Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Batteries keep dying really quick

Discussion stats
anthonyr1
Initiate
Initiate

I have a camera in the house and 1 outside, the camera outside records about 10 times a day and I have not had to change the battery at all (about 4 months so far) but the camera in the house that barely ever records I have had to change out the batteries twice within 4 months. I also didn't get any warnings it just goes offline and the light on the camera just blinks orange. That last time I looked at the camera was about 2 weeks ago and it was full. What can be the issue?

120 REPLIES 120
Leedurbin
Guide
Guide

I would be interested in this new firmware.  Thank you.

Alecweb04
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes please, I'd like to participate in the field trial.

Thank you.
MattB21
Aspirant
Aspirant

I noticed that a new firmware update (Version 2.5.2.896_21688 Released 06/11/18) has been installed on my 4 Arlo Pro cameras. It appears to have slowed the rapid draining issue but will take time to see if my rapid discharging issue has been resolved. Batteries used to drain at around 1% per day but started draining 30+% per day in early June.

Previous firmware was Version 2.5.1.893_21608 Released 06/06/18.

NightRanger
Tutor
Tutor

HI MattB21,

I'm glad to see that your battery draining issues are being worked on your Arlo Pro cameras. I hope this problem is addressed soon with my VMC3030 caamera model. No firmware changes noted...

Leedurbin
Guide
Guide
MattB21
Aspirant
Aspirant

My cameras updated automatically last night. If your cameras are on, they should update between 3-5 am (not sure what timezone) when updates are available.

Here is the link to manually updating....
https://kb.arlo.com/4736/How-do-I-update-my-Arlo-firmware-manually

mostoits
Aspirant
Aspirant

First 6 months my cameras never needed a charge.  Its a house that we have that doesnt get used often.  I have a 5 camera system.  Since then, the past month my batteries drain in one week.  6 months to 1 week now after just one recharge since purchase.  Can someone assist please - this is so frustrating.  I cant charge these every few days

MattB21
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had a similar experience. My 4 camera batteries lasted an average of 3 months with active use. Then in early June, the batteries on all 4 began draining at 35+%  per day coinciding with a system firmware update Version
2.5.1.893_21608 Released 06/06/18.

Following a another update 2.5.2.896_21688 Released 06/11/18 three of four cameras went back to normal (3 mos drain) except one which is still draining rather quickly. So either the 4th camera or battery is faulty or the camera firmware has not been updated.

Netgear have provided no feedback whatsoever after repeated emails to them.

NightRanger
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Mostoits,

I suggest you contact tech support and create Support Case. They're usually responsive but so far it's been nearly 3 days since I submitted one...which is unordinary for me.

Anyway, I received the following advice some time ago. It didn't work for me but IT MIGHT work you:

1. Move the affected camera close to the base station.
2. Access your Arlo account and navigate to Settings > My Devices > select the problem camera > "Remove Device" button.
3. Once the problem camera has been removed, please turn off your Wi-Fi router and Arlo base station.
4. Switch on the Wi-Fi router first, followed by the Arlo base station. Then, wait 2 minutes for both to settle down.
5. Re-sync the problem camera by following the usual camera syncing process.
6. Put the camera back where you had it.
7. Observe if the camera's connection will stabilize or not.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

New Base station firmware has been released that should help resolve the issue being discussed here. Check your base station firmware to be sure you are up to date with the latest available version.

Take a look here for more information on this firmware: Firmware Release Scheduled 6/21 to Address IR Rapid Battery Drain and Modes and Schedules Issues

JamesC

NightRanger
Tutor
Tutor

I am happy to report that Arlo's Tech Support (Kathleen) took into consideration all the problems I've been having with my affected camera and replaced it with a new one! Although the camera was many months past its warranty expiration date, I was gifted with a 'complimentary' camera anyway. Thanks again Kathleen and Arlo Tech Support for your generosity and understanding!

