Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
anthonyr1
Initiate
Initiate

I have a camera in the house and 1 outside, the camera outside records about 10 times a day and I have not had to change the battery at all (about 4 months so far) but the camera in the house that barely ever records I have had to change out the batteries twice within 4 months. I also didn't get any warnings it just goes offline and the light on the camera just blinks orange. That last time I looked at the camera was about 2 weeks ago and it was full. What can be the issue?

120 REPLIES 120
Jay513
Initiate
Initiate

Netgear -

I am having the same problem with one of my cameras.  I have 4.  I have tried reducing the record time, the quality, the time of recordings.  I switched batteries with the other cameras and switched locations.  My latest attempt was to turn the camera off from the Arlo portal and it still drained!   It has firmware 1.2.7730.  This is the only camera out of the 4 that eats up the batteries like this.  Note:  I am using the camera indoors. 

From what I am reading this is consistent with the others on this thread.  Please advise

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Swap the suspect camera with another to see if the problem remains with the camera or the location.  If it's the location, it may be that the WiFi signal is weak due to distance or walls, etc. blocking the signal or is being interfered with by other 2.4GHz devices, whether WiFi or wireless like cordless phones and microwave ovens.

If it's the camera itself, you'll need to open a case using the Contact Support link at the bottom here.

asiryam
Aspirant
Aspirant
Experience;
I have the same issue.
I have 4 of The 3030 version.
They all last up to ----------------- 2 months and maybe more.
One of them dry out the batteries of itself within 1 to 2 hrs.
I'm using one of the best rechargeable battery in the market with the highest mAh.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The CR123 3.7V GTL 2800mAH Li-ion Rechargeable Batteries is a great solution for Arlo 3030 users.
I have also a good charger for these batteries with a power charge tester so I can test each battery before I use it.
I'm sure that the FRAMEWARE of that camera I'm having issues with is up to date and I'm not supposed to get that issue.

But, I'm sure that my 3030 camera that dry out its batteries very quickly is having a water reached to inside its Circuit Board and that is why............................
I tested the Circuit Board of my 3030 camera and addressed the issue....
I'm very satisfied with Arlo system and the features available by the system they provide. Love it.
Arlo should secure these cameras with better camera house so no water can reach to the internal circuit board.

joyfullone1
Aspirant
Aspirant

My batteries die really fast on my indoor camera. I purchased rechargable batteries to save money and they only last for about 2.5 days. It is rediculous how often I have to change the batteries. 

The outdoor camera batteries I have not had to changed in months.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It would seem that either you're recording and/or live viewing way too much or the connection between the base and cameras is poor. You can swap cameras between I side and outside to see if the issue follows the camera or stays with the location.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

asiryam,

Arlo cameras are weatherproof (providing the battery compartment door has been closed properly).

1 to 2 hours is definitely not a normal battery life expectancy. What is the signal strength like for this camera? How much usage is this camera seeing? Does this camera behave the same way in other locations?

JamesC

joyfullone1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Since Dec 31, 2016 I have gone through 42 batteries.Streamlight 85177 CR123A Lithium Batteries, 12-Pack   are the type of batteries I am purchasing so basically I am spending about 20 per month on batteries. I was not expecting an additional expense for the purchase of batteries every month.

The outdoor camera is not a problem. It's the indoor camera.  What I am doing now is turning the camera off when I'm at home but part of the reason was to monitor my teens activity (when my front door opens) to see who entering my home when I am not at home.

The system is not working for this. Does the Arlo Pro have a better battery life.  

manfredz
Hero
Hero

THe Arlo Pro uses a rechargeable battery.  But you can also use rechargeables in the Arlo  (original).  Netgear recommends the Tenergy 3.7 V (gold colored ones) available on amazon and other sources; some other rechargeables also work; so are a problem.  Lots of posts of people sharing their experiences.I average 25-41 x 120 sec recordings daily and find the rechargeables last about 20 days before recharging.  I also check live video about every hour for a few seconds during the day/evening.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
How many total minutes of recording and live viewing are you normally doing a day when the batteries deplete rapidly? Spec life is for 5 minutes total or less.
manfredz
Hero
Hero

if question was for me, i average 60 min/day recording and maybe another 15 min of live viewing, so I'm no complaining about my experience.  Just brought up my usage to give other heavy users of what to expect.  My cams are all local and easy to get at so no problem to recharge a couple times a month.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope, manfredz, not for you but the detail you provided is useful so others can calibrate themselves with their usage.

