Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Battery vs. Rechargeable question

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Jmarkj
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have my first outside camera installed and I will need to use a short ladder to reach it for battery maintenance. The cr123 batteries are a little pricey but they are much cheaper online. I have been looking at rechargeable batteries on ebay but all I find are no name Imports. EBay has hundreds and hundreds of different offerings of multiple batteries and charger sales. Are there any brand name suppliers of the cr123 rechargeable and if so where can I find them. And I guess are they worth it or should I just continue buying the good brand name battery?
4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Do not but the cheap over rated cells from Ebay ! ...like the GTLs, GTXs and any name ending in 'fire.

First, read the last ten pages of theis thread;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Rechargeable-batteries-for-use-with-Arlo-camera...

Also bear in mind due to troubles with fake/bad li-ions cells , Netgear doesn't recommend them in use.

If you decide to use them, they will prob run about 40-50 days per change out as they have a lower total mahr capacity than the OEM.

Alot also depends on your usage... in heavy use the rechargables record more time wise, lower use or spec the OEMs last longer.

Either way, you'll be changing them out on a reg basis so I guess it's your choice

( btw, my OEM run almost 4 months, rechargeables I change out at about 35 days or so ( but they get heavier useage ))

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Jmarkj
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks Tom. My ADT door sensors take the same battery and when I needed a couple I got the shock of my life at Walgreens. I then went on eBay and buy the sleeve 10 probably a dollar a piece instead of $6 a piece. Right now I only have one camera and probably one more soon. And I bought 8 brand name conventional cr123 and they will be here shortly so I should be in good shape for a while.
Thank you for taking the time to reply I appreciate it.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Jmarkj wrote:
Thanks Tom. My ADT door sensors take the same battery and when I needed a couple I got the shock of my life at Walgreens. I then went on eBay and buy the sleeve 10 probably a dollar a piece instead of $6 a piece. Right now I only have one camera and probably one more soon. And I bought 8 brand name conventional cr123 and they will be here shortly so I should be in good shape for a while.
Thank you for taking the time to reply I appreciate it.

FYI;  Even with the OEM batteries on Ebay there have been a bunch of fakes... try to buy from a known dealer.

Myself and others use BatteryJunction online ( tho feel free to use who you want ), I find the best prices on sale and shipping quick from them. Last batch were about $1.40 per piece.

Morse is faster than texting!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I would like to thank you for your posts and contributions! I want to make sure you take a look at an article outlining best practices when it comes to batteries. For those involved in this discussion I encourage you to review Remember these golden rules for your Arlo camera batteries along withBATTERY WARNINGS AND SAFETY.

Thank you for sharing! 

JamesC