Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Vikash
Guide
Guide
I used 3 of the camera s now for 3 weeks with no problem. Now they are going offline. After re syncing en resetting the base station now for several times the problem stil excists. Sometimes one or two seem to go online again but the streaming does not work and they go offline again. Can someone help me solve this problem? Thank you.
68 REPLIES 68
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
pnickel
Apprentice
Apprentice

FYI when you Wikipedia AP you get advanced placement.  Im very familiar with what a wireless access point is..   The contributor used the term AP..since many of the folks here are new to wireless accessories...it might be advantageous to define terms if they are going to abbreviate them in order to avoid further confusion and stay on topic..it's nice to sound smart but we're here to help or so I thought..

Keyrain
Guide
Guide
After I updated the app, it keeps showing "your Arlo system appears offline" then would clear up and goes offline again.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Keyrain,

What is the behavior of the internet LED on the base station when you see this error message? Do you see this error on the web browser as well? What device/OS version are you using that is producing the error message?

JamesC

Keyrain
Guide
Guide
I see the wifi signal on my iphone6. I've also tried turning off the wifi but it was doing the same problem.
There's no problem checking it from the laptop. This issue started when the app was updated.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Keyrain,

What is the iOS version on your phone? Are you running any kind of security apps on the phone?

JamesC

jrlewis82
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo system has been working great until today.  The system has been coming online and offline a lot.  Performed a power cycle on the base station with no luck.  Any suggestions?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is this only on just the app or browser - have you tried the other? Are videos being recorded?

Jaysiuol
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having this issue also ..... how do you "reboot " is that unplugging everything and reconnecting?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use the power switch?  Unplugging does the same thing.

EC68
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just purchased the 4 camera unit and I'm having the same problem. I always have to reset the base to get them online. Is this going to be common occurrence?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not a common occurance but happens from time to time.  First, when having an issue, what are the LEDs on the base showing?  Should be the left 3 on and green.

EC68
Aspirant
Aspirant
When it happens it's only the first two that are green, the third is off.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That means all the cameras have disconnected which could be communication issues between them and the base (distance and/or interference) or perhaps a bad base.  Contact support using the Support link at the top here.

Sarahsmile
Tutor
Tutor
Honestly it seems like way too many ...could be, might be, possibly...blah blah blahs ...it's kind of scary to know that every time it goes offline a different step may have to be tried in order to get it back to normal & then for it to eventually go offine AGAIN...sees as though batteries are a major "CON" with the camera...I know from experience and probably wouldn't have purchased it if I'd know how quickly they can be used up. And now THIS OFFLINE issue because of internet or other devices nearby possibly being an issue....I have a smart tv,with a game consol close by and the router and modem in the same room, so are you telling me I cant/shouldn't use my cell phone, ipad or laptop in the living room where my Netgear base is and all my other devices are??? I have the70 inch TV on a table, Xbox and connect in front of tv, one on each side. The modem and router are to the right,same side as the connect, about 4 feet off the floor and then the netgear base is above the 70 inch tv,up on a shelf and the camera usually hangs on the wall above the modem and router and furthest tight of all the devices...I hope I've explained clearly..this is frustrating and sometimes I feel like someone might be making it go offline, bc we have had a couple break-ins around the area in the past couple months....is that even possible? Thanks for your time!
Sarahsmile
Tutor
Tutor
*seems not sees
*right not tight
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No one is saying you can't use other WiFi or wireless devices with Arlo - I have 12 WiFi devices in use right now with no issues.  That doesn't mean that placement isn't a possibility or that you happen to have some bad hardware.  One thing to try, if possible, would be to move the base to another centrally-located room so that WiFi interference is minimized.  You can do this inexpensively using a long Ethernet cable temporarily or, more expensive, a WiFi extender with an Ethernet port.

You can also use some like HeatMapper (http://www.ekahau.com/wifidesign/ekahau-heatmapper) to map out signals and strength in your house if you're technically inclined.  It can be illuminating to see how signals map out around your house.

Arlo creates its own WiFi network which may well interfere with, or be interfered by, other networks.  Sometimes a bit of trial and error is in order - one size doesn't fit all.

And then there's the possibility that it's just a bad base which only contacting support using the Support link above may bring to a resolution.

Tagtekin
Aspirant
Aspirant
My camera does the same thing. It's not the internet connection or the batteries. It just sometimes - frequently - decides to go offline. Very frustrating.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tagtekin,

There could be an interference issue causing the camera to drop. Consider (temporarily) relocating the base station/camera so that they are closer together to see if you get the same behavior.

JamesC