asiryam
Aspirant
Aspirant
JamesC.....
Arlo is weather proof not water proof that means Arlo can't work under the water.
In my opinion, Arlo is not even weather proof otherwise why do they sell the housing case for it.....!
I use my all Arlo camera within an excellent wifi coverage.
My bay the door was not closed right.
Anyways, for best usage practicing you need to have a battery tester and a good quality charger with charging reader.
The only solution left is to plug this bad working camera to external rechargeable batteries which what I did and it worked well.
There will be some short wiring from the camera to the batteries but it works perfect.....
This method will allow my bad camera to last up to one year at least...... it's my personal estimation and expectation.
JamesC contact me at 913-271-2421 and I will show you how that could be done.....
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Who said anything about waterproof?

The covers are strictly for camouflage, not weatherproofing.
manfredz
Hero
Hero

I would never put them underwater because nowhere that I've seen are they touted as waterproof.

But they've all survived some pretty bad winter storms here with -20 temperature (C.).

You have to make sure the battery cover is securely in place or wind will drive water inside during a storm and then you could ruin your cam.

As mentioned the gelaton skins are in no way designed to make the cam waterproof or more water resistent but are purely for optics, to help make the white cam less noticeable.

Llbb
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same problem but when I put the battery in I could see that it does register 100% but for some reason it's draining really fast because the camera won't turn off I think
Llbb
Aspirant
Aspirant
See if you could get the blue light to go on and go onto the app and check to see if the battery reads having all the power, I did that and I noticed 100% then draining really quickly which means the software is running so the camera is engaged
foxwoood
Initiate
Initiate

Reading all the comments and I'm sure that there is an issue with this camera production looks like a bad lot. I bought one base and one camera and this camera works great and the battery lasts about 3-4 month. the second camera I bought new from e-bay and I think that this is the bad lot that everybody complaining about. placed in the same room, the same conditiones, not even in recording mode. The battery lasts for a week if I'm lucky just a waste of money and time and ,issing important events. I should be able to send back to Netgear to analyze it and admit that it's a bad lot and replace.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Perhaps that's wht you get by purchasing from an unauthorized vendor on eBay. You won't be able to get warranty support since it's not from an authorized vendor as spelled out in the warranty terms.  I'd almost bet that the seller knew the camera had an issue and just moved it on to you instead of going through support and getting an RMA. Unfortunately, there are WAY too many people who state they have problems here but won't go through support for a fix.  They apparently just sell the system instead and you get what you get.

Nlepard
Aspirant
Aspirant
I also seem to have a single camera that devours batteries in about four (4) days. I'm just trying to figure out if the camera is salvageable via new software, or should I just give up. The cameras worked great for months. Now this developed after the battery change in only one camera. I know the batteries were installed correctly, both times. They just lasted four (4) days. Any help.
Nlepard
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm just coat tail surfing here as my camera had the exact same experience while on disarmed.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you opened a case with support here? Hardware problems can't be solved in a user forum.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nlepard,

Swap the location with a working camera and see if the problem follows the camera or the location. It could be an issue at that cameras location that is causing the drain.

JamesC

SNOWWAY
Tutor
Tutor

you guys are really lucky my cameras barely last a few days or up to a week.
I buy them from cheaper from  Amazon, maybe the problem? But I also buy them

from a battery store and it makes no difference.  I think the cameras are pretty "JANKY"

to say the least.  They are costing me at least $95.00 a week to try to get them to work.
You say maybe I have an outdated software??? Where pray tell do I find thew update to see if this works?

SNOWWAY
Tutor
Tutor

SAME ISSUE HERE...I REMOVED EACH OF MY 6 CAMERAS AND ONLY 3 WORK GOOD

BUT THE BATTERIES ARE ALWAYS SHOWING DEAD OR REALLY LOW AFTER I CHANGE THEM...HELP! 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

SNOWWAY,

What brand batteries are you using? How often do you live stream your cameras and how many motion detection events are you recording per day?

JamesC