for Arlo Wire Free.

I look forward to them getting this working because I'm grateful for this feature and was pleased when i noticed it today, but then quickly disappointed when it let me create the zones, but not turn them on 😞

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

With Arlo Smart, cameras no longer need to be plugged in to use activity zones.........

I don't have arlo smart so not sure why the OP can't get it to setup correctly, but it should work on battery power according to info from arlo website.

Cloud Activity Zones*

Use the handy Arlo App to customize your battery-powered camera’s view to detect motion—or ignore it—in the areas you choose. Now, you don’t need a plug-in camera to take advantage of one of Arlo’s most useful and popular features.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You're right - Smart works on battery-powered cameras. Without Smart, zones can only be implemented with power. I also realize now that this is a Pro camera, not a P2. Zones (not Smart) will only work on a P2 that's AC-powered since those cameras have both PIR and pixel detection capabilities needed for the use of zones.

destructiver
Initiate
Initiate
Further to my previous message. Netgear have released an update to the app, and now the Motion Detection Zones option is no longer there anymore. Clearly they accidentally added it in for the standard Arlo wire free camera.
Mobalized
Tutor
Tutor

I have a Pro 2 and this feature is not present all together. Really frustrating. I want to use one zone of the viewing area to trigger another camera in the system. I also want to record certain zones in certain modes, and not others. I hope this is resolved.

Puritan9
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also have a problem with the activity zones.  The app is telling me I need to plug into electricity to have it work, although I already paid for a year to have  Arlo do it with battery cameras.    I have seven Arlo Pro 2 cameras, and they are ALL telling me this.  Recently I bought three Arlo Pro, and they are working just fine, and I can set up activity zones.  For me it seems to be Arlo Pro 2 vs Arlo Pro.

Kops
Aspirant
Aspirant
The feature was completely removed from my app for the basic wire free camera a while ago. Bummer.

I had thought about buying a Pro2 to add to my existing setup (which I researched and found was supported) and wonder if the motion zones will be available to that camera?
Nguilbert
Aspirant
Aspirant
I can create motion zones, but my app (Android) says I can choose to ignore the zone or be notified. But I don't know where to make the option. I get notifications regardless.