cthomasljr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo Wire Free

HW sersion H11

Firmware version 1.2.21616

I have two cameras, one for my front door and a second for the back door.  After setting the cameras up, they worked perfectly for about the first 4 months.  I was very happy with how they functioned and also felt the battery power life was more than reasonable.  The last month and a half I have had just about every problem you can think of and nothing has changed on my end (setup or configuration)  I have had issues with battery power fluctuating from 75% to less than 5% only to have it go back up to 80% after readjusting the batteries.  I placed new batteries in the camera because the original batteries went from 50% to almost 0% after 5 months (which I had no problems with because 5 months was a long time for the battery to last through the conditions we had in Ohio since January. But when I put new batteries in, it only gave the camera 50% power.  I read on a support forum that sometimes you need to adjust the batteries, dont push them down all the way, let the lid for the battery put it in place ect.  After doing this the power went from 50% to 100%, but the power continues to go up and down and I find myself readjusting them all the time for this reason.  I know the new batteries should not need replaced, they are quality energiser batteries that fir the arlo.   Also the night vision on the cameras seems to not work at times, and when it does work its not as bright as it was when I first got the cameras.  Then there are times when the camera does not detect motion.  They used to trigger anytime someone would step within range and record and send a notice.  Now I can have the same person walk by ten times in the same spot directly in fron of the camera and it will only trigger the motion sensor maybe 6 out of those 10 times.  I know because I tested this myself.  I am tired of taking the cameras off the mount and re-syncing them.  Im tired of resetting and adjusting them.  All the trouble shooting works temporarily but I find the camera will go back to having issues within a week or so.  There is no reason for this.  These cameras are not even a year old, and they worked perfectly when first set up.  I tried going on a live chat to speak with someone from support but the chats always cancel due to no agents being available (which is highly questionable)  The contact us page has no email address to send concerns or complaints directly to the company.  They have a number you can call if you have time to sit on hold.  As a matter of fact, I am convinced that all support comes from consumers like me that have had more time with the product and are able to answer questions for new people.  There seems to be no one you can reach out to with real accountability.  I should not have new cameras that need reset, re synced, or re adjusted every month.  I am very frustrated with these cameras and the lack of support from netgear.  I dont want to talk to somone who is a customer just like me who over came issues with the camera.  I want to speak with someone who is trained on the product and who can escalate if needed.

88Gabe
Star
Star
Hi would like to participate please.
Ewg1022
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem. Arlo customer support said to disgard the camera and purchase a new one. What a fix!!

I have has 2 out of 3 cameras die. 

MattB21
Aspirant
Aspirant

Since the big problem with batteries dying rapidly in early June (2018) and a new firmware upgrade, my camera batteries are no longer dying in 24-48 hours. However, they now only last about 30 days versus 90 days before the firmware problem.

So is the short-battery life problem still due to a firmware issue or are the batteries degrading more quickly (which means the batteries are faulty)? Our Arlo Pro 4 camera system is 7 months old.

88Gabe
Star
Star
Matty,

Batteries also have a short life span in the cold. I'm not sure which location your in, however I live in Sydney and I expect the battery life to be shorter in the colder months, but just not in 2-4 days.
MattB21
Aspirant
Aspirant

Gabe;

We're on the West Coast (Canada). Its summer now and has been warm. My batteries lasted a lot longer during winter than they do now so temperature is not the problem at least in our case....

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team is continuing to investigate reports from users on increased battery drain. With each recently released firmware update we've seen feedback from many users that these firmware updates have been improving the issue for some. While I understand others continue to experience battery issues, I want to ensure you the engineering team is putting forth their best effort to identify and resolve any issues that may still remain. As I find out more information on this ongoing investigation, I will post an update.

MattB21
Aspirant
Aspirant

Last firmware update I have is 6/19/2018. Camera batteries are now lasting a month as opposed to 3 mos before June... Getting very good at climbing ladders to recharge.

Won't be so easy when the snow starts flying and battery life declines even further in the colder temps.

@JamesC wrote:

The engineering team is continuing to investigate reports from users on increased battery drain. With each recently released firmware update we've seen feedback from many users that these firmware updates have been improving the issue for some. While I understand others continue to experience battery issues, I want to ensure you the engineering team is putting forth their best effort to identify and resolve any issues that may still remain. As I find out more information on this ongoing investigation, I will post an update.

cthomasljr
Aspirant
Aspirant
My batteries did just fine all winter and I'm in Ohio. They lasted from January to May. I have only had problems during the last few months after replacing the batteries with brand new energizers from best buy.
MattB21
Aspirant
Aspirant

Interesting that Arlo stock went public today (ARLO) given all the problems customers are having with their cameras and batteries. A check of major retailer websites reveals a large number of complaints in customer reviews, especially with battery life and poor customer support. This has got to be hurting sales. Will be interesting to see how stock does with this headwind. Hope they get this problem fixed soon. Have put in a warranty claim two months ago but no word back from Netgear.