Discussion stats
  • 39 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
lennert1984
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

I downloaded the firmware update yesterday for my Nighthawk R7000 which allows me to use the Arlo camera's with my router.

I've followed the instructions, added the router as base station and i'm trying to add the camera using WPS.
However, the Blue led on the camera keeps blinking. It doens't synch at all.

Tried to reset the router, I've tried synching the camera again.
Nothing works...

39 REPLIES 39
JimmieGIjoE
Aspirant
Aspirant
My configuration is identical to before aside from replacing my Arlo base station with the R7000. Time to go back to last known good config with my tried and true Arlo base station. Maybe I'll try this again in a few firmware revs.
Okone1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have spent over 6 hours on phone support trying to get the R7000 router working as a base station. No luck. We even started from scratch and set everything up and it worked briefly, then went out. Then, I came here and saw the post about the usb hard drive.  That was it!!  The cameras went offline after we (support and I) had them up.  I hadn't made any changes to the configuration and I was getting frustrated. 6 hours on the phone is brutal, even though it was over two days.  However, the tech support people were very helpful and polite. When I read the post about the USB drive, I rebooted the router, unplugged the USB HD and the cameras came right back online.  I hope netgear is seeing this.  The r7000 does not work as a base station when a USB Hard drive is connected to the router.  I am sure the technical support people can back me up on trying everything.  If anyone comes up with a fix to use a USB hard drive with the r7000 as a base station, I would love to know. I use the USB hard drive a lot, so I will have to go back to the old base station. I'll probably wait a couple of days just to see how it works, but I need my USB hard drive. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Okone1 wrote:

I have spent over 6 hours on phone support trying to get the R7000 router working as a base station. No luck. We even started from scratch and set everything up and it worked briefly, then went out. Then, I came here and saw the post about the usb hard drive.  That was it!!  The cameras went offline after we (support and I) had them up.  I hadn't made any changes to the configuration and I was getting frustrated. 6 hours on the phone is brutal, even though it was over two days.  However, the tech support people were very helpful and polite. When I read the post about the USB drive, I rebooted the router, unplugged the USB HD and the cameras came right back online.  I hope netgear is seeing this.  The r7000 does not work as a base station when a USB Hard drive is connected to the router.  I am sure the technical support people can back me up on trying everything.  If anyone comes up with a fix to use a USB hard drive with the r7000 as a base station, I would love to know. I use the USB hard drive a lot, so I will have to go back to the old base station. I'll probably wait a couple of days just to see how it works, but I need my USB hard drive. 

You really need to address this in the R7000 forums and tech support.  The Arlo wireless cameras really don't have anything to do with having a USB drive plugged in.

Okone1
Apprentice
Apprentice

When I spoke to r7000 support, they wanted to charge me to tell me how to open ports 80 and 443. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You probably don't need to open the ports to allow access unless you've done some configuration beyond the default security. If you need to, chapter 13 in the manual I downloaded looks like it would be the area you want to read. 

Sa9aX11
Guide
Guide

I had same problem for a while now, Arlo Cam (camera only) doesn't work when a storage device is connected to the R7000 USB ports. I did mention this to support a few times for while now, I got a few support people and technicians to help me but they couldn't fix it, all I got from them a beta firmaware to try, but this didn't fix my problem. I think this a bug.

Sal

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm using the beta firmware (1.06.40) and have a USB drive connected to the front USB3.0 connector and 3 wireless cameras with no problems.  I suppose there could be other models/devices that have issues.  WHat version are you using? 

BTW, there's a new beta out but it does NOT have Arlo support - it's aimed at 2.4GHz. connection problems.

mikeyb540
Aspirant
Aspirant

This did it for me! Thank you! But I also rebooted my router few times

and didnt add camera IPs

claudioita
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is now the Arlo cameras working if r7000 is in AP mode?

claudioita
Aspirant
Aspirant

My R7000 is not discovered from Arlo setup (I still have to buy the cameras, just testing the system). 

I have V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 firmware (BTW in netgear website I see only older firmware????)m, and using the r7000 in AP mode.

Is the new firmware (beta) good for arlo, r7000 AP mode?

If yes where I can download this firmware?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

claudioita wrote:

My R7000 is not discovered from Arlo setup (I still have to buy the cameras, just testing the system). 

I have V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 firmware (BTW in netgear website I see only older firmware????)m, and using the r7000 in AP mode.

Is the new firmware (beta) good for arlo, r7000 AP mode?

Your firmware is currently new enough to support Arlo (with bugs) - have you selected the Arlo section in the basic tab to ensure Arlo is enabled?  If it is, your issue is likely due to using the router in AP mode.  I don't use it as an AP so can't comment on whether it's supposed to work or not. The newer firmware may or may not help this.

claudioita
Aspirant
Aspirant

Decided not to go with Arlo system, if I understand correctly I can't save my footage locally but need to send it on the cloud?

Whaaaat??? My videos inside and outside my house on the cloud?

Not for me, thanks netgear and bye bye.

Also a only battery system might be confortable in the setup, but a big annoyance in chamging the batteries.

Will get me a stand alone NVR solution, or using IP cameras and QNAP surveillance station, which I own already.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

claudioita,

When an a Arlo camera detects and records motion, the recording is saved first to the Arlo cloud. From the cloud, the content can be downloaded and saved locally upon the users request.

Batteries are necessary to the design of the cameras to keep them wire-free. This allows for convenient placement and relocation at the discretion of the user. Under normal usage, you can expect batteries to last up to 4-6 months. 

I am sorry to hear that the Arlo wire-free system did not align with your needs. We appreciate the feedback.

Thank you for your contribution,

JamesC

claudioita
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is it possible to save my videos locally only?

Besides which is the reason to save videos and images of my house to the cloud?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No, you can't directly save the videos locally. They must go to the cloud first. You can then download them to keep them around before they disappear according to the number of days allowed by your plan. I have a Python script that I use to automate the downloading so I never miss a single video. Its not supported by Arlo but works fine. If you're interested, send me a pm with your email address. The major limitation is that it no longer can grab deleted files since Arlo must have adjusted their housekeeping strategy more tightly.

For sure, the reason to save them to the cloud is two-fold. 1) Access your videos from anywhere with a supported login (you don't have to set anything up like a VPN) and 2) allow Netgear to offer paid plans for longer storage.